Why do the english servers have such a low population?

D

danskmacabre

Just looking at the various servers..
The German servers (3 of 4 of them anyway) almost always have more ppl on them than the English servers...of which there are only 2.

The top 2 French servers also have more ppl on them than the English servers.

Yet, I would have thought that the English servers would be the most populated, since more countries speak English than German or French (UK and Ireland speak English and the Scandanavian countries seem to choose English servers by preference).

Yet, this is not the case, no wonder there are only 2 English servers, Prydwen has a pretty low population, so why would GOA create another server (like some ppl have requested).

Anyone have any idea why this is the case?

M

Meatballs

Ive not seen one advert for Dark Age of Camelot anywhere in the UK. Only media coverage Ive seen has been has been in an online section of PCZone stating how the new patch was great, but it was talking about the US version (we wern't on that version) - although it did say the publisher was wanadoo.

I think there must be a lot of people on the US server, british, english speaking europeans and anyone else who speaks english :).

Most people want a third server so they can play all 3 realms.

O

old.Redox

2 reasons I can think of

1) A lot of English players started on the US servers and are probably reluctant to move to an EU server which is further behind on patches to start over at lvl 1

2) A lot of German and French players have probably been waiting for ages for a decent game that is in their native language. This means that there are probably twice as many playing DAOC as there would have been if it was just in English.

D

danskmacabre

Yeah, I think you may be right, lots of ppl from europe who speak English, goto the US servers, that would explain a lot..

Oh well :(

I CAN understand ppl wanting a 3rd server to be able to play on all realms, but I can't see it happening, what with the relatively low population of the euro english servers.

J

Jace

Simple reason the English servers are so underpopulated - an exclusive sale deal with Game/EB (the owners of BarrysWorld). Nowhere else was allowed to stock this title, even places like Amazon were not allows to sell it.

Greed like this only harms the games industry.

I

ImLestat

Uhm, I bought it through Amazon...

Oh, and I heard another reason, just in the end of the release btw. The german (and I think the french also) got the beta Daoc client with some pc gaming magazine in their country. So many people tried it on during beta. Supposedly many of them were hooked on it, and kept playing in release.

P

Pixie.Pebr

If you want to play all three realms, drag some friends together and form a guild on one of the french/german servers.

It is not _that_ hard to figure it all out, after having played DAoC for so long as most of those of us have, who wish to try the other realms for a change.
Just respect that it is a german/french server and refrain from talking english all over the place and there will be no problem.
Good way to learn some german/french too ;)

Anyone who can say "Flight Broadhead Bolts" in french will do really well on the test later in school :m00:

A

Aeiedil

ImLestat, that was done in the uk aswell

the beta client was distributed on PC Gamer about 1/2 months before beta ended, thats how i got hooked :p

C

-chancer-

is there any information on / when / how the pvp server will be here i checked right now for some information and nothing at all :( anyone have any facts

I

ImLestat

Originally posted by Aeiedil
ImLestat, that was done in the uk aswell

the beta client was distributed on PC Gamer about 1/2 months before beta ended, thats how i got hooked :p

Ok, didn't hear that. :)

D

deadparrot

Yeh I got hooked on the PC gamer beta, a lot of english people were playing on export copies from the US by then tho.

I got my copy in a local game store when it was released so I cant see how they made an exclusive sale deal with Game/EB.
(store owner was suprised at how quickly it was selling, scary to think I might bump into my fellow townsfolk and not know *shudders*)

B

Blood

GOA really should do that trick again, send out a free copy of the game, along with some magazine, and then give them a free month.

Sure we would get alot of annoying kids in, but most of them would go to excal ;), and mixed along we would get alot of decent players.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

/agrees with Blood and admires pebr's avatar...

Is_that_you_pebr? /looks innocent

E

Embattle

Originally posted by Jace
Simple reason the English servers are so underpopulated - an exclusive sale deal with Game/EB (the owners of BarrysWorld). Nowhere else was allowed to stock this title, even places like Amazon were not allows to sell it.

Greed like this only harms the games industry.

LOL...stupidity in action.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005U2PT/ref=sr_aps_videogames_1_1/202-6239376-4708601

http://www.gameswire.com/Product.asp?WebRef=10106680

etc

etc

O

old.Gombur Glodson

I havent seen a single advert for daoc in Denmark either so maybe Wannadoo would wanna do some adverts.
And then we can scream at them for not giving us a 3'rd server.
Or perhaps we should roam the street like street preachers and tell people about the goodness of daoc.
The idea about the free copy is nice its like the crackdealer giving out one free sample and then you're hooked and need more.
Give my daoc!!! I NEED IT NOW!!!! DAAAAOOOCCC!!!
WGUYQGQU8GA9
/em runs around screaming

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

The idea about the free copy is nice its like the crackdealer giving out one free sample and then you're hooked and need more.

You of all should know about it ;)

P

- Pathfinder -

MMORPGs need marketing; GOA/Wanadoo didn't bother about that. Obviously this will have a negative impact on the number of people playing. Then again, the majority of the Euro online population for alot of games consist of Germans etc, so the numbers aren't very odd; more or less what I expected.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

A free towel comes with every box of the german version! *looks shocked*

P

- Pathfinder -

Originally posted by sickofit...
A free towel comes with every box of the german version! *looks shocked*

No way?! :m00:

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Of course, of course... and I somehow suspect the french get a lump of blue cheese...

P

- Pathfinder -

Originally posted by sickofit...
Of course, of course... and I somehow suspect the french get a lump of blue cheese...

Mm.. pie!

O

old.Gombur Glodson

a free poster came with the US version, but I think wannado should give out lurikeens with every copy.
Hell I would by 3 of them

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Luwikeens R TEH CUTE!!1

A blue ribbon comes with every Luwikeen(tm)

O

old.Gombur Glodson

Then they could do garden work while you relax in a chair.
like to lurikeens mowing the lawn, 6 lurikeens trimming the hedge ect ooh the possibilities are endless

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by old.Blood|Prydwen
GOA really should do that trick again, send out a free copy of the game, along with some magazine, and then give them a free month.

Sure we would get alot of annoying kids in, but most of them would go to excal ;), and mixed along we would get alot of decent players.

Alrindel mentioned them doing something like that already in france... if it works they'll probably do it over here too.

(was a cheap copy of the game, and a login to a restricted server that only lets them play for however many hours...)

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Originally posted by Fingoniel

(was a cheap copy of the game, and a login to a restricted server that only lets them play for however many hours...)

How cruel..hehe. Most of them will be willed to pay twice for their copy after that.. withdrawel is all I say;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom