Wikipedia

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Wikipedia comes in Tome Reader format and I often browse through it on my Palm PDA, comes in useful during "pub quiz" events :D

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
Cheat :)

Do love Wiki, started to read it a few months ago and have started to add links to certain articles, it is an amazing resource and easily the best thing on the internet.

As for planes If I won the lottery I would have to try and get a ride on one of these - Tu-160 , well as long as it flew close to NAP of the earth at close to Mach 2 anyway :)

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
xane said:
Wikipedia comes in Tome Reader format and I often browse through it on my Palm PDA, comes in useful during "pub quiz" events :D

how do you get that?

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Bollocks to that, its a biscuit.

Legal proceedings prove absolutely nothing, lawyers will argue black is white if paid to do it.

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
Thanks for getting me hooked... I had planned to spend the evening playing WoW.... :m00:

GDW

Fledgling Freddie
xane said:

Where can you get that format Xane, I don see it on the main website?

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Whoa, just read the story on Sharon Tate. :/

xane

Fledgling Freddie
What you can't get in the TR download is the discussion pages, some of which can get really interesting on the disputed articles, try looking at the one for Jenin to see what I mean.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Ukle said:
... and have started to add links to certain articles, it is an amazing resource and easily the best thing on the internet.

People are constantly adding in line with current affairs, to the extent it is nearly always up to date, for example, look up
Omar bin Bakri Muhammad
and it'll already state he has fled the UK !

Summo

Loyal Freddie
You guys are all correct! Wikipedia is the best thing on the Internet. I find it a good companion to Google Sightseeing which is in turn a good companion to Google Earth.

I'm on summer hols now and a while ago was reading up on the city wot is now my home, in an attempt to stop feeling like a tourist.

Did you know a bridge has existed at the site of London Bridge for nearly 2000 years? Amazing. Also, in around 1212 fires broke out on both ends of the bridge simultaneously, resulting in the deaths of 3,000 people. Early terrorism? I read this shortly after the 7/7 bombings and was amazed to think how the deaths of 3000 people would have affected the city. Incredible.

Especially when you consider that the Great Fire of London, which wiped out almost the entire city, only killed between 9-16 people.

Take a look at the London Underground, Tyburn (which prompted me to go and visit the memorial plaque near Marble Arch (which incidentaly used to be the gateway to Buckingham Palace, Tower of London and so on.

Well, you know what it's like. One article leads to another until suddenly its 4am.

WIKIPEDIA STOLE MY SOUL BUT MADE MY BRAIN BIGGER so thanks.

Nightchill

Can't get enough of FH
Some few tidbits then:

- On jack daniels the town's population reads "population 361" where it is in fact ~6000. This is due to the entire label being trademarked in its conception and, to change the population listed, they'd have to apply for a new trademark.

- Red light districts come from the biblical story of Rahab, a prostitute in Jericho who aided the spies of Joshua and identified her house with a scarlet rope.

- Microsoft was the second choice for IBM for an OS. MS didn't have one at the time so they purchased a CP/M clone called QDOS ("Quick and Dirty Operating System").

- The surface of a pringle is curved at every point resulting in fewer stress fractures and broken crisps.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I managed to clear up the confusion haunting my brain concerning the Duracell Bunny and the Energizer Bunny.

Summo

Loyal Freddie
Also, the Thames was once a tributary of the River Rhine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom