why I hate javascript (vol I)

• Thread starter Testin da Cable
  • Start date
T

Testin da Cable

well, for a girl I know I'm fiddling with a bit of js. she wants a window to open of a certain size when a link is clicked, but for some odd reason she doesn't want to use html (or as little as she can)

here is the code:
Code:
<html>
<head>
<script language="javascript">
<!-- have to hide the script
function openWin(img) {
winId = window.open('');
    winId.document.write('<body><center>');
winId.document.write('[img]' + img + '[/img]');
winId.document.write('<script language="javascript">');
winId.document.write('var Element = document.getElementById("Image");');
winId.document.write(' var w = document.getElementById("Image").width;');
winId.document.write(' var h = document.getElementById("Image").height;');
winId.document.write('window.resizeTo((w * 1.1), (h * 1.1));');
winId.document.write('</script>');
  winId.document.write('</center></body>');
winId.document.close();
}
-->
</script>
</head>
<body>
[url="javascript:openWin('test.jpg')"][img]t_test.jpg[/img][/url]

</body>
</html>

I'm utterly failing for obvious reasons. But it got so late at night that my only thougt was to post it here. help me. please...help :)

T

Testin da Cable

yeah, but the trick is, I need the window to resize to the size of the image opened -without knowing the image's size beforehand :/

thanks for the link btw :)

J

Jonty

Can we use a dash of PHP, please? This would make things sooo much easier, as it's hideously complicated to get a image's width dynamically. Either that or will all the images use a fixed ratio to govern the thumbnail and large image sizes?

Kind Regards

T

Testin da Cable

well, her server doesn't support it sadly enough :/ goodness, I see I've managed to leave out a line in the code!! stupid me will edit :/
anyway, I was thinking of trying someting like document.getElementById("Image").width and the same for height. if there are such definitions that is, javascript and I don't mix very well :/

I attempt to do away with margin nastys (as they tend to vary a bit) by popping the image, then expanding the window by 10%

J

Jonty

I believe you're after .offsetWidth and .offsetHeight. I've worked for hours trying to make this work 'properly' (since the document.write method is a very bad way of doing things). However, unless you have either PHP support, or all the images utilise the same ratio or you put the height and width in the image file name (i.e. 'image1.800.600.jpg') then there's little one can do to avoid using the above method.

Sorry :(

T

Testin da Cable

:(

I'll figure something out in the end ;)

T

Testin da Cable

well, I've managed to get it working via a slight cheat and a combination of javascript and css. look here for results

T

Testin da Cable

yes, this one is worst luck :/ I couldn't figure out an easy way to do it dynamically, so I lazed out and didn't do it. it seems she's already put the image dimentions into her pages as it is so this is a minor change for her (I hope heh)

T

Testin da Cable

I'm messing with it atm

this is what I've gotten now:

Code:
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
<!--
var win=null;
var w=null;
var h=null;
function NewWindow(mypage,w,h){
settings='width="+ w +", height="+ h +",scrollbars=no,location=no,directories=no
,status=no,menubar=no,toolbar=no,resizable=no';
win=window.open(mypage,settings);
alert("width= " + w + " height=" +h+" ");}
-->
</script>

and I use this line on the popper:

Code:
[url="pop.html"]test[/url]

and due to the built in alert I can see the w and h variables...but the darn thing just won't work. I can't see what I'm doing wrong :/

J

Jonty

window.open takes three arguments, source, window ID, and settings. You simply omitted the second, hence it didn't like it. Try this :)

Code:
<script type="text/javascript">
// <![CDATA[
function Window (Source, ID, Width, Height)
{
  var Settings = "Height="+Height+",Location=No,Menubar=No,Resizeable=No,Scrollbars=No,Status=No,Toolbar=No,Width="+Width+"";
  window.open(Source, ID, Settings);
}
// ]]>
</script>

[url="pop.html"]Image One[/url]
Kind Regards

T

Testin da Cable

well bugger me it works now :D

I hope you're at that BarryBeer Jonty :)

J

Jonty

Is there another one any time soon? To be honest, though, I don't know all that many people here at BarrysWorld.

Glad everything's working :D

:bazbeer:

Kind Regards

T

Testin da Cable

aye, there's one april 5th in Edinburg so I hear :)

J

Jonty

Really? Cool :) I doubt I'll be going all the way up there, though. Not after the last time. *Jonty blushes at the thought of haggis* ;) teeheehee

Kind Regards

T

Testin da Cable

well I can understand that. for some strange reason there is a certain person on these forums who is determind to force me to eat haggis...and I'm not up to that challange I kid you not :eek7:

J

Jonty

hehe, I won't ask who, for fear he'll turn on me. But, if minced sheep's heart, liver, and lungs with onion, oatmeal, suet, seasonings, lemon juice, and stock, all wrapped in a sheep's stomach is his thing, then ... well ... I can't finish that sentence :p hehe :D

Kind Regards

Users who are viewing this thread