Wich char 2 start

Logix

Fledgling Freddie
i just got my CoH today and i whanna know which char 2 start and which is most fun :D

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
There is no *cough* blaster *cough* best char, there is no PvP as of yet and so no reason to have the *cough* blaster *cough* uberererererest char available, play what excites *cough* blaster *cough* you.

Belsameth

Tainted
Blasters are indeed quite fun...but they all have their charm (except for the scrapper, which just blows :p )

pacman

Fledgling Freddie
my lvl 9 katana scrapper doesnt blow.

well he does "blow" 3 yellows con mobs at the same time actually but thats not what you meant.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
i don't know if its because i played a healer/cc but i've really gone off CoH, so much in fact i have even restarted daoc and ordered ToA :s

so in conclusion don't play a controller. i think blaster was most fun

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
*Beats Belsameth with a sink* Bad blaster, bad!

And Pac, what are you doing blowing the mobs? You're supposed to be arresting them.

Bah, sometimes I think i'll never know what goes on in some peoples minds :(

Sarum

Fledgling Freddie
I enjoy my blaster. But then I always play damage-casters in MMOGs, so I didn't choose a fire blaster because of it's damage output (I didn't even know at the time that, once you've added in the DoT effect and suchlike, the fire blaster has the highest damage output of everyone - apparently. I've not checked it, and I don't really care), I picked it because... well, because I always play fire based characters when I can. I'm a pyromaniac, so sue me.

I also enjoy my scrapper however. And I have a grav/kinetics controler waiting in the wings, and plans for a defender too. All the classes are a lot of fun... and since the game is currently entirely co-op, there's no such thing as "best".. pick a class that matches the role you enjoy playing in PvE groups - be that melee, range damage, CC, healing, etc.

Cyradix

FH is my second home
pacman said:
my lvl 9 katana scrapper doesnt blow.

well he does "blow" 3 yellows con mobs at the same time actually but thats not what you meant.

Well, my controller can do that too and without getting hit :p
It just takes a very long time and lots of end :D

pacman

Fledgling Freddie
play a tank make him big and muscular dye him purple and get superjump at 14 and go on a rampage :)

even some healers are fun though you dont have to be a defender with empathy for healing

in fact i see a lot of defenders not healing :))

most heals i see are from controllers with emp as 2nd line

who are the ones that throw billiards tables btw ? :)

Tharion

Fledgling Freddie
pacman said:
who are the ones that throw billiards tables btw ? :)

Grav-controller, Propel is the name of the power you seek.
They throw random objects on badguys such as cars, trashcans and so on.

I find my Inv/Energy Tanker fun.

Ohh and scrappers don't blow, at L20+ is when they start to shine from what ppl say. Their dmg-output should be up there with blasters in the later levels.

Amadeus

Fledgling Freddie
Phft, blasters are for kids, if you want a real mans char go controller :p

seriously, though, i'd advise you to start one type of each archetype and play to lvl 6 or so to get a feel for it. i dunno about the rest, but ive gone through as many different chars as Sarum goes through Y-fronts. Ive been playing (a lot) for a week now and my highest char is 6 :p took me a while to decide on 1. archetype, 2. powers 3. looks (i dont know how many lvl 5 chars ive deleted cuz I found something off in their costume design, I think i need professional help).

I always like to pick something thats not a popular combination, my 'main' atm is a illusion/kenetics controller. so far I havent come across many of them (actually i cant even remember seeing an illusion controller yet, though i know they're out there somewhere).

All chars Ive tested have all been great fun (at lower lvls anyway). i dont think its possible to create a char thats not fun in one way or another.

enjoy the fun!

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
My Storm Summoning Defender is quite fun - mostly CC, Debuffs + Damage, but I have a ghetto heal too!1

Belsameth

Tainted
Tharion said:
Ohh and scrappers don't blow, at L20+ is when they start to shine from what ppl say. Their dmg-output should be up there with blasters in the later levels.

possibly, but I solo a lot and that's a pain with a scrapper at her current level (14) even 3 whites can give me a serious beating.

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
I have Claws/Regen scrapper (15) and he rocks, I can solo 3 white easily and walk away safe in the knowledge when I find 3 more i'll be full end/health. With the health buff up I can safely take 6 whites. Again with VERY little downtime, scrapper is a soloing machine, you just need to maximise your damage output as much as possible. A Blaster even said to me last night they were impressed with my damage, 3 shotting whites with fast attacks..

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
Well i've not played a blaster, but I would imagine its pretty similar to a mage, big ranged hits, low defence. I prefer melee chars tbh, scrapper has a nice balance between defence and damage. Some kind of ranged attack would be nice just for pulling but I guess its kinda against the ethos of the char.. anyway he rocks, super jump next level, nowt better than dropping in the middle of a group of baddies and AEing them all.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah blasters tend to die if looked at harshly that's for sure. :p

Tharion

Fledgling Freddie
Belsameth said:
possibly, but I solo a lot and that's a pain with a scrapper at her current level (14) even 3 whites can give me a serious beating.

Yeah, never said scrappers are good solo, but my friend had a L16+ MA/SRef scrapper and had no prob soloing evencons and 1 level above, but he re-rolled a MA/Reg and have alot harder to solo now, cuz of lack of defence.
But when we team he is sick, his end never go down, while I have to be careful with the attacks all the time. GIV L20 AND STAMINA !!1 :D

Tharion

Fledgling Freddie
Danya said:
Pfft, I one shot whites. :p

With what?

Build up + snipe?
Sure but how often? 1 time every 90 secs without reduce time enh or buffs :)

Yeah Blasters roxx at dmg frontload.

But all classes got their unique ability for a grp.

A well, getting carried away.

Jonlan

Fledgling Freddie
Melee is anoying when so many mobs flee, atleast from my shredder (claw/invuln)... one ends up chasing them around and around without beeing able to him em. 'Till one gets tired or finds himself in middle of group of new enemies... grrrr :twak:

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah build-up + snipe or aim + snipe, either will do. I tend to try and kill the first enemy with that, then both my decent ranged blasts with build-up still on usually toasts the second... then things get interesting. :p

Tharion

Fledgling Freddie
Jonlan said:
Melee is anoying when so many mobs flee, atleast from my shredder (claw/invuln)... one ends up chasing them around and around without beeing able to him em. 'Till one gets tired or finds himself in middle of group of new enemies... grrrr :twak:

He will come back.

Or do like I do, I hace Combat Jumping that makes me jump faster then mob runs, I jump past him, land infront, smack him silly.

Yell, U R Arrested Punk!

Jonlan

Fledgling Freddie
Tharion said:
He will come back.

Or do like I do, I hace Combat Jumping that makes me jump faster then mob runs, I jump past him, land infront, smack him silly.

Yell, U R Arrested Punk!

That sounds nice, hmm where do I get Combat Jumping?

-n00b

Scorn

Fledgling Freddie
You've 8 slots, just make one char with each AT and see what you like best through the first 3 levels, which is maybe half an hour after you've created them... That's what I did, one simply seemed to stick and I continued with that one...

Amadeus

Fledgling Freddie
Jonlan said:

-n00b

also, what i used for my tank (before i mistakenly deleted him oO) was teleport foe. great for pulling and for grabbing those guys that do a legger.

also when someone is running from you, the best way to attck that i found was jump over them and as youre in mid air, hit the attack button, even if you land a bit away from them, more often than not, your hit lands.

had a good laugh couple nights ago when myself and a friend were attcking two mobs. I stunned one, and the other one ran around the corner, both of us chased him, i stunned him and we gave him a good seeing to. we then ran back aroudn the corner to take care of the first guy, only to find him legging it into the distance. kinda simple, but i laughed for ages about it.

Tharion

Fledgling Freddie
Jonlan said:

-n00b

You can get it at level 6 from the power pool: Leaping
It also gives you +def witch is good for tanks.

Imo CJ is a must for any melee char, but thats my opinion :)

Jonlan

Fledgling Freddie
Tharion said:
You can get it at level 6 from the power pool: Leaping
It also gives you +def witch is good for tanks.

Imo CJ is a must for any melee char, but thats my opinion :)

Oh right. Umm my highest char is lvl 4 :D Trying to make my 1 millionth new char in new costume ASAP, perhaps after that I'll be able to get one sooooo highlevel as 6 (and maybe join Freddys Fury) ;)

I read some infos on the Combat Pools, did I understand correctly that one gets 3 Combat Pool picks in whole life career? Or does one get more than 3 (at lvls 6, 14 and was it 20)?

Thanks for the tips/infos folks. :cheers:

Amadeus

Fledgling Freddie
Jonlan said:
did I understand correctly that one gets 3 Combat Pool picks in whole life career? Or does one get more than 3 (at lvls 6, 14 and was it 20)?

hmm im not sure, though i know the warcry hero builder's interface allows for 4 pools.

just reread your question, are you referring to the number of powers you can pick from a particular pool? if so afaik, you can pick all 4 if you want.

then again, i have been known in the past to be totally clueless

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom