Wij's Dawn Of War workshop

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Any questions ? Ask away. I know my stuff, in theory, even if not in practice. I've been reading relic forums for ages. Ask me something and I will help0r !

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
I keep getting rushed by Zerglings! What should i do????

Aada

Part of the furniture
Wij said:
Any questions ? Ask away. I know my stuff, in theory, even if not in practice. I've been reading relic forums for ages. Ask me something and I will help0r !

How many races in total can you play in multiplayer.

And is there an ingame ranking ladder.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Munkey said:
I keep getting rushed by Zerglings! What should i do????

Balanced build beats rush. Swap the CDs.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Aada said:
How many races in total can you play in multiplayer.

And is there an ingame ranking ladder.

There are 5 races in Winter Assault. There will be 7 in Dark Crusade. You can play all of them in multiplayer although obviously only one in each game. Each player can select any race at the start or random.

There are all kinds of rankings built in and yes, there is a ladder. Just select Automatch to be selected for a 1v1 near your skill level. If you win you get a higher aranking and should play someone better next time etc...

You don't get a mid-game score (like AoK) to the best of my knowledge.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
Wij said:
There are 5 races in Winter Assault. There will be 7 in Dark Crusade. You can play all of them in multiplayer although obviously only one in each game. Each player can select any race at the start or random.

Hope ya don't mind me jumping in but I thought it should be mentioned that unless you own DoW, WA and DC you won't be able to use all the races in multiplayer. Instead you will only have access to the races originally introduced in each product e.g. if you only have DC you will only have access to the Tau and Necron races online. It also appears which products you own will impact on which players you can play against online.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
A bloke called Wij rodgered me ragged a week or two ago in DOW/WA online. What can I do?

Tilda

As eldar, how do I beat a rush with ASMs (the flying things)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Krazeh said:
Hope ya don't mind me jumping in but I thought it should be mentioned that unless you own DoW, WA and DC you won't be able to use all the races in multiplayer. Instead you will only have access to the races originally introduced in each product e.g. if you only have DC you will only have access to the Tau and Necron races online. It also appears which products you own will impact on which players you can play against online.
DoW is the main game, WA and DC are add-ons and will not work without DoW.

If you launch DoW you only have access to the DoW online lobbies and gameplay. If you launch WA (and DC when it comes out) you get access to different online lobbies, more maps and a better online experience (extra units, races and other minor changes which greatly improve the game).

Tilda said:
As eldar, how do I beat a rush with ASMs (the flying things)

Hehehe - I boned you good with the early ASM raids.

You were using gaurdians and harlequins against my ASM. but you didnt use them together, your harlequins are not as durable in close combat in tier 1, and die to quickly to make any impact on my ASM without some fire support in the form of gaurdians or dark reapers. And visa versa, your ranged units need harlequins to tie up my ASM so they dont get cut to shreds. Eldar are a bit poop unless you can quickly get a farseer, and some harlequin squads ideally backed by some dark reapers.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
Ch3tan said:
DoW is the main game, WA and DC are add-ons and will not work without DoW.

If you launch DoW you only have access to the DoW online lobbies and gameplay. If you launch WA (and DC when it comes out) you get access to different online lobbies, more maps and a better online experience (extra units, races and other minor changes which greatly improve the game).

DC is stand alone and does not need DoW to play. Without DoW you have access to all 7 races in SP but only access to Tau and Necron in MP, plus you can only play against other people who have DC. Similarly even if you have DoW + WA you will still need DC to use the new 2 races online or play against other DC owners.

Ch3tan said:
Hehehe - I boned you good with the early ASM raids.

You were using gaurdians and harlequins against my ASM. but you didnt use them together, your harlequins are not as durable in close combat in tier 1, and die to quickly to make any impact on my ASM without some fire support in the form of gaurdians or dark reapers. And visa versa, your ranged units need harlequins to tie up my ASM so they dont get cut to shreds. Eldar are a bit poop unless you can quickly get a farseer, and some harlequin squads ideally backed by some dark reapers.

I'm assuming by harlequins you are referring to howling banshees, well at least until DC is actually released and introduces harlequins to the eldar. But yes you definitely need ranged troops to support your banshees and if possible I would recommend reapers as iirc they are anti-heavy infantry unlike guardians who are only anti-infantry.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Hehe, yes I meant howling banshees, and everyone should buy dow + wa + dc.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Fully upgraded banshees will fight very well against ASMs in the latest patch. As Eldar though you have the ultimate in counters to all CC (close-combat) troops. FoF (fleet of foot) will take your ranged troops away from anything at the speed of shite off a shovel. Then reposition, fire and run. A lot of micro but it gives you time to tech up and the enemy has to micro the CC troops so you don't lead them into a trap too.

Reapers were anti-heavy-infantry in vanilla DoW but are more generalised in WA. They are now good ranged troops that become redundant once you've teched up to Warp Spiders.

Eldar ranged troops are best used to hit and run. If you want to slug it out tech up quickly to falcon grav tanks and back up with banshees.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Question: How will I get you fuckers to delete this game and play Company Of Heroes with me when it comes out? :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
You won't. DoW is getting it's new expansion very soon so all sensible people will be playing both games like mad. Personally though I think I'll always prefer the faster-paced gore-fest of DoW with it's greater variety of races but will reserve judgement for now...

"Even in death I still serve..."

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Will I turn into a sandal-wearing beardy twat if I play this game?

(No need to reply, the answer is obviously yes !)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
throdgrain said:
Will I turn into a sandal-wearing beardy twat if I play this game?

(No need to reply, the answer is obviously yes !)

DoW is about blood, gore and Nobz. You will be no more beardy than you already are.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
TdC said:
A bloke called Wij rodgered me ragged a week or two ago in DOW/WA online. What can I do?

Practice your build order in duels against a Hard AI until you can regularly beat it in tier1.

What specifically did I do that you need to know how to stop ? :)

TdC

well, tbh what amazes me about you and Chet for example, is your ability to amass large amounts of cannonfodder in a really short period of time.

perhaps it's a nice idea to publish your idea of a good stratagy for say, 1v1 duels, 2v2's et al? a step-by-step guide if you will.

leggy

Probably Scottish
One piece of advice that I found invaluable was setting capture queues with scouts at the very start.

I.e.

1) Build a scout squad and bind them to the number 1 key (ctr + 1 while selected)

2) Shift + Right Mouse Click each of the nearest Strategic points.

This sets the capture queue in motion. You can then start building the base and chapel barracks for your marine squads (assuming space marines :)). You then only need to worry about building listening posts on each of your aquired strategic points.

Quicker way I found of getting requisition quickly without worrying what my scout squad was doing at all times.

Obviously this wouldn't work if your enemy was sat right next to you on the map.

For example:

leggy "hmm my requisition is low and I cant find my scouts"

*finds chaos standing over scout corpses"

TdC

ooh that's handy!

guh I'm such a noob :(

leggy

Probably Scottish
Teedles:

I got these from a thread on the relic forums. Simple but useful tricks.

It's where I found out about queuing actions.

Simple tricks not in manual

/edit

No it wasn't but it has a handy autobuild instruction for listening posts and the like. Very useful.

TdC

cheers Leggy, that link is really helpful. I only knew one!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I am online now waiting to play, i have been reading some taccies and I want to see if they work

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Is there a way to stop the bloody orks from saying "Weeeeerrrrrrreeee gooonnnnaaaaaaa diiiiieeeeeeeeeeee?"

Playing Imperial Guard, how do I surivive initial attacks from other races WITHOUT having to put up some heavy turrets?

(Usually play with a friend over LAN so I've allways got SM troops to help but would like to know the plan for a early defensive-offensive line)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Overdriven said:
Is there a way to stop the bloody orks from saying "Weeeeerrrrrrreeee gooonnnnaaaaaaa diiiiieeeeeeeeeeee?"

Playing Imperial Guard, how do I surivive initial attacks from other races WITHOUT having to put up some heavy turrets?

(Usually play with a friend over LAN so I've allways got SM troops to help but would like to know the plan for a early defensive-offensive line)

IG troops are great in tier1. They are your capping squads but also your primary fighters. What's to go wrong ? Bung a Commissar in each squad and right-click reinforce and they will own all tier1 infantry, at least in terms of reinforce cost. Those SMs cost 50 each. Yours cost 20 and with a commie they won't be dying much faster. Then get to tier 1.5 and watch the grenades wreak havoc. If you do get a bit outnumbered move your guardsmen into a building for a while. No t1 troops are gonna want to fight a garrissoned building, it's too expensive.

Mophead

Loyal Freddie
I'm late, I only bought the expansions at the weekend !!!

zmog!! Ch3t's alive :D

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Well I have not played it since before xmas. Anyone fancy giving this whole multiplayer thing another bash?

Lo moppy :)

Mophead

Loyal Freddie
I'm nearly at the end of WA - give me a few more days to get used to it all (and maybe have a bit of puter skirmish oppo :) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom