Which OS?

T

tooty

hello again, i seem 2 b a little stuck :mad:

the situation with updating my mobo has got a little more complicated (soz about this unfeasably long post):

i borrowed my m8's windowsxp pro @ the weekend and decided 2 try it on my pc as it is before upgrading anything 2 c how i'd get on with it:
updaTing 2 winxp did fix the problem with my ide drivers. my hard drives are now showing up properly in device manager, and my pc isn't crashing anymore.

as u can guess i was ded chuffed @ saving myself an upgrade. but now i'm having probs with my 3dfx voodoo3 gfx card. apparently winxp doesn't support 3dfx cards properly (glide wont work). i tried finding drivers, but only 3rd party drivers r available and i dont fancy trying them unless i really have 2 :(

so it now looks like i need a new gfx card. this suits me fine, as long as i can get 1 that'll work on my current mobo, as i cant afford a new mobo + processor + gfx card atm.

Basically the point of this post is, will my current mobo support the latest gfx cards? i've been trying all weekend 2 findout myself but the sites i've been 2 aren't descriptive enuff.

could u possibly help me out again?
this is my motherboard:

http://www.gbt-tech.co.uk/products/ga5ax4.htm

thx again :D

F

Furr

yea window doesn't support 3DFX

card comes up a unknown multimedia device

E

Embattle

Tooty more bad news mate.

The motherboard you currently have may support AGP x1 and x2 cards but only at the AGP 1.0 specification, according to the manual. Now I had a GeForce card once with a Chaintech motherboard that only supported the AGP 1.0 spec and this meant that I got a warning on bootup plus the games I played all looked fucked. The reason came down to the fact that AGP 1.0 didn't allow enough power to be supplied to my GeForce graphics card.

F

FuZor

Originally posted by tooty
hello again, i seem 2 b a little stuck :mad:

the situation with updating my mobo has got a little more complicated (soz about this unfeasably long post):

i borrowed my m8's windowsxp pro @ the weekend and decided 2 try it on my pc as it is before upgrading anything 2 c how i'd get on with it:
updaTing 2 winxp did fix the problem with my ide drivers. my hard drives are now showing up properly in device manager, and my pc isn't crashing anymore.

as u can guess i was ded chuffed @ saving myself an upgrade. but now i'm having probs with my 3dfx voodoo3 gfx card. apparently winxp doesn't support 3dfx cards properly (glide wont work). i tried finding drivers, but only 3rd party drivers r available and i dont fancy trying them unless i really have 2 :(

so it now looks like i need a new gfx card. this suits me fine, as long as i can get 1 that'll work on my current mobo, as i cant afford a new mobo + processor + gfx card atm.

Basically the point of this post is, will my current mobo support the latest gfx cards? i've been trying all weekend 2 findout myself but the sites i've been 2 aren't descriptive enuff.

could u possibly help me out again?
this is my motherboard:

http://www.gbt-tech.co.uk/products/ga5ax4.htm

thx again :D

Nuts man...
I see Emb has dished out the bad news... Soz man :(

The way I think XP fixed your H/D problem was with new drivers i'm afraid :( nothing special...

Buttttttttttt

You could always use windows 2000!!! :) sorted. or upgrade motherboard... or try and get decent drivers for 98 :rolleyes:
mmm its not an easy one this.........:(

T

tooty

blimey:(
ok thx again Quicksolv and Embattle, i'll have 2 have a think as 2 wot i'm gonna do, hehe my head hurts! :)

i suppose a new motherboard wouldn't support my current processor (amd k6-2 500mhz) so i could save on a processor 4 now?

F

FuZor

Can't remeber what sckt the K6 uses... but i'm sure its not the same as the Athlon's. So you'd have to get a nu CPU and m/b :(

T

tooty

ok, i suspected as much:(

i was gonna go 4 the Abit KR7A-RAID mobo, this would likely 2 b an up-2-date mb 4 a good long while wouldn't it?

cos this is gonna cost a packet, i was thinking of a midrange processor (Duron mayb) and a 32mb/cheap 64mb gfx card 2 keep the cost down then upgrade processor and gfx again later this year/next year, any recommendations?

I know u can't tell the future but is it likely the KR7A-RAID will still b supporting the latest hardware in a years time?

thx again :)

F

FuZor

If u mean will it still be modern...... probably, but its really hard to know if it will support the newest hardware in a year!!!

It will probably be good enough... but I doubt it will be the best M/B on the market then... even if it is now :rolleyes:

I'd recomend a Geforce 3 Ti 200, as overclocked it is pratically a geforce 3. But the geforce 4 is on its way, and a geforce4 mx can be obtained for the same ish price! It wont be as fast as the GF3 but will have more features which probably won't be needed / used by games for a LONG time :)

I'm sure Embattle will give his thoughts!!

T

tooty

thx (again) 4 the tips, gonna phone around with my fingers crossed!!!

;)

S

Summo

Tooty, in the meantime you should be able to get your system running properly. 3DFX went under ages ago so the only drivers available are thrid party, but they're often just fine (I made one meself for my old Voodoo Banshee on Windows 2000 :)).

There are some right here on VoodooFiles and I strongly recommend giving them a go. I'd suggest using the Amigamerlin 2.1 for Voodoo 3/4/5 for Win XP 2.1 version first. Even if it doesn't work you'd be no worse off.

You could also see if there's any GeForce PCI cards knocking around on the internet. You can get PCI versions of the GeForce2 MX very cheaply these days which will be a dramatic improvement over your current Voodoo. There's one here on Dabs for £80, which seems a bit steep to me, but still cheaper than a whole load of new gear and definietly better than your Voodoo 3.

Obviously a new mobo, CPU and graphics card is by far the best bet but as you're aware, that's a lot of money.

T

tooty

Thx SomeGuy, I was considering whether a pci card would b ok but went 4 an update instead. My systems v slow anyway, so i'm due for 1 about now anyway. Ordered parts yesterday from OcUK so hoping it'll arrive monday. :)

F

FuZor

Originally posted by tooty
Thx SomeGuy, I was considering whether a pci card would b ok but went 4 an update instead. My systems v slow anyway, so i'm due for 1 about now anyway. Ordered parts yesterday from OcUK so hoping it'll arrive monday. :)

What parts might these be? :)

T

tooty

Originally posted by Quicksolv

What parts might these be? :)

moneys 2 tight 2 mention atm, so i decided 2 knock getting an athlon xp on the head, i went 4 the duron 900mhz, heatsink + fan and abit kt7a v1.3 bundle 4 £114 and the Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 64MB for a snip under £50. prolly upgrade proper-like late this yr as i believe Doom3 is out just b4 Chrimbo

F

FuZor

Sounds good!

But dont get your hopes up about DOOM3, just look at DUKE NUKEM. Been due out for the past 3 years!!!

T

tooty

good point, i didn't realise it had been so long!

Users who are viewing this thread