Which CMS?

S

(Shovel)

Right, it's pride swallowing time.

I've taken on a (my own) project that's far to huge for learning PHP with, it was an overambitious idea that I really should have said "wait a sec" before I carried on planning. Sadly, I after delays of a year I wasn't up for delaying again for something as petty as learning PHP.

So, I'm going for an interim solution. One of them there Open Source CMS systems with PHP/mySQL would be very tastey to give me the start I need for the site itself, and then I can learn to do PHP pressure free and then do my own replacement for the site one day in the future when the time is right.

I'm looking at Plobe, since that's what the UMIST Students' Association uses, so I followed the link.
I've heard of PHP-Nuke, but I need recommendations.

If anyone wants to do extra thinking for me, the site to be converted into PHP/mySQL glory is Students' Social (link in sig), and initially I'm just looking to convert the existing content across to an interactive model so that more people can work on it more easily, with room for new features as time goes on. In that respect, an easy to learn "extensions" or "mods" support would be good.

Thank you all you lovely people :)

M

MYstIC G

I use Invision Board to power MYstIC G.com (see sig). The pages are all static HTML with the content being script inserted. It does nothing fancy (i.e. no such thing as a sort order for posts, newest at top, the end) but it does the job as it's basic. Personally I find the majority of CMS stuff way too ott for the job, with this if I need new content I create a new page, set up a new forum for the content & job done.

Basically my advise is that PHP Nuke, etc are imho fairly big & clunky, so don't dive in when considering them for use as they can be bastards.

Users who are viewing this thread