Which Server... and how to play :p

O

old.Biffsmash

Hi,
Bought SWG today and kinda like it, except a few things are confusing the hell out of me..

1. I am from England, UK. Is there a particular server I should be looking at or are they all the same?

2. Why, when I create a character, do some starting locations become greyed out so I can't start there, with message that there are currently no route their at the moment or something ??

3. How do I level up??

4. The quest system seems buggy... I accepted a quest to kill 45 creatures (can't remember name of creature) but didn't get them on the radar etc as red dots like i have done before.

5. Any class in particular you would recomend for a noob? :)

ps: any tips would be welcome as i'm really finding it hard to get to grips with this game,, but would really like to :)

Thanks.

S

SoWat

1. Any of the two European servers should see you alright, though there seems to be more people on the US servers during their peak playing time.

2. No idea :)

3. Depending on your chosen profession, do missions. Destroy missions for shooty types, and Artisan/Entertainer missions for those professions. There's also delivery missions, but they're a bit of a chore.

4. Red creatures are in fact hostile to you, and will attack. Yellow dots are also creatures that won't attack unless provoked (unless you're shooting up their home as part of a mission).

It really is confusing when you first start out, simply because the game is so huge. My advice would be to start a dancer/musician somewhere, and hang around the cantinas. You'll see and hear a lot of stuff that will help you later (you won't get rich tho, unless you're a scantily clad female dancer:)).

Good luck, and stick with it.

T

Tenko

4) The "Kill x number of creature y" missions, wont give you a location or target area, its just find them and kill them where they stand. The Other missions (not from the explorer terminals) will give you waypoints and locations.

Note: Red dots on your radar mean they'll attack on site as said above and yellow will only attack if you attack them or sometimes their friends. If you click on a potential target you will see what looks like a small starburst next to their names. These come in colours of green/blue/white/yellow/red.

Green-blue are easy. white about as good as you, yellow tricky and red very hard. At early levels stick to white or below. Blue and below if attacking more than one at a time.

O

old.Cordain

2. You cant start from a capitol.

3. There are no "levels" like in DAOC. If you shoot things you get good at shooting things, if you heal things you get good at healing things etc.

5. Really its up to you.

One of the great things about SWG is the freedom of advancement. Sure its a bit confusing at the start but if you just explore and have fun you will end up as a master of some profession.

BUT at the start you should get each and every Novice profession trained. You can get rid of those at any time you want and get the skill points back instantly.

A

Apocrypha

1.) Chimaera seems to be the most popular Euro Server

2.) From what I hear, they stopped Naboo as a starting location to try and shift the players to populating other planets as well. Can't comment on the rest though.

3.) The game uses the Morrowind style XP system. IE. The more you use a skill, the more proficient you become at it. None of this "Kill so many monsters and your lockpicking goes up!" nonsense!

4.) Red creatures = Aggressive, and will attack on detection. Yellow = Passive and will allow you near. Blue = Other neutral players. Purple = Other faction players. Green = Players in your group. White = NPCs.

5.) Well I went with Marksman/Scout. Good combo of being able to kill plenty of mobs at range, and then using resources you harvest from them to make camps to heal yourself, food to buff yourself, as well as other special abilities like "mask scent" (stops aggressive mobs detecting you as easily) and trapping.

G

granny

Originally posted by old.Cordain
2. You cant start from a capitol.

Originally posted by Apocrypha
2.) From what I hear, they stopped Naboo as a starting location to try and shift the players to populating other planets as well. Can't comment on the rest though.

You can start anywhere but cities that are over-populated at that time get greyed-out and you end up getting forced to start in some stupid, deserted shit-hole in the back-arse of nowhere.

Log off and try again at 2am when there's less people around. Either that or just start in one of the deserted spots available and find a shuttleport as soon as you can and head for civilisation :p

O

old.Biffsmash

Great! :)

Thanks for all your advice guys :) You've made things a hell of a lot clearer for me! :)

I'll start in a euro server early mornin so im somewhere i like :)

Thanks and happy hunting :)

T

Tenko

Well if you start on Chimaera give us a message, I'll show you round my house and serve up some cookies :)

O

old.Biffsmash

Ooooh might take u up on that offer! :p

how do u send a message in SWG? :p

also a quick question,, how do people stand on leeching in this game?

i've just been killing some creatures and some guy likes to send his pet to the monsters i'm killing, of course greatly reducing me xp. Is this normal,, should I be thanking the guy?

not naming any names yet cos I might be in the wrong,, but i've found a new camp and enjoying myself kiling and harvesting the bodies mwuhaha :)

thanks

ps: are their any good guides to the game anyone could recommend? or is the ingame help and the manual all i need? :)

M

Mophead

If you want to send someone a message you can use the internal mail system (one of the options on the menu bar looks like a little envelope) or you can do "/tell <playerfirstname> <message>" to send a direct chat.

M

Mophead

Aye - there is the fact that anything except spacial chat seems to have been shafted for the past week or so.

N

Nightchill

except today, it seems fine. maybe it's just in the evening (when the servers get busy) it gets shafted.

D

Daja

tis when the buggers dont restart the servers, they didnt yesterday mornin n chats were fucked all day, and I'm not sure they did this morning eigher so should be so much fun today :]

M

Mophead

We'll have to develop some sign language dan.

Or we could use /stand and /sit and talk in morse code - a quick stand up sit down is a dot, and a longer one is a dash :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom