win 2000 system speed up???

P

phipck

k, im running a dual p3 1gig system with 1024mb ram on win2000, there are copious amounts of system 'tweeks' for win 9x and xp but no one seems to comment on good old 2k.
simple things like the truth about virtual ram allocation and its effects on performance would fit right in here.

any tricks, tweeks or simple suggestions would benifit many 2k users out there just like myself. so please start them rolling in!

M

Mellow-

Don't install rubbish on it.

When you do install things disable the "auto run on startup" features

Set your virtual memory to 1.5 times your amount of RAM.

P

phipck

k, so why 1.5? ram is faster than hdd so wouldnt a lower amount reduce the usage of the slower hdd access speed and increace performance as i have more than enough ram?

im intregued by the theory behind these things. cos nowhere seems to explain the reasons behind thier tweeks.

thanks for the post

T

Testin da Cable

um. the memory model windows uses fools the system iirc. you need paging space so the system can write unused pages in ram out to disk, effectively freeing precious ram so it can be filled with more new programs.
a windows machine will allways use the pagefile if it's enabled, regardless of load et al, and setting it to 1.5xramsize is a good average. if you use heavy programs like photoshop lots, it's a good idea to a) have as much ram as can effectively fit in your system and b) set your pagefile to 2 (or more) x ram space and c) put your pagefile on a dedicated drive thats as fast as you can get it and doesn't hold windows or photoshop (in this example). that's about all I feel like typing this morning.

P

phipck

good man, ur full of knowlege, feel like writting more now?

so 1.5 is a good average if u are using intensive memory programes but what about games? would they compare to the system usage of photoshop ( to my knowlege they dont realy) so would a different set up be preferable?

and is there anything else a 2000 user can do to smooth things out without building a new computer ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom