Wierd jolting in Q3

C

criznen

Wonder if anyone else has had this problem and knows how to solve it, certainly driving me up the wall.

I join a server (normally seems to happen on CTF/CTFS Servers, not RA3) and for the first 10 minutes or so, my Q3 just jolts and judders all the time. My internet connect is fine and my fps is fine, yet for a split second it will just "pause" i guess you could call it. Seems to be only punkbuster servers, but ive no idea how to stop it.

Ive faffed around with settings like pb_sleep "500" etc to no avail but its really starting to wind me up, makes Q3 barely playable until it suddenly stops happening.

Any ideas? :/

C

criznen

:/

Just played on a RA3 server with punkbuster on and its totally fine, seems to happen just on ctf(s) servers. Kinda pishy trying to play through it in a clan game tho.

C

criznen

Yep all up to date, did a fresh install of q3 and pb only a couple of days ago.

C

Chameleon

Do messages in the console indicate that pb might be having problems getting a response to it's security check? It could be some kind of repeating attempt to verify against an auth server, for example. Even if the console doesn't show anything, try enabling logging on your firewall and see if there are any obvious connection attempts, in or out, from or to q3/pb.

C

criznen

There isnt any console messages to indicate that its having problems talking with the PB server.

Firewall wise i havent used one in the 5 odd years ive been online, bar the inbuilt one on my router which ive turned off trying to sort this out :eek:

Just had another go and when the jolting appears my fps indicator does spasm for a split second, so fast as to hardly see it, cant tell how low it goes tho, i know sounds mess up when it does that spasm.

C

Chameleon

Things certainly seem to point towards PB as the problem, but beyond that, I dunno, it's a weird one criznen. I think all gamers who play any game with the pb mod will know what you mean by this 'jolting', albeit not for as long a period of time as you seem to get it for. If it were me I'd tinker with that pb_sleep setting and ask the same question as you have here to the PB people (do they have a forum? Ive never had the need to find out).
You could also try some software which monitors network and internet activity, which might help to pin point a problem. I've used the Kerio network monitor software in a limited capacity and found it useful. You could try that or other free/shareware products. If I got more desperate I think id uninstall all network protocols (tcp/ip, ipx, etc) and reinstall to see if it helps.
Atm nothing else comes to mind, but keep us updated if you make any progress or discover anything new!

Cham

E

ECA

I get this when g_synchronousclients is set on my pc to record demos. Its a pain in the ass.

M

monster.

You can turn g_synchronousclients off after you start recording.

Users who are viewing this thread