Which Ombudsman ?

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Advice needed from Freddies and Fredettes.

A certain Breakdown Service, which shall remain nameless for now, has been repeatedly calling me on my mobile phone to try and get me to renew my membership, which I cancelled last year due to crap service and went with someone else.

On each occasion they leave a voicemail but it does not contain any details as to who is phoning, just a "Hello, hello, hello ..." sort of thing.

I guess they're using some complicated expensive auto-dial software that has yet to discover voicemail.

This is annoying, as voicemails cost money to pick up, and remain in my voicemail until listened to.

At first all I was getting was these anonymous voicemails from an 0800 number, which I ignored, with all the scams going on and that, then I found out who it was via the intarweb and concluded it was probably safe to call back.

So after 10 or so calls I decided to call back and told them to stop calling me, then I got another two calls, so I called again to stop them, and I've had two more calls since.

So, I'm now out of pocket for the costs of about 15 voicemail retrievals and two 5-10 minute calls to tell them to stop (on 0800 but chargeable to a mobile phone). So I sent an email complaining and asking for a reimbursement, penny pinching I know, but it's the principle of the thing (say if you agree as this will make me feel better).

I got a reply letter stating they were not liable for my loss (!) and then proceeded to try and sell me a renewal (but I was busy poking red hot needles into my eyes that day and decided not to take it up).

They gave advice on how to take the matter further, but specified the Financial Ombudsman, as this relates to sales calls and not some financial service, I'm not sure they are the right people to do the job.

I've registered the complaint with TPS but I'm not sure they have the legal teeth to do something about it.

Any advice who I can go to ?

Will

/bin/su
The TPS don't have any legal teeth, but they are the correct regulators. You might be best phoning them rather than registering through the website.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Email the company and read them the riot act. If you can find their PR dept email as well, cc that. Mention the TPS in the mail as well. I had to do this with British Gas (exactly the same situation) a couple of weeks ago and they fixed it toute suite. Don't bother calling the call centre, an email gives you a communication record if you have to escalate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom