Which is the best archer class in all 3 realms?

A

acei

My assessment in RvR as a cleric (having fought hunters and rangers and watched scouts closely)

Hunter - They're laughably weak against cleric's especially with their bow. Is bow damage lower for hunters or something? Anyway, their insta-pet is a nuisance it interrupts alot of casts by cleric.

Ranger - Worst archer class in DAOC imo

Scout - Having shield skill is their biggest strength over all the other archer classes... having slam allows them to hit a target alot more than the other classes therefore getting more damage, also i believe their range is higher?

B

Blood

Originally posted by the_smurflord
PS: This assumes it's a smart hunter, dumb ones are still piss-easy.

it also assumes that its a dumb infil that doesnt use snare, or doesnt out sprint the doggie

for the top question i'd sway bethween hunter and ranger, with rangers being a bit better at the moment, because of their ginshu knifes and damage add (if the circumstances are right, ie. shammy buffed doggie, then hunters would be best, but not really a stealther then)

(scouts seem to be cookie cutter 2 trick pony's, shooting longer, harder, and blocking alot)

(but TL Coordinator Mike Lesault have said hunters are lacking, which means they will probably get boosted defence somehow, so if i had to choose today, it would be a very difficult choise bethween hunter and ranger, considering mythic's history i'd probably check out a ranger :))

B

Blood

Originally posted by -fwapp-
a spear which in many cases outdamages alb polearms

lol what game are you playing?

(hint: dont sit down while fighting a hunter)

T

Tesla Monkor

The fact that Mythic has admitted that Hunters are 'not up to par' and 'underperforming', and did not benefit from the archer boosts as much as the other two archer classes did, should give you an idea of who definetily isn't the best of the three archer classes. ;)

Hunters suffer from a few areas that need attention. I won't say they're broken, but they need a lot more help. The archer class as a whole got love in the last patch, but those boosts helped Rangers and Scouts a lot more than they did Hunters. In fact, NOTHING changed for them. If you look at the overal average RP earning over the last few months on the US servers, both pre- and post-1.62, you'll see that Rangers/Scouts are in the mid 10s and 20s respectively. Hunters are still on the 34th place. (Of 39 classes).

A list of things that need to be improved:

- All spear anytime opening styles have a penalty to our AF. It's already the worst of all rogue classes in the game, so this doesn't exactly help.
- Spears are slow and too easy to evade. (They do good damage, though) (The 4.8% base damage increase we got a few patches ago doesn't mean squat if you can't actually hit stuff.)
- Hunters are supposedly the 'melee' hunters. Yet our defense is pretty much the poorest of all rogues. Evade needs a boost.
- If an assassin spots you, and suprises, assassin should win. If archer suprises assassin (using TS, for example), archer should win. This is not the case, as assassins just evade everything you toss their way, run over and poke you to death in most cases.
- The dog, albeit insta, is no threat. It doesn't attack very fast, and does so little damage that it's negligable and will thus be ignored. It moves so slow that it'll be killed/CCd before it gets anywhere. (I don't particularly care about it doing more damage, but it should attack faster and actually hit.)
- With the addition of the insta-wolf, the Beastcraft line has turned into a bit of a joke. The little used charm spells are now completely obsolete, leaving just a few spells useful. All of which except the speed one are poor copies of other spells, save for the speed one.

Some things that would be nice, but not essential:

- We can't equip a shield. Every other rogue class can. (Not that I would want to, but I'm sure some people would want it.)
- Swords for a hunter are a joke. We can't parry, and the weapon uses Str instead of Str/Dex like spears. (Str is not a primary for hunters).
- Move Longshot and Volley to the Bowskill line, and give each Archer a 'real' unique RA. Hunters do not have an RA that some other class doesn't also have.

Mythic has announced they'll review the RA and Styles, so hopefully there'll be improvements for us there. But I'm not holding my breath.

C

Cush

What i love the most about hunters is the 20% end usage/style

S

StormriderX

1) Scout - shield means that they are the most group friendly of the 3 should they decide to group. Can also engage/guard etc which is handy.
2) Hunter - gogo insta pet and strong spear attacks.
3) Ranger.

V

Vell

Give hunters Parry imo :p

At least there would be some kind of point to Snemel's Mug of Cheer then :cheers:

R

Rollie

Originally posted by Repent Reloaded
imo, Ranger.

for melee Hunter i suppose
Sniper is Scout due to its longer range but for a mix of the two Ranger, they have better range than hunters and hit harder then scouts.

scout only has 100 more range than rangers which is about the length of a toon, and the same spped bows which do the same damage, they also get access to AP+CD

Avoid pain on hunter/ranger make the choice one of those 2 tbh, scouts are good but the other 2 do offer more imho.

S

syri

all those hunters moaning that the self buffs are shite, just remember one thing

they're better than the other archer's self buffs!

F

Falcon

Glad to see everyone thinks Rangers are the worst archer, means we wont get nerfed any time soon :p

D

Driwen

Originally posted by syri
all those hunters moaning that the self buffs are shite, just remember one thing

they're better than the other archer's self buffs!

scouts ok, but you got shield spec in return for that and 100 more range. Also the other archers got 5.5 spd bow, which is 10% extra damage on your first shot compared to hunters. Ow and scouts and rangers have 5% more base evade than a hunter ;).

rangers got dex/quick, speed buff, af buff, str buff, damage add. Hunter got, dex/quick, speed, af, insta pet, pet buff. Now pet buff is in RvR useless for 99% of the time, af seems to be useless, but rangers have the same problem with that. So how exactly is hunters self buffs better than rangers as rangers have the same buffs and have str and damage add. Off course hunters got the pet, but that isnt a self buff. Besides that rangers have celtic dual, which should give them a higher boost in damage than hunters 2handers.
And the thing about the self buffs is that buffbots give better ones. Now where most of the stealthers are buffed every buff is slightly useless, except damage add (of ranger) speed buff and insta pet. But mythic just boosted thanes buff to shaman level I think, so they might do the same for the dex/quick in rangers/hunters line.

J

Juiliet

Being a slash infil, my experience is that of the 3, hunters are easiest by far, think i even got some screenies of oneshotting hunters.(slash got 10% bonus to mid leather/studded, -10% to hib counterparts)

Hunter pet is dangerous for uncovering, but in 1v1, in the case you are running from the pet/chasing hunter with the pet behind, sprint, stealth, turn, PA will kill the pet in 1/2 shot usually.
Selfbuffs are utter crap, as a part of your utility can be done SOOO much better by a bot. Spear stun damn dangerous, but again, for 1v1, they dont get behind me often.

Scouts shield spec just awesome, my rr5 friar(not wearing rings and necklace at the time) beaten by a scout in pure melee after slam+3 rapid fire shot. By far the archer with most defense. Being an alb, i havent been fighting em much though.

Rangers, theese i dont like, not impressed by ranger bow damage, kill a ranger who TS me and proceeds to try to run away, but get killed by one when i manage to perf it and it IP's and turn to melee me.

So from a slash infs pov, quite a lot of infs theese days, achers'll be fighting us a lot, id say ranger is the one im most impressed with, scouts a good second, and hunters at the bottom for 1v1.

For groups nothing got the utility of the scout, so definitely the best group player of them, usually run around with 2 scouts and 1 inf when im grouping.

R

Repent Reloaded

ppl r forgettin ranger's bows hit harder then scouts and hunters, they got CD, havent any of u guys ever seen queniva or whatever she's called, pwning all with just melee ?

B

Blood

Originally posted by Falcon
Glad to see everyone thinks Rangers are the worst archer, means we wont get nerfed any time soon :p

you said that a bit too soon eh?

see how they just nerfed los with trees and leafs
(besides, mythic doesnt need reason to nerf, they got their infamous "random" number generator)

(and for the record, the hardest hitting bow that hunters have access to is 5.0 spd)

D

Driwen

Originally posted by Repent Reloaded
ppl r forgettin ranger's bows hit harder then scouts and hunters,

allthough this is technically not true, as both scouts and rangers have 5.5 spd bow. And both lurikeen and saraceen have 80 base con (allthough luri will shoot slightly faster, but has 10 base con less). The ranger does have damage add, which works on their bow aswell (i think?). So they might slightly outdamage scouts with their bows

and blood the tree thing is a bug so it should not go live and if it does they might fix it between patch, so we on europe wont get it.

F

Falcon

Originally posted by Blood
you said that a bit too soon eh?

see how they just nerfed los with trees and leafs
(besides, mythic doesnt need reason to nerf, they got their infamous "random" number generator)

(and for the record, the hardest hitting bow that hunters have access to is 5.0 spd)
It's a bug tho ;)

F

Falcon

A ranger can shoot harder than a scout tbh, although the bows cap at the same rangers have a choice of higher dex races and a dex/qui buff for better bow weapskill and then a damage add on top.

M

m-obscene

dont saracens, elves and lurikeens have the same dex ?

F

Falcon

Elves only have 75 dex, didn't know saracens were 80 thought they were 70, my mistake ;)

Damage add still pushes rangers over the top though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom