Why Did I Bother?

T

Turamber

Resubscribed to Planetside and purchased the Core Combat expansion via download this evening.

But why did I bother?

The game is even laggier than it ever was, and the expansion pack? What a joke. I've purchased extra areas which I can't enter and extra items that I can't use.

GG Sony :rolleyes:

R

Rigon-Noir-

Not sure why you can't enter or use the equipment, if the expansion is enabled you have access through all active geowarps (ones that are active are named on map, ones that aren't just say inactive geowarp, easy enough to find). As for the equipment, it's like normal continent equipment, if you have the cert for it, you can use it. Med Assault gave me the spiker and Av gave me the Maelstrom.

I have noticed when entering caverns i get a jerky screen for a few seconds, pretty much like when i used to get when i first started playing PS or when i used to enter Jordheim on DAOC (mind you , only had 128meg then) but overall i've noticed the game to be much less laggy, many people have commented on it running a lot better also. Theres still some but not as bad as it was.

T

Turamber

You can only use the equipment if your side is in the ascendancy in a certain area. And you can only enter the expansion areas if you can find an open geo warp.

When I played last night all, and I do mean all, of the geo warps were on continents that were either locked or overrun with enemies.

This strongly indicates to me that CC was designed as free content for the game we already purchased. It's somewhat annoying to have bought an expansion and run around for 6 hours not being able to use anything you purchased!

When I actually did manage to sneak into a geo warp I got killed within 30 seconds by the TR camping the entrance.

Subscription renewed and cancelled in one evening.

J

Jupitus

Shock and horror!

EVUL JUP IN AGREEMENT WITH TURAMBER SEX CLOSET SHOCKER!!!!111

Well, a little at least :)

The rotation timer sucks donkey's.... NC continually fail to defend their home continents meaning come prime time (bear in mind I work full time and can't play other times) we spend most of the night just trying to get our home surface bases, and by the time we have succeeded in this AND the timer comes round my little eyelids are drooping and I'm heading off to bed. I have spent about 10 minutes total in the caverns since the release.

Lag wise though, I don't see a difference in performance on my machine, so far.

T

throdgrain

I didnt see any difference either, except for them planes that appear to have emerged from the ground, and also appear to be indestructable :/
Also us VS appeared to be heavily outnumbered on Hossin last night :(

O

old.D0LLySh33p

Talk about out numbered.

At one point (though I admit around 5 am) there were a whole FOUR of us trying to hold back 30 odd NC.

:(

S

Spinky

Alas, i've noticed a framerate drop on my machine not to mention multiple (temporary) lock-ups while something loads and i don't even own the expansion.

Maybe my machine just isn't up to the non-upgrade that CC gave :(

C

.Cask

Still can't quite believe that they charged so much for that expansion. They're just gonna prevent new people buying it when they realise how much they need to cough up and will also stop people like me resubscribing to play with friends or to check out new features.

Wonder how their books are looking. Found an article on Review Outpost stating that PS has attracted more than 60,000 subscribers. So at $40 for the main game they could have grossed about $2.4m for the original boxes. Not sure what their share of that would be though. Factor in the $780,000/month they're making from subscriptions which means 4 months revenue as it has been out 5 months less the free month totalling about $3.1m from subs. If say half the subscribers buy this expansion that's another $600,000. Completely inaccurate figures but what can ya do.

That's a hell of a lot of money which kind of dismisses my theory that SOE realised they had a sinking ship and were trying to milk the playerbase as fast as possible. But if they keep releasing expansions at the same rate then it won't be long before the compilation packs start coming out which will annoy the people who have been buying the expansions all along.

What'd be great to see is subscribers unions. If everyone could get organised they could threaten to cancel their subs simultaneously and bully the development companies into giving them what they want. That could be really successful seeing how the first years worth of profit from PS has probably already been allocated to new projects. If everyone cancelled they could take a huge loss :) Shame it would never happen though.

J

Jupitus

Originally posted by Spinky
Alas, i've noticed a framerate drop on my machine not to mention multiple (temporary) lock-ups while something loads and i don't even own the expansion.

Maybe my machine just isn't up to the non-upgrade that CC gave :(

There's a fix knocking around for that Spinky... check the Barrys Squad boards...

F

FragFodder

And for the non-BS people?

Can someone post something here plz? Coz i have the same problem

FF

Users who are viewing this thread