Sport Wimbledon 2012

Embattle

FH is my second home
I'm not sure Murry will ever manage a major personally, he just folds too often.

Embattle

FH is my second home
He will win one. He doesn't fold, he lost to a better player and fought well the whole way.

It isn't a total fold, it is just something in his game collapses and you just can't do that in the current generation of players.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
It's like Pete Sampras in the 90's with Goran Ivanisevic. Once Pete started to slide then Goran pinched one.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Thought Murray might have a chance until about halfway through the second, then it was pretty much one-way traffic all the way from then on. Federer is just a joy to watch, there's nobody else like him. He just.... glides.

Embattle

FH is my second home
It's like Pete Sampras in the 90's with Goran Ivanisevic. Once Pete started to slide then Goran pinched one.

True but then you could argue there are three Pete's that play at the moment.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
At the emotional trophy ceremony, the Mrs was commenting on their appearances. Federer looks like a champion: smiling, tanned, confident, wavy hair, cool headband, and a smart jumper and flashy wristwatch for trophy time. Murray looked like a half starved frozen chicken in a cheap T-shirt. Poor lamb.

Federer owned the court, Murray was sent flailing all over the place.

Good luck next year, Andy.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Lulwut? He looks like a winner because he's got cool hair?

What about when a skinny ginger German kid won it in the eighties?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I dunno....maybe my Mrs has a crush on Federer....;)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
He would do a lot better if he could get the ball over the net on the first serve. Maybe they need to lower it for him?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Its easy to pull Murray's game apart, but he was up against the best player in the world, and Federer was pulling some amazing returns with often pinpoint accuracy. He had Murray running all over the court, and made him look amateurish sometimes. Fed's in a different league to Murray. Murray's still world no.4, and he's a great player, but I don't think anyone could have beaten the Swiss today. He was on fire.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Tell you what though, even as a non-fan of Tennis, it was still difficult to watch Murray's speech afterwards without also shedding a tear - genuine emotion from a human being. One of the few things us Brits are good at is being the plucky loser and being Human.

rynnor

Rockhound
One of the few things us Brits are good at is being the plucky loser and being Human.

Thats part of the reason we have so many losers - sod this "at least you tried your best" crap - thats why we are doomed to eternal also rans like Henman/Murray.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Murray tried his best and it wasn't enough against the best tennis player ever, who had a particularly good day. I think the term 'at least you tried your best' does apply here. Maybe the eternal fucking negativity from so many brits is half the problem.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Murray tried his best and it wasn't enough against the best tennis player ever, who had a particularly good day. I think the term 'at least you tried your best' does apply here. Maybe the eternal fucking negativity from so many brits is half the problem.

Trying and doing your best are very different, as shown in his first serves %.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Andy Murray - famous for winning matches with a multitude of aces and big first serves...

or for being the best returner in the sport.

rynnor

Rockhound
Maybe the eternal fucking negativity from so many brits is half the problem.

What negativity? The media have been gushing since the start of Wimbledon - our problem as a nation is we cant tell a racehorse from a shetland pony.

There's something brittle in British sportsmen as a whole - when expectation is on them they underperform - in other countries it spurs a team on.

sayward

Resident Freddy
He won't tho, will he.. ;)

Edit: Just noticed that Murray's won the first game tho :)
That's the trouble. Federer's a wonderful tennis player just think he's had a personality by pass.

sayward

Resident Freddy
What negativity? The media have been gushing since the start of Wimbledon - our problem as a nation is we cant tell a racehorse from a shetland pony.

There's something brittle in British sportsmen as a whole - when expectation is on them they underperform - in other countries it spurs a team on.
I'm sure I've said it on here before, it's because Europe and the USA treat their children as tho they are gods so they grow up believing that they can do anything. Brits as parents totally fail here. Our children don't grow up confident enough or with such big egos. Or is it the killer instinct?

sayward

Resident Freddy
On the other hand maybe Murray just didn't want the first dance with the Williams sister?

Embattle

FH is my second home
Andy Murray - famous for winning matches with a multitude of aces and big first serves...

or for being the best returner in the sport.

Getting them in helps, if you think they don't then perhaps you should comment on other activities like tiddlywinks or something.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Of course it helps, but it isn't what has made Murray number 4 in the world. Federer doesn't have a great backhand and makes mistakes when forced on to it... doesn't make him a shit player.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
It's such a distorted view, do you think the press from the home countries of the players who were beaten to the final are autopsying their player like this, it's fucking disturbing, the Telegraph has every single commentor talking about Murray and referring to the match like it's some battle of the gods.
I don't usually make crass comments like this..but it's frickin game of tennis!
We put the hopes of a nation on poor old Murray after our hopeless football team went belly up as usual and the rhetoric in the papers was just pinful 'Britain expects'
They were dying to write 'England expects' and to be honest that was the truth.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
He was beaten because Federer is in a different league to him and he folded under pressure. If he could have stung a few first serves together it may have been different, I thought it should be easier to serve indoors surely?

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
Probably easier indoors with less wind etc, but I doubt anything is easy with that much pressure on you in a final.

also I think

No shame in coming second to Roger.

/thread :p

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
My Mrs finds me easier to live with indoors with no wind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom