Will it have PVP

P

Poseidon

Will there be PVP in FFXI as in daoc, that u team up and kick ass :=)??

S

Sharma

The PvP element is a bit cloudly atm, not much info about it but there will be PvP.

W

Whisperess

PvP will differ greatly from Daoc since it's non-PK based. ( No playerkilling ). Instead it will be based on the Conquest system that's already active on the servers. ( in what way however, I don't know ).

The info above is stated at the official website, it's well worth a visit.

F

Faeldawn

Supposedly its going to be a passive rvr system, whatever the hell that means (Japanese player told me as much).

The pvp is most likely to be duelling afaik.

Gotta remember this is essentially a co-op game, different realms can be part of the same LS so realm wars are out.

FFXI is what griefers would call a "care-bear" game, and if any form of PK system was introduced it would probably destroy the wonderfully friendly atmosphere we currently enjoy in the game.

PK attracts griefers, especially in an environment where they feel they could be the preverbial wolves with a large herd of sheep unwittingly there for the slaughter.

Just my tuppence.

L

lairiodd

Supposedly its going to be a passive rvr system, whatever the hell that means (Japanese player told me as much).

The pvp is most likely to be duelling afaik.

Square posting extra info for the Japanese players :) ?

Tbh, I think the engine would have trouble handling pvp like in daoc. There is a 15-20 sec delay before people show up on your screen in cities ... not exactly good for pvp. Also, targetting is a nightmare ... all my macros use <bt> (target mob rest of group is hitting) :) so I dont have to target anything.

W

Whisperess

In all fairness, does this game really need PvP?

I like it the way it is - friendly competition conquest wise between the different nations, without having to resolve to direct fights between them. ( Conquest ranking sure has a heavy impact on the economy atleast )

I'm guessing that if anything it will be competition based group vs monsters. Rewards for killing off certain areas faster than a group from other nations etc.

J

Jaxal

Originally posted by Whisperess
I'm guessing that if anything it will be competition based group vs monsters. Rewards for killing off certain areas faster than a group from other nations etc.

doubt it, cuz that would be pve again (player vs enemy) :)

W

Whisperess

Originally posted by Jaxal
doubt it, cuz that would be pve again (player vs enemy) :)
No it wouldn't. I would pit groups of players against eachother in a direct competition, thus PvP ( Player vs Player ).

Since the PvP that's coming does not involve PK ( Player-killing ) - how would you suggest it would work in your definition of PvP ?

O

old.ST200

The term PvP has forever suggested that players are in combat with other players.

Anything else is PvM, or PvE.

J

Jaxal

yea, like ST said

cant predict what it'll be like, but as far as i know pvp means players fighting vs players (instead of monsters as in pve)

maybe with the no pk'ing they meant it wont be possible to cause grief like in other games such as UO

hell i dunno whisperess, just guessing here myself :p

all i know is, pvp is players fighting players and it has been like that in all other games

W

Whisperess

How about an arena type thing?

Like a gladiator fight, one team vs. another ( a team can be all from 1 to 18 players, the winners get profits and support from Jeuno in the Conquest system?

That would work, wouldn't it? ( and I would probably like it :) )

O

old.ST200

From what I've seen of the game so far, I don't think any system where players fight other players will work out well. Everything is so obviously tuned for pve battles, I can't see it being great :) (imo)

Users who are viewing this thread