why

Tiani

Fledgling Freddie
Just wondered what peoples general opinions are on WAR. I notice a lot of people comparing this game to WoW. Having spent a loooonnngggg time playing wow (closed beta, open beta, retail until few months ago, all raids completed apart from Black Temple) I cant seem to find any real resemblence of the game at all, The graphics are slightly 'wow'ish ' and the first human scenario is very arathi basinesque but still I cant see to see where people get this 'wowhammer' thing from.

IF anything I would compare the game moreso to LoTRo. The movement reminds me a lot of that, the casting animations are similar and the towns and outposts are very reminscant of Tolkeins online world.

Just to say I love WaR, even though it kinda runs like crap on my PC I still find it very fun to play and amazingly it does run playable considering Im a million miles behind the sys requirements :)

Some of the cool stuff I have noticed

Being English! - This is just ace for me, I hated being in wow and with my American Gnome mage ! :( i like my olde english Bright Wizard.

The little cool things they have added in, like my BW every now and again while getting hit in combat yelling things like 'bugger' 'bastard' etc, very cool! Not much impact on gameplay but these little polished fun extras are what give a game character for me!

RvR is ace, its more than target nuke! I cant wait to get into some seriously organised scenarions and rvr zones to see the collission mechanics in play and how this will all fit in with tanking lines and back line nukers, apsolutely cant wait!

The PvE is also exceptional because it is all tied into this massive war thats going on, I really felt part of the conflict, doing my bit for the glory or Order and the Empire!

There are probably a million more things I will come across during my time playing warhammer, just wanted to start a bit of a discussion as I'm bored at work and sad that the OB has ended and I cant play WaR again now until the 18th :(

twix112

Fledgling Freddie
Why people compare it with wow is mayby since that's the mmo that most people been playing most.. But I agree I don't see much resemblence to wow... What could be an resemblence is the interface but that's an old interface and a logical one so I wouldn't say that the interface is WoW:ish as I have heard some people call it.........
:s

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Pretty much sums it up :)

I am hoping for something like the old days emain zerg wars, actually I would like to see both decent solo action, decent fg stuff and some massive sieges where you can just muck in like the rest of them.

Really excited about WAR, have had just about enough of WoW. My install buggered up and I have been trying to fix it for days, not very motivated about it though, 7-8 gig game download to repair my WoW install, plus finding all the old mods etc. Downloaded the war beta client instead :)

I really really hope GOA do it right, aside from the flash site which has been at the centre of all their problems it has gone pretty well, so far so good. A little more communication and we would all be happy :)

e0b1ff

Fledgling Freddie
Just seeing the term "wowhammer" make my blood boil, people need to know what Warcraft was before.. well.. Warcraft.

I just wanna:

"NO! Bad WoW Monkey! :twak:"

Everz

FH is my second home
WoW for one thing.. nobody from my daoc guilds are playing it :(, so its the old loner thing again which idd is very boring as judging from the time i spent in the scenarios 90% of the playerbase will be absolute idiots who have no clue what there doing which doesnt bode well for me at all.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
People probably relate the two because they come from similar lore I guess.

They both have Orcs and Elves. Thats about it. :p

nuclear misfit

Fledgling Freddie
never liked wow and i really enjoy war so far!
you said it all, except that my toon says 'bollocks' hahaha :lol:
yes, i'm easily amused:m00:

doing my bit for the glory or Order and the Empire!

you
are
so
dead
!

:wub:

boinged

Fledgling Freddie
It's funny you mention LOTRO because I feel that is a 'WoW-clone'. Now that is an over-simplification and also not a bad thing. It's difficult to define what games I feel fall into this type but big factors are the graphic style, heavily quest-based levelling, high emphasis on equipment, simplified crafting, two factions and simple politics.

Don't get me wrong, these things make for a fun game :)

Here are a couple of games that are NOT like WoW, which I've played and enjoyed. They share some of the features I mentioned above but not to the same degree.

Lineage 2, EVE, Auto Assualt, Matrix, Ryzom, Roma Victor, Vanguard, Pirates of the Burning Sea, Age of Conan.

So I feel LOTRO and WAR fall into the WoW camp but they also add so much more. I particularly like how WAR makes things accessible that are a bit of a chore even in WoW, like getting cool gear. The focus on PVP right from the start is great.

Guyton

Fledgling Freddie
So far I am really enjoying and it does come across how much thought they have put into the game the variety of play styles it incorporates- RvR open areas, RvR scenarios, Public Quests and normal Quests - it's like being a kid in a candy store just don't know what to do first and then trying everything.

My only gripe is I just don't know what class to settle on as all of them seem fun in there own ways, looks like I have to be an alt whore again and I was trying so hard just to pick one and stay with it;)

Pheonnexx

Fledgling Freddie
People compare it to WoW as thats the big thing out, the game that introduced a lot of people to the genre.

War has its own taste, a lot more group based combat and quests i love the public quests and the pvp war has got it right ^^.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
i think most people who think of warhammer as a WoW clone have never played mythic`s previous game (dark age of camelot).

Zagzyg

Loyal Freddie
i think most people who think of warhammer as a WoW clone have never played mythic`s previous game (dark age of camelot).
I think there is more similarity to the graphical style of WoW than to that of DAoC.
Character development, the core training is similar to DAoC.
Realm rank stuff seems similar to DAoC.
Game play, from what I'm seen doesn't seem like either so far.

Tiani

Fledgling Freddie
I definately wouldnt call lotro a wow clone either, its a million times more interesting and enjoyable than war and the art/gameplay is nothing like wow either. Only similarity imo is the UI :p

I also found the lotro epic book/story quests brilliant. If only more MMO's used this kind of thing

(got a lvl 50 Hunter so have played it a fair bit :) )

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
I think there is more similarity to the graphical style of WoW than to that of DAoC.
Character development, the core training is similar to DAoC.
Realm rank stuff seems similar to DAoC.
Game play, from what I'm seen doesn't seem like either so far.

Hmm...the graphic style is mainly derived from GW's design, anyway, and it depends what area you're in; the Dwarf halls look more like something out of the pages of 'White Dwarf' than anything from DAOC or WoW. I'd agree with you that the gameplay is something new...but then that's no bad thing. The last thing WAR needed to be was a clone of another MMO with Orc + Elf skins on it.

Having been in the Beta since the day the Beta server went live in the middle of last year, I've seen almost every zone the game has to offer...and you have some real fucking treats in store :D

pikeh

Resident Freddy
I just laugh at the comparisons between WoW's graphics and War's.
Has anybody making these statements actually seen both?

Deathsprit

Fledgling Freddie
i dont c wat ppl are saying wowclone, i played wow, and war is nothing like wow.

i liked wow for the pvp battles even tho i didnt live long, but war is more of a game for me, love the scenarios i have played so far and cant w8 to play the rest.

i love this game :D

Aada

Part of the furniture
The only thing this game has close to LOTRO is the graphics, they seem very similar yet not as good :p

Apart from that this is very much like WoW.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Apart from that this is very much like WoW.

It's just like WoW...

...only without the shitty PvP, the interminable grinding of the same Disney-styled instances over and over and over and over again for a microscopic chance to get some gear that just lets you go grind a slightly tougher Disney-styled instance, the cartoon graphics, the horrible 'humorous' real-world references that totally kill the gameworld immersion ('Haris Pilton'? Fuck off!), the gold-farmers, the horrible animations, the limited race choices, the cookie-cutter classes, the horrible voice-acting (female Dwarves, anyone?), the FUCKING GNOMES, the crappy zone transitions (you're in a lush magical forest...no wait, suddenly you're in a desert), the you're-on-rails quest chains that make levelling every class exactly the same grind...

etc. etc.

WAR, frankly, pisses on WoW.

bronnac

Fledgling Freddie
It's just like WoW...

...only without the shitty PvP, the interminable grinding of the same Disney-styled instances over and over and over and over again for a microscopic chance to get some gear that just lets you go grind a slightly tougher Disney-styled instance, the cartoon graphics, the horrible 'humorous' real-world references that totally kill the gameworld immersion ('Haris Pilton'? Fuck off!), the gold-farmers, the horrible animations, the limited race choices, the cookie-cutter classes, the horrible voice-acting (female Dwarves, anyone?), the FUCKING GNOMES, the crappy zone transitions (you're in a lush magical forest...no wait, suddenly you're in a desert), the you're-on-rails quest chains that make levelling every class exactly the same grind...

etc. etc.

WAR, frankly, pisses on WoW.

WTF you got against gnomes? don't you think they got it hard enough without people like you making it worse?

must be absolutly soul destroying to ask a fellow beer drinker to give em a bunk up to reach the johnny machine.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
I just laugh at the comparisons between WoW's graphics and War's.
Has anybody making these statements actually seen both?

Exactly, people see similar races and make the comparison.

If anything I believe the look, and feel of the characters in WAR is a lot closer to the catacombs models in daoc if anything.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
If anything I believe the look, and feel of the characters in WAR is a lot closer to the catacombs models in daoc if anything.

Absolutely...I like detailed, realistic-looking toons and WAR is the first MMO since DAOC that satisfies me in that department.

Narzeja

Loyal Freddie
Absolutely...I like detailed, realistic-looking toons and WAR is the first MMO since DAOC that satisfies me in that department.

So far, WAR is the only MMO since DAoC that satisfies me in every department.

oh, uhmm, that came out wrong :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom