Will Warhammer have a offical Forum?

Kuhan

Loyal Freddie
Like other games such as EQ, WoW, Vangard [even though it sucks] will warhammer have a offical forum for each server?

Afran

Part of the furniture
Like other games such as EQ, WoW (even though it sucks), Vanguard [even though it owns] will warhammer have a offical forum for each server?

Edited for truths!

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
No.
Neither we nor Mythic are going to have official forums for Warhammer. We will however support fansites with official postings and dev/community bod presence.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Bad idea imo, Freddyshouse flamebaiting and whining didnt really help DAOC did it?......

:rolleyes:

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Lol nice lazy setup GoMythic has. "yeah, lets NOT have an official forum, cause then we can reply when we see fit".

The WoW forum was good because you could raise issues on there and a gm would more than likely pick the issue up. Or you could have a section for the patches and we could all report errors.

I just hope your not using RightNow

Hubix

Fledgling Freddie
No.
Neither we nor Mythic are going to have official forums for Warhammer. We will however support fansites with official postings and dev/community bod presence.

How can u run a company and let some other fan sites take the cost of running a unoffical website? Warhammer is suppose to be a big game and u are not even planning a offical forum.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Mark Jacobs answered this point already here, here and here.

I agree entirely with his reasoning.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
I hope not. There is nothing more wrong than billion of stupid carebear lemmings being killed and crying out loud for nerfs of certain skills, professions, classes or even individuals or parties in a MMORPG followed by a nerf bat.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
I don't particularly care if GoA/Mythic host WAR forums or not.

One thing I would particularly like is for them to offer some way of authenticating genuine players for unofficial forums. Something like OpenID. A solution like this would allow websites and especially forums to authenticate a player with their character name and server, if their account is open, etc.

At least this way people could run forums in a semi-official way, similar to the WoW forums.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Linking posting to an account would be nice for some parts of the forum but not all of it - questions from potential players for example aren't possible in that environment.

As long as a forum isn't deemed to be "official" it'll be free of most of the "WAAH MYTHIC ATE MY HAMSTER!" whine that you see on the official WoW forums and once saw on the VN Dev's round table - if people think the dev's are reading they will whine an awful lot louder.

There's already a freddyshouse warhammer forum though it's not that busy at the moment, this might change as we get closer to release.

https://forums.freddyshouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=308

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Linking posting to an account would be nice for some parts of the forum but not all of it - questions from potential players for example aren't possible in that environment.

As long as a forum isn't deemed to be "official" it'll be free of most of the "WAAH MYTHIC ATE MY HAMSTER!" whine that you see on the official WoW forums and once saw on the VN Dev's round table - if people think the dev's are reading they will whine an awful lot louder.

There's already a freddyshouse warhammer forum though it's not that busy at the moment, this might change as we get closer to release.

https://forums.freddyshouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=308

Well, given what Req has said and that the official stance on what is, I still think this is rather amateur of them to just say no without further developing why they said it, albeit they gave their reason. But to not even suggest a link to where the official forums these days is imo commercial suicide. Ok things have worked in the past for GOA and Mythic (EA) in the way it has worked, but for companies like Turbine who gladly link their own sites to such forum sites point the way forward where GOA and Mythic seem to be lacking. I can see the reasons as to why they are taking their stance on this issue, but really, that's old hat these days and they should be thinking more of customer relations - especially with a new game. Who knows, more round table discussions may realise the potential of this rather than linking to FH. Not that there is anything wrong with what they have done in the past, just that a new position centralises it rather than just obliquely pointing to a node that has no real relevance to what their aim and projection is with regard to WAR/WHO. If that was my company, I would be wanting to centralise all queries, praises etc to the site via a link from the Official one and for very good reasons - very commercial reasons if anything else.

But again, time is on their side and changes may yet take place, whether or not I have second guessed them is another matter. Flim that thing sucked, I think Brockwurst next time tbh xD

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
I remember the official GOA forums, never before have I seen such a rechid hive of scum and villiany, we must be cautious!

Anyway, it was a pure flame fest, with constant reminders that GOA didnt make the game, that Prulgor didnt give group discounts for guilds that all used his services, and that being killed by a purple con mobs was quite normal. Most official forums I have seen have so much moderation many see it as strangling the users, whereas if the users asked sensible questions, they would get sensible answers.

I would like to see an official forum, but directly linked to open accounts only, so people use it wisely, instead of spouting off with every opportunity.

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
Agreed. A filter to keep out people aren't actually playing the game would be nice.

GReaper

Part of the furniture

I'd say it would be useful for the majority of DAoC forums here though. If you could setup RvR discussions to be restricted to those who have an active account with any character on Dyvet then you'd probably remove quite a few useless posters who have no intentions of playing the game again. General Discussion would benefit from not being restricted though.

It would be a good compromise for Mythic/GOA. They could point to certain unofficial forums, those forums could restrict non-players to reduce the amount of flame threads.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
it'd be fairly simple to weed out the people flaming who don't play via moderation. Would have to be set out in the rules here first though.

Hubix

Fledgling Freddie
Without a Offical Forum the playerbase is spread out on all differnt forums trying to do the same thing.

with a offical forum they can implement a system where only active accounts can post to stop the whine/flame as previously stated in this thread. with unoffical forums you are always going to get the kiddies who quit whining TTing the game 24/7. there should atleast be a server forum for each Server ast the least.

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
GOA need to take a look at how Codemasters use their forums - the GM's are not some anonymous posting-person - they stand there with the heads above the parapet :)

a prime example is the beta forums for lotr

Nate

FH is my second home
If FH becomes the main English Euro forum for WAR I really hope they look at how it went with DAoC over the years, and thus review the way they handle such forums. It is absolutely ridiculous how bad some of the threads hate, flaming, whining and a lot more hate is here.

The mod's don't go far enough to police the area, so many threads go un-moderrated either because there aren't enough active mod's or they just don't read a particular part of the forum.

Please set up some new rules when the WAR forum gets a bit busier.

A general section being open to all users of the forum and then anything further then that requiring activation of an gaming account link would be wise imo.

Nate

FH is my second home
Why wouldn't it be? GOA will most likley link to FH through the WAR-EU site as they have with DAoC, thus FH became the main(most popular) forum for the Euro English servers.

Gamah

Banned
Why wouldn't it be? GOA will most likley link to FH through the WAR-EU site as they have with DAoC, thus FH became the main(most popular) forum for the Euro English servers.

Because other forums already have bigger communities. Doac players will make a tiny % of the Warhammer population.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Blimey! Ello Roo!!

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
One of the biggest problems with an 'official' forum is the sort of thing you see on the WoW forums; everyone thinks everything they say will immediately be read by the CEO and board of directors of Blizzard within 5 minutes of it being posted, and so the forums get filled with BLIZZARD READ PLZZZZ KTHX crap, usually by someone demanding that someone else's class be nerfed.

Meh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom