News Wikileaks - smear campaign being run against them?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
In the last couple of months there has been alot of dirt thrown at Wikileaks, some of it's admins and even it's founder...

BBC News - Swedish rape warrant for Wikileaks' Assange cancelled

...but it all seems a little too convienent, lacking in actual evidence and of course on the back of some massive expose stories by Wikileaks which have made the American administration or it's military look decidedly dodgy.

Would be interested to hear other peoples views on this.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Yes quite obviously, it's a load of bullshit.

Wikileaks does the world a great service, i hope people realise this and try and protect it. Surely USA's first amendment should have them pretty well covered?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
does seem a bit strange and reading some of the accounts of the rape charges seem a bit weak

but then i have only really been following this on Wiki-leaks friendly papers, im pretty sure they dont want to print anything bad about him as then their "exclusive access" to any new wiki-leaks documents might be cut off and handed to their competitors

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Considering the two women involved were bragging about sleeping with him, and then deleted those posts from twitter, this is ridiculous.

Sweden's just made an arse of itself, and by extension so has our legal system.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I find it fucking odd how its jumped from him Harassing a woman upto rape... even stevie wonder could see its bs.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
America will probably get it's way eventually, even if the whole thing does stink.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Wouldn't put something like that past anyone i don't know personally, but in this case it is too convinient to warrant a bit of paranoia.

rynnor

Rockhound
Its crazy swedish laws on rape (though its not any kind of rape we would recognise in the uk) - if the women complain not much else to be done about it.

Dont sleep with swedes has to be the moral here :p

I don't think the conspiracy idea's are credible tbh - not in sweden.

Nate

FH is my second home
I saw the Panorama about it, was pretty interesting but totally negative about Wikileaks. If what was said is to be believed the guy didn't do himself any favours leaving names of informants in e-mails and publishing them to the Internet, those people are in serious trouble now. With him saying something along the lines of "If they die, it's their fault for being informants."

They did say though that if any government tries to take Wikileaks out it will pop up in another country and since it's a pioneer it is likely to make mistakes which will be highlighted to future whistleblowing organisations which won't make these mistakes(there are others coming about, a few were advertised in the program).

BBC iPlayer - Panorama: WikiLeaks: The Secret Story

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Last I read the US government admitted there was no evidence yet suggesting anyone had been put in danger or hurt by wikileaks.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Its crazy swedish laws on rape (though its not any kind of rape we would recognise in the uk) - if the women complain not much else to be done about it.

Dont sleep with swedes has to be the moral here :p

I don't think the conspiracy idea's are credible tbh - not in sweden.
Well should get it in writing that she is agreeing to let you probe her and how you are to do so... :p

But more on the story

BBC News - Wikileaks: Julian Assange v Sweden's broad sexual laws

I just think Mr Assange is making a fool out of himself atm.

Helme

Resident Freddy
Wikileaks does the world a great service, i hope people realise this and try and protect it. Surely USA's first amendment should have them pretty well covered?
I know this is an old post but I doubt many would cry for the first amendment in the US in defense of Assange and Wikileaks, there was a poll made recently - I can't remember where atm but I'll see if I can dig it up, where about 40,000 Americans participated and about 70% called what Assange was doing treason and wanted him executed. Nevermind that he's you know, not American...

Ormorof

FH is my second home
but the guy who leaked it is, and might even get shot!

maybe he can get political asylum somewhere! (if he can get away, he is in jail i believe!)

Helme

Resident Freddy
He's in 23h/day isolation and has been since he got caught.

rynnor

Rockhound
Oops - been away but also on the wikileaks stuff I actually looked through the first database they published and it completely compromised some informants which I thought was pretty poor.

One in Iran said he had been 'a member of the national fencing team' and other details - pretty sure the Iranians could work out who that individual was tbh.

Pretty irresponsible - I hope that guy was already out of Iran...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom