Why does something like this not get more news coverage

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
I watch (and read) a fair bit of news coverage, yet I only found out about this from the bit at the end of a BBC1 program:

Guyana: 40 Million Acres of Rain Forest for the Greenest Bidder

How come something like this doesnt get more coverage in the news? I mean, the guy is essentially offering 40 million acres of rainforest as a carbon offset to Britian and we've been "thinking about it" for 9 months???????

Surely in this day and age where, for good or bad, Global Warming is a big issue something like this would be front page news?

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
We may need to wood for furniture you see. That's why its not up to a national vote or anything. We don't see much of this type of thing because the government thinks of it as a frivolous investment.

Gorbachioo

Fledgling Freddie
Well dont know about the news thing but man is this embarassing for us. :m00:

We want poor countries to stop chopping their rainforests but absolutely refuse to pay for it ourselves... Well no wonder with these oil prices. Someones gotta drive those SUV's.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
No one cares about Global Warming anymore now the Oil Prices have rocketed!

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I just watched that programme on BBC1. Fascinating. Thats one area of rainforest that needs preserving for ever undisturbed.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It has nothing to do with Jordan or Maddie McCann, thats why

pikeh

Resident Freddy
I was so going to make this thread :)

I loved the program - its the kind that I pay my TV license for. I just cant believe its so unspoilt, and all the new species they found, its just amazing!

Just hope we make the right decision now.

Jai13

Fledgling Freddie
I care ;(

I hate cold weather :p

You ain't gonna like global warming, brilliantly funny when watching the news or such like and they are saying global warming and we're gonna get colder, think Northern Canada or Siberia.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Oh do shut up, global warming is an invention, its taxable and it makes people feel guilty, the ideal tool for government

Jai13

Fledgling Freddie
I feel the same, but in a different way. I agree there is global climate change, its pretty much undeniable, but has happen multiple times before, Ige ages, dinosaurs with high temps etc. I believe it is a natural occourance and is actually showing we are coming close to the end of the earth's "liveable" life. for instance there were ice caps on mars that have shunk and dissapeared over the last centuary, there is also a cycle were we orbit closer to the sun, and for scientists have shown that suns expanded before they imploded, i think, not a pyshicist, so it is more than plausable that our sun is expanding and making both mars more habitable and the earth less habitable.

Dahakon

Fledgling Freddie
Oh do shut up, global warming is an invention, its taxable and it makes people feel guilty, the ideal tool for government

Yeah, because all the fucked up weather we've been having the last few years, and the way global temperatures have been steadily rising since the start of the Industrial Revolution is all part of a big conspiracy, right?

Although, Rain forests don't affect global CO2 levels at all really, because they are totally self contained environments they bring no net CO2 reduction to the planet. In truth, scientists think that up to 90% of the world's oxygen really comes from algae, so to stop global warming, you should clean your pond less.

kiliarien

Part of the furniture

I am reasonably informed on this topic, and it's obviously not an invention. But I agree it's the perfect government tool for coersion.

However, Jagadeo does have the right idea and he is correct in that sustainable resources such as rainforest will be of high economic value in the future. That said, this agreement does have a string of attachments including a lot of wildlife preservation clauses - which, although is a very good, could turn out to be quite expensive in the long run.

You ain't gonna like global warming, brilliantly funny when watching the news or such like and they are saying global warming and we're gonna get colder, think Northern Canada or Siberia.

The majority of the gulf stream shift theories have wildly exaggerated what might happen to the British Isles & several other countries as an alarmist press attempt, but it still a worry.

Enough of this, this is OT! Somebody photoshop a piccy of Mandela showing his naughty bits to the Pope! WOOT!

:bazbeer::bazbeer:

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Global warming = bull, sun warming "oh noes".

In the ice age they were sh*tting their pantrs when things started to heat up. Guess where we'd be if they had "done something about it".

F*cking humanity wiht its god complex...

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Global warming aside, I still cant believe our government has spent 9 months thinking about this guys offer.

This is some of the most pristine rainforest left on the planet, and if somethings not done to protect it the loggers are gonna move in and habitats and animals we've never even seen before are going to be wiped out.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Probably because it's a bum deal. You HAVE to save the forest, and if bought, keep it clean etc, your responsibility, but you can't cut it down. It's a moneysink.

It's funny how most people always say "they're cutting down woods!!!", when in finland, they've been cutting down woods, every day, for the past mhmhmmh years and the forest still is lush and growing and...i wonder how...

I have this weird image of foresters growing back trees so they don't run out of a job :lol:

Noone ever mentions the trees that grow each year.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yeah, because all the fucked up weather we've been having the last few years, and the way global temperatures have been steadily rising since the start of the Industrial Revolution is all part of a big conspiracy, right?

We haven't had any particularly bad weather over the last few years, nothing extraordinary anyway, nothing that has not happened before. Usually its because of logging etc that has made storms damage seem worse, no natural wind break and nothing binding the soil together so you get land slides, also building habits, people insist on building on natural flood planes that have been there for thousands of years, then stand their scratching their head when their house flouts away.
"nature" produces much more CO2 than humans can ever dream of releasing, every time a plant or tree dies it releases "tons" of CO2 every time a volcano goes off it releases more than we do in a year, even cows farting produces greenhouse gases.

There was an interesting piece on the BBC website (which i cant find at the moment) which said about old ships logs, where the captains kept details of wind speed, air pressure, water temperature etc, the earth has had many hot spells in the last few hundred years, plenty before the industrial revolution too.

I am not against living green as such, cleaner air in cities (if i am ever forced to visit the stinking ces pits) is nice and clean rivers etc but i don't for a minute believe man is going to "destroy the world!!!111!!" through emissions.

Its an easy way to tax people, make them feel guilty about their lifestyle then tax them for it, the same way they do with tobacco and alcohol.

Lucius

Banned
The series based on this (Lost Land of the Jaguar) was absolutely amazing - I recommend those who havn't seen it to go BBC iPlayer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom