Why you shouldn't listen to other people's opinions

X

Xtro 2.0

Yeah I read the whole lot earlier today. Some of them have the right idea (Invincible really is shocking for example) but worst film of all time? Most have just posted a film they saw recently and didnt like.

Out of 100 or so years of film making there are more shockers around than what they've put on there.

I generally know beforehand if I'm going to enjoy a film (subject material, director, cast, word of mouth) before I see it. I'll probably read a review or two but take more note of comments about direction or acting than plot etc. You can discount any tabloid review or in Metro for a start, usually about as informed as a gibbon.

Of all the films I've seen I'd probably pick:

Recent(ish)

Battlefield Earth (it IS that bad),
Showgirls,
and The End of Violence - Andi McDowell (yuk) and Gabriel Byrne in LA uncovering a plot about....CCTV being installed on LA streets...lol.

Going back a bit -

Maniac Cop 2
The Fuzz (this is hysterical blaxploitation with lines like "My little rooster is gonna cock a doodle doo lawman!")
Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla (oh.....DEAR, at least you can laugh at it).

Most of the "Beatnik" films of the late '50s were shocking too (Uk films trying to convince kids that saying Yo Yo Daddy Cool, wearing shades in a cellar and snapping your fingers made you turn to drugs).

J

Jonny_Darko

Originally posted by Xtro 2.0

Battlefield Earth (it IS that bad),

Oh my lord, that is shocking. I'm usually quite stubborn in that I finish a film once I've started it, no matter what. And I only watched this one because I knew it was risible and might have caused mirth...but it was a level of bad far beyond "so bad it's good" and I couldn't get past halfway through before I had to stop it to prevent my brain dribbling out my ears...

J

Jonny_Darko

Having said that I only found AOTC slightly more bearable...

M

mank

I want to see Battlefield Earth now, is that wrong?

J

Jonny_Darko

Not at all, but you're a stronger man than I if you can get through it all.

X

Xtro 2.0

No I recommend you see it for the amusement factor. There are so MANY things wrong with it its unbelievable but still, Travolta was bankrolling it so it got made whatever (based on an original story by L. Ron Hubbard the ubermensch of scientology and Travolta is a scientologist).

SPOILER ACHTUNG SPOILER (wtf are the spoiler tags :)) -- --- ---

The bit with the cavemen flying Harrier Jump Jets is so BAD its piss funny. I was open mouthed in horror watching it then burst out laughing.

D

dysfunction

I watched Battlefield Earth all the way through.

S

Scouse

Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla (oh.....DEAR, at least you can laugh at it).

OMG!!! ffs.... X m8 - you've evidently not got the brain capacity to comprehend how utterly fantastic that film is*.

*after 15 pints of Theakstons Old Peculiar.

/edit: Wasn't there one called "Terror of Mechagodzilla" aswell?

E

Ekydus

I reckon some of them are listed purely because the viewer who said the film in question was an avid fan of the original films.

Matrix Reloaded; Matrix 2
Star Wars: Episode 2

Spring to mind.

Hmm... Films with the number 2 in seem to be unlucky.

S

Sir Frizz

Originally posted by Ekydus

Hmm... Films with the number 2 in seem to be unlucky.

Terminator 2?
Aliens (2)?
Godfather 2?

F

FatBusinessman

The thing about nominating a "worst film ever" is that, presumably, the worst film ever made has never made it to the box office, and probably not to anyone's VCR either. So very few people have seen it. So you can't really nominate it.

That being said, I'm surprised no-one has nominated "Gigli" yet - I haven't seen it, but surely nothing can get quite such a low rating without being utter crap.

X

Xtro 2.0

There are also the films that are so BAD they are good. Actually I could endure Battlefield Earth again despite how bad it is.

I'm particularly thinking of the Leprechaun series of horror films.

The first one was a "house in the woods in middle of nowhere with dumb teens in it" simple enough tongue in cheek horror film. Only notable as a young Jennifer Anniston was in it (success eh?). The leprechaun isn't particularly scary of course ("Where's me gold?") but its fun.

Spin on a few years and we've got Leprechaun V - Leprechaun in the Hood starring Coolio, Ice T and the Leprechaun... sweet baby jesus. Even better the next film in production is - Leprechaun VI: Leprechaun in Space. Tagline is "In space no one can touch his gold".

There's a quicktime trailer for Leprechaun V, complete with leprechaun in bling bling gear with Ice T up for download on IMDB. Utterly shocking but fun :)

L

~Lazarus~

Originally posted by Sir Frizz
Terminator 2?
Aliens (2)?
Godfather 2?

[pedantic]

There was no Aliens 2

[/pedantic]

:)

L

~Lazarus~

Originally posted by leggy
Hence the 2 in parenthesis.

dumass scot.

IF there was no Aliens 2 then why even put the 2 in parenthesis

Dumbass :p

X

Xtro 2.0

Damn picts lowering the tone in this thread - shoo! shoo! ;)

L

leggy

Originally posted by ~Lazarus~
IF there was no Aliens 2 then why even put the 2 in parenthesis

Dumbass :p

He was pointing out that it was a sequal. And I left the b out as it hindered the flow of the word.

dumass :D

*goes back to small highland cave dwelling*

C

Ch3tan

Yes but he also said that it only affected movies with 2 in the title. SO there was no point at all mentioning Aliens, or Matrix Reloaded.

L

leggy

Originally posted by Ch3tan
Yes but he also said that it only affected movies with 2 in the title. SO there was no point at all mentioning Aliens, or Matrix Reloaded.

I do realise that I was merely using it as an excuse to argue with lazarus. Plus it wasn't laz's original point.

C

Clowneh!

What is (are) parenthesis? Posh word for brackets? I'm dumb :(

L

~Lazarus~

Originally posted by leggy
I do realise that I was merely using it as an excuse to argue with lazarus. Plus it wasn't laz's original point.

Thats a first! You dont usually need an excuse to start an argument!

L

leggy

Originally posted by ~Lazarus~
Thats a first! You dont usually need an excuse to start an argument!

It's the fiery highland blood.

W

Will

Originally posted by Xtro 2.0
Damn picts lowering the tone in this thread - shoo! shoo! ;)
OMG, admin ban ffs!!!!!!

Wait a second, I am an admin....:D

M

mank

Originally posted by FatBusinessman
That being said, I'm surprised no-one has nominated "Gigli" yet - I haven't seen it, but surely nothing can get quite such a low rating without being utter crap.

I bet the low rating is because people have rated it without seeing it because it's got Jen & Ben in it.

R

ReActor

Originally posted by mank
I bet the low rating is because people have rated it without seeing it because it's got Jen & Ben in it.

Exactly. I haven't seen Gigli but I simply cannot believe it's anything like as bad as people are saying. It's just because people hate the idea of a celebrity couple's vanity project, especially when it's a "gangster" film.

Besides, people seem to be really turned off by blockbuster-type films at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom