Wii Stock

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
ive been looking at ebay alot recently, for Wiis, about the same time last year i was doing the same(only for the 360)...

it seems to me that there are far more wiis on ebay(at release) than 360's... anybody agree with this?

does this mean nintendo are better prepared? for the x-mas rush
and has ebay pissed off everyone that wants a wii but cant get one... cause of the rediculas going rate atm?

just wanted to share this, ebay is so god damn annoying:(

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Wii is relatively low tech compared to X360, hence much cheaper to manufacture and with the added benefit of using proven components that are available off the shelf. Microsoft spent a ton getting that triple core CPU designed and manufactured, it is also alot larger and more complex than CPU driving the Wii hence lower manufacturing yields. The same applies to the GPU as well. Microsoft did pretty well getting 2 million plus units out before Dec 31st last year, they couldn't manufacture more in the time span as the 3rd factory was still undergoing a shakedown and wasn't ready to start ramping up to production.

So basically you can't compare the two. The Wii uses a higher clocked version of the CPU found in the Gamecube, that is why I said low tech in the first paragraph. It is using a 5 year old plus processor running at 729mhz, the ATi GPU is specualted to be some form of the Radeon x800 series which is well over 2 years old now, although still a capable GPU. Basically Nintendo were clever, they designed a system that would be dirt cheap to manufacture with readily available parts thus avoiding any of the shortages that have somewhat plauged Microsoft and crippled Sony over the last year. Kudos to Nintendo for that and double kudos for great marketing of the consoles despite the dumbass name. ;)

One big advantage for Nintendo right now is that coding games for Wii is just like coding games for Gamecube running at 200% with pixel shaders thrown in for good measure. By all accounts it is a complete dodle to code for and for that reason alone you can expect to see some very decent games because the devs will have more time to spend making the game fun instead of trying to squeeze adequate performance out of the hardware. All in all Nintendo have been pretty smart....

...but I do worry. You see it goes like this, old hardware is old hardware and eventually the graphical performance gap is going to become glaring. Your average gamer is very fickle, they are like magpies in many ways. 'Shiny, shiny!' is the mindset, despite what most people say the first impression of any game comes from the visual senses and frankly the Wii's graphics are going to date very fast. I fear when the novelty of the new controllers wears off and the long wait begins for the next Zelda game an awful lot of Wii owners are going to start looking at what the other consoles are doing, Wii cannot compete graphically and it is only a matter of time before Sony start delivering on the promise that PS3 holds. It has happened before, Gamecube got off to a good start and then PS2 hit it's stride, next thing you know sales of the Gamecube plummeted and the third party developers walked away in droves.

Now Nintendo can combat this, it isn't a forgone conclusion. The most important thing is to keep a steady stream of first party titles coming out of Nintendo's software division, they can't do what they did on the Gamecube and release one good game a year, the fact is that people buy Nintendo hardware so they can play Nintendo's software franchises, if they can't do a Zelda or Mario every 12 months, with the odd Donkey/Yoshi/Firefox etc game thrown in between then they might as well give up. Why you ask? Simple, you see the third party developers will be putting out alot of ports for the Wii, like it or not that always happens. Yes you will get some 3rd party deveopment exclusives for Wii but in the main you will get ports, that is the way this business works, it makes good economic sense to release ports as you are opening up to a new consumer base but not having to create all the game assets again, basically recycling helps developers make alot of extra cash. Ok, now here is why those ports are bad for Nintendo. Simple, the 360 and PS3 versions will blow them away graphically, anyone who walks into a videogame shop or browses videogame sites is going hit with that fact head on, it is a fact and cannot be denied. Therefore Nintendo cannot rely on the third parties to help drive console sales, the first party software has to carry the load by creating fun and innovative games that make the very most of what Nintendo has to offer from thier I.P. portfolio and the hardware. If they can't do it then no one will do it for them.

Now they have got off to a good start, if they can get another 2-3 AAA games out in the next 6 months then they have a real chance of success this generation but if they do what they have done for the last decade and release 1-2 good games a year then I fully expect them to be struggling 18 months from now. Time will tell but Nintendo have thier fate in thier own hands, the prize is there to be won or lost.

Delket

One of Freddy's beloved
Either edit that post to include quips about ladies, rude jokes or general funny rubbish or give me my real Chodax back :<

Afran

Part of the furniture
Such post Chodax :p

Personally I don't see the Wii's controllers novelty dying off anytime soon, if anything future consoles will develope similar/better controllers based on these ones - I seriously prefer the Wii's controllers much more than the oldschool type.

Oh, and there's rumours of a new Zelda dated for late 2007/early 2008. :p

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
cHodAX said:
lots of stuff

i agree, but im a hardcore gamer, and dont give a fuck about graphics(as a matter of fact i prefer the older games, like sonic and mario before they went 3D)

incidentally, FF8 blew me away with there awesome cut scenes(the only game series where i expect high-end technology)... after and before that, i was more than happy playing sonic and mario games(that said i prefer sonic a whole lot, even if they produce a shit game, like shuffle i was still ecstatic to buy a copy)... and as a result i feel that PS1 graphics are more than adiquite graphics wise...
on a non related matter, i miss the 2D strategy games, like sam + max, monkey island(cept the 4th, looked very woody and had awful controls), discworld, goblins, day of the tenticle and toonstruck... and i wish i could find a way for developers to make some more... the only games that come close now adays are the CSI games... just wish i could install & play them again, unfortunately my comp is to good to play them(they were notoriously hard to set-up)

the wii has been the best news since... erm... well i cant remember
and would have no problem with swapping my 360 for one(cept for the fact that its my brothers:()

MaCaBr3

Banned
If you don't care about graphics, I guess you'd have more fun playing the gazillions of roms & emulators floating arround the interwebs.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Nice thread,

Graphics or not, you are not gonna be able to compete with a Tiger Woods golf game on the Wii :)

When I eventually got mine I had built myself into a frenzy, because I didnt think I would be getting one before Chrimbo. I conisdered the remote a classy gimmick to the new Nintendo console. However after playing the games and using the remote it is not a novelty it is the main reason to buy the console.

For me Nintendo have a winner they just gotta keep the games rolling out. I can't wait for a proper Tennis, Golf and Boxing game to come out Punch Out would rock!!!!!!

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
MaCaBr3 said:
If you don't care about graphics, I guess you'd have more fun playing the gazillions of roms & emulators floating arround the interwebs.

i do, most have errors half way through;P

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
psyco said:
i agree, but im a hardcore gamer,

Interesting use of the term, but are you really? Or do you just play a lot?

Define hardcore gaing in your mind :D

But on topic, the Wii is nintendo's stepping stone/market bumper against other consoles as they produce their 3rd gen.

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
old.Tohtori said:
Interesting use of the term, but are you really? Or do you just play a lot?

Define hardcore gaing in your mind :D

But on topic, the Wii is nintendo's stepping stone/market bumper against other consoles as they produce their 3rd gen.

well its the only thing i do, and the only thing i think about

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
psyco said:
well its the only thing i do, and the only thing i think about

Do you play all games, all consoles, long hours requiring games? What? :D

More interested in what you consider to be hardcore.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I think there were around 2 million Wiis meant to be coming for european release i think that is what i read, and because of what happened with the 360 ala ebay alot of shop workers retailers ect are taking advatage of the rush to make double or triple the proffit by putting them on ebay. I have spoken to a mate who works in game and out of the 15 the had 9 were sold to staff on the first day and 8 of them were then re sold on ebay for £300+. Its a shame that this happened on the Wii as i know my cousin really wanted one for his xmas but his parents will not pay £300 for something that is £180.

If its true 2mil came to europe for the Wii imagine how bad the ps3 will be if we get the 200k that i have read will be launch stock.

Rub

One of Freddy's beloved
MaCaBr3 said:
do you play allot with the joystick in your pants?
lol thats like the best one ever invented ^^ who doesnt? :p

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
old.Tohtori said:

I'd like to know too... I'm a pretty dedicated gamer, wouldn't class myself as hardcore though.

Spend hours apon hours playing RPGs (How the hell can you put them down till you've finished them?!) - Spend hours online doing MMO, play alot of console games; but... I'm not hardcore, just.. Dedicated.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Gamah said:
Fuck me chod..bored?

No, one was pissed at the time. :D It took one about 60 mins to write that, the amount of spelling mistakes was insane although the grammar wasn't too bad considering one was shitfaced at the time. :p ;) :D

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
Think im gonna buy my self a wii because i rly dont give a fuck about how good a game looks, i just want it to be fun to play an the wii controllers looks so cool :D havent tryet it yet but from the movies i have seen it just looks like so much fun..

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Overdriven said:
=D Not a good enough blender imo

That's the ultimate blenchtech "will blend golfballs and golfclubs" blender.

Goes to show, if you want things small and hard, go japanese :D

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
old.Tohtori said:
That's the ultimate blenchtech "will blend golfballs and golfclubs" blender.

Goes to show, if you want things small and hard, go japanese :D

Pfff... Was talking more, industrial sized blenders.. =D They're what you need.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
old.Tohtori said:
By the way, no wonder people break stuff with the controller...

Wiimote vs blender

as i mentioned previously, a blenders blades are not designed to cut through solid plastic casings and PCB.

drop a sledge hammer head onto it off a roof and report back.

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
old.Tohtori said:

i play everything, cept sim games... like train/plane sims and those annoying theme park ones
though, im not terribly good at games... i generally manage to complete them sufficiently enough(not 100% but upto the credits)

tbh im fascinated with your interest with the term 'hardcore gamer':p

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
psyco said:
though, im not terribly good at games... i generally manage to complete them sufficiently enough(not 100% but upto the credits)

im shite at games but i keep on playing them anyway. iirc the only games ive completed are FF7 and MGS (both on the very first and origional PSX ofc).

when i completed MGS i was leet. my friends got me to complete certain parts depending on if they wanted the bandana or the suit thingy :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom