Why maintenance two days in a row?

BigBadB

Fledgling Freddie
GOA, is it not possible to perform the server maintenance and the cloning during the same downtime?

arknor

Fledgling Freddie
there wasnt maintanence yesterday and as far as i can see there isnt tommorow either.

yesterdays was postponed until today

mib666

Fledgling Freddie
I guess it's just to minimise downtime for the servers that are to be cloned. Seems fair to me as i'm on one of the servers that is to be cloned :)

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Oh noes, you might get to leave the house and see daylight. Wont that be tragic.

wooly

Fledgling Freddie
GOA, is it not possible to perform the server maintenance and the cloning during the same downtime?

It's just today...

My whinge/moan/gripe/shout/grrrr is why it has to happen during the day? No overtime this month chaps?

Wooly

nosebleed

Fledgling Freddie
Nah it's today and tomorrow

"This morning we have brought down all servers for an update. This is the operation that was postponed from yesterday. This maintenance is mostly to make some internal fixes for stability.

Tomorrow we will be cloning the busiest English servers so there will be another downtime at the same time tomorrow. We will keep you updated as to the progress of this operation but we expect that the servers will return by the early afternoon."

From front news page, that's what he's on about :)

Soazak

Part of the furniture
Today is for some stability issues, 2moro is for the server cloning.

no doubt if they did both today and the server was down for twice as long you'd still be here complaining, so ultimatly it doesn't really matter what they do

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
It's just today...

My whinge/moan/gripe/shout/grrrr is why it has to happen during the day? No overtime this month chaps?

Wooly

Probably because bringing it down in the evening affects a hell of a lot more people, like the ones who work or actually go to college/university.

So there :p

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
most mmo's that have regular downtime either do it at stupid oclock in the morning or during the night. Very few seem to do it during the day just a bit miffed taken some time of work (first in a loooong time) and they mucking about with servers.

BigBadB

Fledgling Freddie
Today is for some stability issues, 2moro is for the server cloning.
I'm aware of that. ;)

My question was simply why not do both during the same downtime?

no doubt if they did both today and the server was down for twice as long you'd still be here complaining, so ultimatly it doesn't really matter what they do
Actually, you might notice that I didn't complain - I just asked a question.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Actually, I'd have no problem with a single combined maintenance taking slightly longer (it shouldn't take twice as long, as a significant proportion of the time spent on server-related stuff in MMOs tends to be bringing them down and bringing them back up again, but even if it did, that'd be fine with me).

People would though. GOA take down servers for double the time = "OMG we aren't getting service we paid for, I took day off work/school just to play todays". Two day's in a row "OMG why 2days in a row?! no other MMO needs two days!!".

wooly

Fledgling Freddie
Probably because bringing it down in the evening affects a hell of a lot more people, like the ones who work or actually go to college/university.

So there :p

Never mentioned an evening... thought it was common knowledge to have this done over night e.g. 2am onwards.... That's when it affects the least number of patrons.... shheesh get yourself back to the edge of town and sit on that wall to scare non locals.. YA BIG VILLAGE IDIOT!! :p

Wooly

Soazak

Part of the furniture
Actually, you might notice that I didn't complain - I just asked a question.

Apologies, just seems like a bit of a QQ, but fair point.

Basically what pikeh said, maybe you wouldn't but many would, these forums are filled with cries for some reason or other

Mas

One of Freddy's beloved
Theres 2 flies in my living room having sex ive noticed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom