why compare war with daoc?

longbow

Fledgling Freddie
Im just curious. Why do folk always compare WAR with DAOC when it is more like WOW than DAOC? Im not wanting to start any flame war but from what I understand the main thing that they both have in common is that they are from GOA. Or is there more simlarity than I have supposed (not being a DOAC player)?
What do people think?

pikeh

Resident Freddy
*sigh*
GOA did not make the game...

Being Mythic's DAoC follow-up, as it were, its easy to compare the two together to see what one does what right etc. 'will WAR do large keep sieges as well as DAoC did?'. Stuff like that.

As with any MMORPG, Mythic can't really avoid being influenced by WoW, (who by the way has 10 million subscribers). I guess it stems from making crossover players comfortable, straight away- namely the UI.

I don't think WAR is anything like WoW, however I only played WoW for 5 days or so, as it was fecking awful.

Vintersorg

Can't get enough of FH
Im just curious. Why do folk always compare WAR with DAOC when it is more like WOW than DAOC? Im not wanting to start any flame war but from what I understand the main thing that they both have in common is that they are from GOA. Or is there more simlarity than I have supposed (not being a DOAC player)?
What do people think?

1. It's not from GoA; It's from Mythic
2. Of course we compare it to DaoC. Both have RvR, which is the main thing DaoC and WAR have in common.
3. Comparing it to WoW is useless. it's nothing like WoW. Considering you have not played DaoC, you can't compare it. Sure, there are some similariteis with WoW,, which is logical, since WoW is a rip-off of about every MMORPG out there...

Please don't use the word WoW here...it's a bad word :p

longbow

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks Pikeh for the correction of GOA/Mythic ownership. TOld you I knew nothing of DAOC :)
As for being like WOW _ I played that from CB untill a couple of years ago - there are simularities but for me WAR is stretching things into new areas.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Thanks Pikeh for the correction of GOA/Mythic ownership. TOld you I knew nothing of DAOC :)

That's fair enough, but why post a topic about it being more like WoW than DAoC, when you havn't played DAoC?

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
As for being like WOW _ I played that from CB untill a couple of years ago - there are simularities but for me WAR is stretching things into new areas.

I played daoc for like 5 years, did everything in daoc, from stealther play to hardcore 8 man group, to completing all instances 8 maning the dragons and such

Played wow from retail up untill war was released. In wow I have completed almost every instance besides a few bosses in sunwell, done pvp, done arena

The things war have in common with wow, is that they both are mmorpg game, kinda nothing more then that

Xanthea

Fledgling Freddie
Agree it is a mythic game not GoA, the french fries just host there gameserver/support and so on for the EU market.

But personally i do not belive that War will last as long as Daoc did, if you go deep in the game the gfx is quite trash "wow'ish".

Not only gfx but uhm many minor issue's mixed together i think will damage WaR until it has turned in to cluster servers.

Mythic state alot of things they so called had learned from Daoc, Not adressing only fuckup's they have done but im sure they have learned a few lessons of goodies aswell.

From my own point of view i do not quite understand wtf they actually did with Daoc, it was easy king of the hill in both pvp and rvr all that is left now is trash.

Question you can ask is did mythic let the players down or did the players let mythic down? who know's

But if you check the mmorpg market as today "subscription" if goes something like this.Wont list all

Warcraft 63.7%
Linage 1
Linage 2
Runescape

Warhammer according to mythic i dont have any accurate numbers on that but they state they have 500k "created accounts" If in the end WaR goes up or down if the numbers are true i belive it has to be called sucess for a releaseing mmorpg.

Daoc is not even listed but we know there numbers are 2000-4000 EU/US

Ultima online is 10 years old and in my eye's the groundbreaker of mmorpg's still has over 70.000 subscribers.

However WaR will never beat WoW with there 11 miljon ppl, but i dont think they have that as goal either "sure they like to slap them on there fingers but remaining on the realistic side" i think in a few months WaR is just another mmorpg fadeing.

Also i dont think you can compare any mmorpg with another unless we they are all unique created diffrent.

Javai

Fledgling Freddie

The 'new' areas WAR is stretching things is are often areas that existed in DaoC (particularly the idea of rvr, the large keep sieges etc) which is why people make the comparisons.

There are other new elements of course which aren't in either game, like PQs and to some extent the idea of scenarios from level 1, level boosting to allow you to participate in rvr from the off etc.

Alot of the comparisons are made by people who would really love to be playing DaoC 2 and are seeing to what extent they can get that in WAR.

Apart from the visual similarities, the gameplay elements which are similar between WAR and WoW are also similar in very many other MMORPGs, and where they stray along way from these familiars in terms of UI they very often fail.

dee777

Loyal Freddie
Please stop the "WAR looks like WoW" crap. Its common knowledge that Blizzard tried to get the Games Workshop IP license back when WoW was alpha. They didnt get it but couldnt care less and kept the style.

The PvP of WoW is only partly comparable to WARs. BGs and arenas are pretty similar to scenarios as are the open world objectives (tho literally noone does open world PvP in the PvE-raiding-centered WoW). Neither keep warfare, nor capital city ransacking is implemented in WoW at all.

WAR feels a lot like DAoC in the character controlling department, because you can queue one skill, while another is still building up. I havent tried a class with reactionals, so I dont know if you can queue an alternate ability, if the primary ability cant be fired due to missing prequisites. For example a black orc could (if it worked like in DAoC) queue up a "gud plan" ability and a standard ability as an alternate attack. So once his queue is about to get worked the game will execute the alternate attack if he has no "gud plan" due to whatever reasons at that time.

Hope the non-DAoCers understand what I mean.

Xanthea

Fledgling Freddie
Please stop the "WAR looks like WoW" crap. Its common knowledge that Blizzard tried to get the Games Workshop IP license back when WoW was alpha. They didnt get it but couldnt care less and kept the style.

The PvP of WoW is only partly comparable to WARs. BGs and arenas are pretty similar to scenarios as are the open world objectives (tho literally noone does open world PvP in the PvE-raiding-centered WoW). Neither keep warfare, nor capital city ransacking is implemented in WoW at all.

WAR feels a lot like DAoC in the character controlling department, because you can queue one skill, while another is still building up. I havent tried a class with reactionals, so I dont know if you can queue an alternate ability, if the primary ability cant be fired due to missing prequisites. For example a black orc could (if it worked like in DAoC) queue up a "gud plan" ability and a standard ability as an alternate attack. So once his queue is about to get worked the game will execute the alternate attack if he has no "gud plan" due to whatever reasons at that time.

Tbh you know nada jada diddely doo about that, you can look at it on many aspects "WoW is and came from warcraft" and IF they tried to get the licence for workshops so what....what were they planning with it? just have it to block other companies to make a mmorpg with it? who know's

Also WoW alfa did you see the wow alfa? you simply dont develop a game for months and months THEN get a theme / licence for it...so get real.

If they would happen you would have a Ultima online 2 "game closed"

2nd if you look in to past games, the overall open world pvp dont work.And there are quite a few exmaples of it UO,EQ,AC etc etc. in the end there be a small area/spot etc ppl go to pvp.

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
"WoW is and came from warcraft" and IF they tried to get the licence for workshops so what....

What he meant is, that Blizzard wanted to create a Warhammer game. They made an alpha, showed it to Gamesworkshop, and GW decided they didn't like it.
So Blizzard didn't get the Warhammer license. Since they didn't just bin the game they called it "Warcraft - Orcs and Humans" and the rest is history.

Main reason why there's so many 'Lore' similarities is, that most is borrowed from Warhammer. Not like Warhammer didn't borrow ideas/lore from other sources too ;)

Soazak

Part of the furniture
2nd if you look in to past games, the overall open world pvp dont work.And there are quite a few exmaples of it UO,EQ,AC etc etc. in the end there be a small area/spot etc ppl go to pvp.

World pvp has always worked better than instanced pvp, it's just something most players/pvpers like more.

Of course it's better to have a small area to pvp in so you're not playing hide and seek, but setting an exact 5on5 or 6on6 setting just creates boring fights, in wow arena people are actually learning tactics from website it's that predictable.

WAR seems to have this under control, there are only 12 rather small zones in tier 4 to pvp in, which (due to FP positions and zone layout) will probably mean there are 3 main zones, Thunder mountain, Praag and Dragonwake. They're already the 3 zones, and there seems to be plenty of action in them

Afran

Part of the furniture
WAR is compared to DAoC because it has lots of similarities, simple.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
The main reason is they were both medieval RvR centric MMOs made by Mythic. Same reason EQ2 and Vanguard were compared to each other/EQ1 and as the next NCSoft Super Hero MMO will be compared to CoH.

Light

Loyal Freddie

It worked in DAoC, and was the reason why the game became so popular even before the masses joined into the mmorpg fray.

Zede

Part of the furniture
WAR is Daoc 2. Mythic must have been thinking about it as soon as WoW became popular. EA popped up, said heres a load of cash, make a warhammer game ! Change a few names & voila Warhammer Online.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Im just curious. Why do folk always compare WAR with DAOC when it is more like WOW than DAOC? Im not wanting to start any flame war but from what I understand the main thing that they both have in common is that they are from GOA.

For exactly the same reason ppl think that GOA is the developer when they aint ;)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
WAR is Daoc 2. Mythic must have been thinking about it as soon as WoW became popular. EA popped up, said heres a load of cash, make a warhammer game ! Change a few names & voila Warhammer Online.

No, Mythic didnt get the rights for WAR until long after WoW released.

they are after all a second hand choise after GW failed with its version.

Toel

Loyal Freddie
Cause it was a brilliant game and certainly set my MMO standard.

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
It worked in DAoC, and was the reason why the game became so popular even before the masses joined into the mmorpg fray.

It also worked in Ultima Online.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie

Wrong.....oohhhh, here's what you could have won....

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
till now, war is better then daoc.. omg did i just compare?:p

anyawy

by that i say as, what I like..
if i see screenshots from daoc in beta, it couldve been an internet explorer game made on a floppy if u look back at it.

anyway: warhammer, to few classes atm, pve is good. pvp hmmm its ok.

hope the endgame at 40 is better for rvr, or im gone.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie

I think he was talking about open world pvp, aka Camlaan..which failed utterly and completely.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
I think he was talking about open world pvp, aka Camlaan..which failed utterly and completely.

yes coz of the 3 realms.. and later si... and later toa.. to ,many areas for pvp :p

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH

No.... Blizzard didn't try and get Warhammer on WoW... they tried gettign Warhammer on Warcraft 1... being denied, they decided to finish the game and call it Warcraft instead... the birth of the Warcraft lore world was done

dee777

Loyal Freddie
Tbh you know nada jada diddely doo about that, you can look at it on many aspects "WoW is and came from warcraft" and IF they tried to get the licence for workshops so what....what were they planning with it? just have it to block other companies to make a mmorpg with it? who know's

So much hate...so little clue...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom