Win XP Install / SATA

Panda On Smack

Can't get enough of FH
Ok, i have an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium mobo and a WD 250GB SATA HD

Bizarre as it sounds i dont know how to get XP installed.

Cant seem to work out the whole routine. Anyone got pointers on what to do?

Ive tried bootdisks and loading drivers during installation but cant seem to get past the first reboot.

Ive turned RAID off in the Bios because as far as i can tell i dont need/want it?

Do i need a bootdisk for SATA drivers?

ta

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Just install it without drivers, it worked for me, although I was using SP2.

Panda On Smack

Can't get enough of FH
Im trying XP with SP1, i ahve a SP2 Cd but i need to call Microsoft and work out my Serial as its not on the cd case :(

It seems like you have to have certain bios settings, im not sure how true that is

Bit fiddly

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Nforce based mobo? If so I installed xp pro oem (original) a while ago just using default drivers, worked fine. That was Nforce3 mind.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
in BIOS, have you enabled the SATA port that the drive is connected to?

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
Yes, sata drivers. Or at least I think so. I had the same problem - after the install from the CD (XP SP1), the HD isnt recognised. Around that time, the forums were rife with similar tales of satas being a bitch to install. There is an opportunity to load drivers from a floppy...but my pc didnt have a floppy. After much arseing around the problem spontaneously fixed itself (it took 8-10 attmepted reboots and 2 days to fix :twak: ). If you get an opportunity to install the chipset drivers, I would take it.

edit..oh yes, I totally disable the onboard RAID controller in the Bios, routinely. It really slows down bootup.

Panda On Smack

Can't get enough of FH
Cheers guys

if i boot into my current setup using my ide drive i can see the SATA disk and format/partition it etc in windows. It all works fine so its a case of working out the install process.

Will keep trying

nath

Fledgling Freddie
If you're installing it fine but it doesn't get past the first reboot it sounds like the SATA drive isn't set to be the first boot device. Seems a little obvious, but have you checked to make sure it is?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
indeed. Nath is the voice of my thoughts. what happened to me was that when I plugged in my second SATA drive the BIOS still tried to boot off it first even though it was in the secondary port :/

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Check what nath said :)

Also your XP SP2 CD-key is the same as your XP CD-key, so you may as well install from an SP2 disk as it'll save you all those downloads.

When I install on my RAID/SATA I have to use a driver disk so Windows' installer can see the drives, then it all works fine. I have my RAID set to the first boot device :)

Panda On Smack

Can't get enough of FH
I turned off the IDe channels, used my XP SP2 CD (had to call MS for serial) and all worked fine

Just installing everythign i need at the moment

cheers guys

Windows loads rather quickly compared to old IDE install

Panda On Smack

Can't get enough of FH
1 query i have is that in the system tray i have the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon and in there i have my SATA HD.

Is that right?

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah, SATA supports hot-swap. Not that it would be a good idea to do it on the volume that windows is installed on!

TdC

indeed. that worried me too for a sec. I can see myself stopping a SATA drive instead of my ipod / camera at some point :D

TdC

yeah mate: properties of taskbar > customize; then change properties of "Safely remone hardware" from [highlight]Hide when inactive[/highlight] to [highlight]Always Hide[/highlight] and it will be gone for good. You can prolly do the same from the controlpanel anyway I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom