Which OS?

T

tooty

Morning ppl, shouldn't u all b working? ;)

Anyway, i've had enuff of win 98, it has major issues with my ide drivers so gonna get a 'new' OS. Which is:

1 the best when it comes 2 gaming?
2 the most stable in general?

thx

O

old.Jas

Sounds like its Win2k if your after a stable gaming platform. You will notice a HUGE difference between it and Win9x/ME.

No doubt there will be some XP fanboys turning up on this thread soon

S

SoWat

XP is ok, but not as good as Win2K at the moment. It may improve with a service pack release.

Until then, Win2K it is :)

E

Embattle

Only get WINXP if you're not good with PCs.

T

Trem

Originally posted by Embattle
Only get WINXP if you're not good with PCs.
XP for me then, i hated it at first, and ive used all the windows OS in the last few weeks, but on sunday i put XP back on and messed with the settings for an hour or so and now it runs CS like a dream, the fucking auto-run is a pain in the ass tho, dunno where u turn it off:(

C

Chameleon

XP is win2k but better. It's got all the stability, plus a enormous array of added features and functionality that make it the best os by far imho. I loved win2k and used it for a long time. It certainly beat all previous incarnations, but winxp is better :)

T

tooty

on the driver side of things, i heard win2k drivers work wiv xp, this true all the time?

wot about the winxp driver database, r u likely 2 find everything u need there? or have i got the wrong idea?

btw does winxp work ok on slower machines, mines a k6-2 500mhz, 128ram, 16m gfx card
thx

C

Chameleon

hm on that spec id use win98se :)
Drivers are not a problem in xp. They were when xp was new, but this is the same with all new os's. You can get the drivers from the manufacturers sites as normal.

E

Embattle

Originally posted by tooty
on the driver side of things, i heard win2k drivers work wiv xp, this true all the time?

In theory yes but in reality no ;)

F

FuZor

Not quite... most drivers you can get XP ones. But some :(

Depends on your Hardware!

And if you think you had driver probs in 98.... :D wait until 2000!!!
heheheh
I am a fan of 2000, but although 98 had faults, it was ALWAYS very COMPATIBLE. Anything would run on it!!! Half your games won't run on 2000 or XP so beware..... :(

T

tooty

I tried my bro's m8's win98se, still had same probs wiv desktop crashing all the fecking time :mad:
it boils down 2 my ide drivers and windows being awkward, need summit more stable than 98

F

FuZor

btw does winxp work ok on slower machines, mines a k6-2 500mhz, 128ram, 16m gfx card
thx

Yes, but it will be SLOWER compared to 98! XP craves POWER! I'd recomend at least a P3 800, and 256MB ram. And at least 40 GB's og HD space, cos XP EATS H/d space like crazy!!! 10 GB at least!

T

tooty

*opens wallet, moths fly out*
...spose i could rob sum1 and upgrade my pc...

F

FuZor

I tried my bro's m8's win98se, still had same probs wiv desktop crashing all the fecking time :mad:
it boils down 2 my ide drivers and windows being awkward, need summit more stable than 98

Strange...

well if you want a choice beween XP or 2000, go for 2000 :)
2000 doesn't need soooo much power.

F

FuZor

*opens wallet, moths fly out*
...spose i could rob sum1 and upgrade my pc...

Just don't rob me! lol

How often does 98 freak out???
I'm sure there must be a fix! someone MUST know!!! I assume you've got all the new drivers? clean installed? patched up 98?

Has the PC always been like this???

T

tooty

gonna try and sponge some cash off my bro, he owes me 900 squid 4 my car i sold him:D

thx 4 the help:)

T

tooty

i only reformatted a month ago:mad:

keep getting 'explorer' fatal error wiv the box wiv the cross in it i could post the details if it wouls help...

T

tooty

Usually get this or similar once every 2 days....

EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
module <unknown> at 0000:833fcf60.
Registers:
EAX=008afcf0 CS=0177 EIP=833fcf60 EFLGS=00010286
EBX=00000644 SS=017f ESP=008afcd4 EBP=008afd00
ECX=004419a8 DS=017f ESI=0044188c FS=394f
EDX=81731fbf ES=017f EDI=00000000 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:

Stack dump:
bfb88d47 008afcf0 bfb8474a 008afcf0 00000200 00000000 0044188c 00000010 00000002 00000644 00017ce4 008afd6c bfb73bf4 00000000 00000644 00000200

T

tooty

nope, always crashing since got this motherboard bout 1 yr ago, been 2 hell an back trying 2 fix it:(
praps i could upgraDE mobo + processor (was gonna upgrade in summer neway); my gfx card wouldn't b 2 dated 2 run on the latest mobo's, it's an old card (voodoo 3 2000 16mb)?

F

FuZor

ah now it makes MORE sense! I dont 'think' its an OS issue!!!
Its probably hardware.I had a similar problem a year ago!!! It was an ABIT m/B with a T-Bird 1 GHZ. Always friggin crashed... Got sooo peeved I Bought a P3 866 an M/B and swore NEVER to go back to AMD. But after a few months of discussing / thinking I came to the conclusion that it was'nt the CPU but actually the M/B! got a nu one and all was well. Never looked back... In fact I've just built my 2nd AMD system using an XP. Fookin Brill :)

But it might not be the same in your case!!! But you might want to consider a Hardware fault..... MAYBE think about it!!! or if you can use bits of your Bro's PC like swapping the M/B..... hehe

So my conclusion is: Consider a Hardware Fault.....

F

FuZor

my gfx card wouldn't b 2 dated 2 run on the latest mobo's, it's an old card (voodoo 3 2000 16mb)? [/B]

Depends... It wont run Newer games that well. Especially if its PCI!!1 The white slots??? But if u get nu M/B u will get an AGP slot. And a GF2 Ultra can be had for less than a 100 squid...

E

Embattle

Point number 1 takes care of Linux besides what shock says :p

F

FuZor

Linux = Runs about 10 winows based games... Thus pretty shite for a gaming PC

Windows = Runs all windows games (depending on version) Thus VERY good for a gaming PC!

:p

T

tooty

the gfx card is agp
as motherboards go, i was thinking about upgrading my processor soon neway. as i only like 2 upgrade once every century i was gonna go 4 an athlon 1800 xp (think thats it) as this seems 2 b the latest on the market

can u recommend a good m.b. 4 this processor?

Users who are viewing this thread