Which Anti-Virus?

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Hey guys, just a quickie.

My Norton AV definitions are up for renewal (yesterday, in fact). Before renewing though, I though I'd check what my best plan is. It's Norton 2002, so am I better off buying a newer version since I can but assume the technology for detecting viruses has moved on a bit since then?

Further, am I better off with a different brand? I'll probably act on it about Wednesday this week, since I don't want to be sitting around with aging definitions for too long.

Cheers,
Ben

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I've never had a problem with AVG. And its free. Common sense is your best friend when it comes to PC security.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
I like Nod32. It has a small memory footprint, starts quick (even on my laptop), boasts impressive sensitivity. Its not free, but its not too expensive.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Norton 2002 is 4 year old tech, so it's not going to be the best thing at detecting and elminating viruses.

Can recommend both of those previously suggested. If you want to spend money (about £20 a year, I think), NOD32 is great. If you don't want to spend money, get AVG.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Thanks guys. I'm definately replacing N2002, whatever happens. The ‘old tech’ being precisely the reason.

I'd never heard of NOD, whilst AVG is a familar name. The pricing for NOD looks good though, so I'll give the trial version a shot and if I can't see a benefit I'll just go for AVG. Thanks very much for the advice.

Ben

Sockstuff

Can't get enough of FH
Avast! is best one out of all the ones above that I've tried and it's free.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Get AVG, tested it and norton on an infected PC at work and it detected and removed two viruses that norton didnt (same date definitions).

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Nod32 everytime, you don't even know you've got it unless it finds something.

Gray

FH is my second home
isnt that the general idea of virus scans? :p

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Erm....yes you don't know Norton or McAfee are running at all do you? Unless you take into account how much longer booting up takes with Norton and not to mention the annoying 'update' reminders you get with both of them.

Norton and McAfee are both overblown bullshit AV that is milking the naive market of your regular PC World shopper.

Thats what I meant.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
mind, it should be pointed out that those bloated antivirus suites are quite good at removing viruses. The likes of Nod aren't (imho). However, Nod stops inbound hazzards so effectively, this isn't likely to be an issue on an already clean system.

Uriel

Fledgling Freddie
I've used/recommended Kaspersky for ages and have found it to be excellent at prevention & deletion. However, having heard good things about NOD I've currently got the trial version installed on one of my machines and it seems noticeably faster scanning in both real time and on demand. I've not had an infection though so I don't know how good it performs when it's actually needed...

On the other hand, I wouldn't touch Norton with a 10ft clown pole. :D

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Avoid Mcafee at all costs: unless you want weird problems that at first (and second, third and fourth) glance have nothing to do with antivirus software.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
NOD32 and Kaspersky are quite well recommended, from what I've read on security forums and reviews.

NOD32 is easy to work with, you don't even notice it's there. Though it's always running in the background, ready to warn you when that email from Lloyds Bank pops into your inbox.

Clamwin is an opensource AV(sourceforge), apparently it's worth trying out. It doesn't have an active monitor yet, though.

P.S.
I'd only give Norton software to someone I don't like :p

MKJ

Fledgling Freddie
Feel a bit guilty about this but I have been using Avast for a few years now - tis their own fault for making it free! Used to have issues when I used Zone Alarm with it but they seem to have sorted that now. Amazing they make it free for home use but I think they are doing too good a job. I for one would happily pay for it really.

Norton - yikes - pc destroyer in it's time. Now? No idea and don't intend to find out either.

Kaspersky? Awesome software. Can't really be faulted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom