Why I love rugby

Marc

FH is my second home
Compund Fracture. Leg hanging by the skin. What does the opposing player do, comfort him and then you can hear the opposing fans chanting the name of the player who is injured. The mutual respect between players and fans is amazing.

Chev actually sits up a few minutes later to applaud the fans who were chanting his name!!

YouTube - Chev walker broken leg

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Compund Fracture. Leg hanging by the skin. What does the opposing player do, comfort him and then you can hear the opposing fans chanting the name of the player who is injured. The mutual respect between players and fans is amazing.

Always been like that in both codes of Rugby. Apart from recent South Africa games I don't ever remember seeing a players deliberatly try to hurt another player. You get the odd punch up but that's always handbags never any real intent or malice. Having played myself and listened to alot of pros over the years its clear they have huge respect for each other. I think that is what football lacks. All the players care about are themselves and money. Brings shame to the game!

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Always been like that in both codes of Rugby. Apart from recent South Africa games I don't ever remember seeing a players deliberatly try to hurt another player. You get the odd punch up but that's always handbags never any real intent or malice. Having played myself and listened to alot of pros over the years its clear they have huge respect for each other. I think that is what football lacks. All the players care about are themselves and money. Brings shame to the game!

the name lote tuqiri springs to mind :p

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The mutual respect between players and fans is amazing.

What, even between the bloke you insulted and who wanted to beat the shit out of you? Lots of respect there!

Marc

FH is my second home
What, even between the bloke you insulted and who wanted to beat the shit out of you? Lots of respect there!

You get the odd asshole yes :D But in the main its head and shoulders above football.

Marc

FH is my second home

Timana Tahu is a better example.

"Id never play rugby union, it bores me to tears"

2 weeks later..heres a 200 grand a year payrise

"Ive always wanted to try rugby union for the challenge"

Hawkwind

FH is my second home

I take it your thinking of the lions Lions tour to NZ when he and the big lock speared BOD. No malice involved and BOD made very little of it. All blacks always play hard and tough rugby, no quarter given. They are not thugs.

The thing I like about Rugger is that you get knocked, its very physical but you get up and get on with it. You don't roll around 20 times and crying to the ref for yellow to handed out. You don't swear at a ref as it is an instant red card if deemed disrepect.

Lollie

Loyal Freddie
its true what they say, rugby = thugs game played by gentlemen and football = gentlemans game played by thugs

Marc

FH is my second home
I take it your thinking of the lions Lions tour to NZ when he and the big lock speared BOD. No malice involved and BOD made very little of it. All blacks always play hard and tough rugby, no quarter given. They are not thugs.

The thing I like about Rugger is that you get knocked, its very physical but you get up and get on with it. You don't roll around 20 times and crying to the ref for yellow to handed out. You don't swear at a ref as it is an instant red card if deemed disrepect.

Thats not because footballers are soft though, its more to do with the fact playacting is rife in football. Its the way the game has evolved.

leviathane

Part of the furniture

Or he could yet be thinking of lote tuqiri the ex australian winger who was a complete tit pretty much.

kiliarien

Part of the furniture

I agree - rugby players have much more respect for each other (or so it seems). Blows are clearly traded, but then that's the physicality of the game. They all deal with it and move on, even when you're in a ruck and you get shoe pie.

There has been talk in football that they should move to the idea of the Ref taking the Captain and offending player aside and explaining where the infraction is and why it was given and then let the Captain marshal the players , but FIFA consider that it stops the flow of the game - I see both sides in this argument, because I don't want a 90 minute game to last 110 as it possibly could.

I have to diagree in one respect - ref's are sworn at an awful lot even in rugby, they're not swearing at the ref, but they are swearing and their mic's pick it up (I've been to a few games and had the ref decision earpiece you can buy, which is cool; and they have to say to the player - 'look matey I have a mic' and they apologise immediately, another good feature of the game).

There's no doubt Rugby seems a more gentlemenly sport - but the stakes involved in football are much, much higher in terms of money. And where there's money, there's cheats and those pushing the boundaries of gamesmanship. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom