Wifi modem router needed

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'm fairly sure my friend's Netgear wireless ADSL router has blown up (it sees the internet but won't connect to any computers, cable or wifi, and the settings page is very slow/freezing). I've tested everything else, including phoning Talktalk to see if the internet connection is fine, the router is the only thing left.

Can anyone recommend a bog standard wifi modem router as a replacement? Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just up to date security, and powerful enough to get around a normal sized house.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Damn, I threw some away the other day, would have let you have it for p&p otherwise.

I'm sure quite a few here would have one lying around.

If not, I'm a fan of netgear stuff for wireless, although I did just have my nice netgear router die after 2 years of use. Not got round to having a look why yet, by I suspect the power pack has done.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I've got my old BT one, got a new one cos i'm fibre now. Its only about a year old

homehub20_03.jpg

Its yours of you want it

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Edmond,

You back on the interweb? Did the install fix it?

ps. sorry to hijack thread.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Edmond, could I take that Homehub2 off your hands please?
I could do with an N-wifi router.

Don't worry about it being locked to BT. I was the one who unlocked the original v1.0 HH back in 2007. :)

Edmond

Edmond, could I take that Homehub2 off your hands please?
I could do with an N-wifi router.

Don't worry about it being locked to BT. I was the one who unlocked the original v1.0 HH back in 2007. :)

Tom did start this thread, so if he wants it, he gets first refusel, but if he doesn't, then its yours Zen

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I have one aswell.... postage...

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Nowt fella, just the cost of the postage will do, PM me

Done.

Does the router need to be unlocked then, considering it's BT? My mate's connection is talktalk. I was hoping it would be a case of plugging it in at both ends, adding the login password for talktalk to the router, and off it goes.

Edmond

Done.

Does the router need to be unlocked then, considering it's BT? My mate's connection is talktalk. I was hoping it would be a case of plugging it in at both ends, adding the login password for talktalk to the router, and off it goes.

Dont know if it needs to be unlocked tbh?? Obviously i'm with BT so it worked out of the box for me

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
And that's why I was interested in it. :)

Homehubs are all locked to BT.
You need to unlock them to enable them to be used with other ISPs.
HH v1.0 is a piece of cake to unlock.
HH v1.5 takes an extra step, but is ultimately unlockable.
HH v2.0a and v2.0b are also a piece of cake to unlock.

Edmond

Its on its way to Tom, Zen, sorry, but if there is a problem, i'm sure Tom would appreciate your help to unlock it if he has any problems?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Edmond and Zenith, you're both stars. Installed and hacked, and working fully. Cheers!

Edmond

Excellent stuff, glad it all worked

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom