Where to now?

I

iggy^

Gwan, comment, you know it makes sense :)

What maps you think for the new season? Views on p2p? Anything about the last season that you would change (getting rid of me is not an option I'm afraid!)

S

skwasjer

Thx for season 10 :D

Read a suggestion somewhere about requiring each clan to supply an admin. Sounds fair enuf to me.

Size of the league was perfect, allthough playing same clan twice could add just a little bit more spice to some games...

Maps, I would add cp14, and like w5 alot too, but guess thats a long shot. To be replaced would be ctf2 and w7 or w3

p2p, dunno if I have a right to speak as I am no BW-member, but anyway, if going p2p, then I'll go search for other options. So keep it public/free plz :)

W

Wazzerphuk

/me whispers something about xpdctf

:D

Plus, an admin from each clan is a bad idea. Most people don't have the time to throw themselves into adminning. I know damn well if I did I'd whack myself back on the admin list.

Y

yo_dlf

p2p n maps...

Maps wise, we know the 1's with good tp and make for gg's, i.e Wcp5, Wcp9, W2, W3, W7, ctf2 etc...so all should stay. Additional maps, well wcp14 is ok, too many base spawns for my liking, so killing def is almost useless + quad is only pu, no ra, so not great. W5 can be good, havent played any league tyoe games on it so hard to judge.

p2p, well, tuff 1 tbh, i dont mind paying, but thats me, I now some ppl cant pay (i.e not enuff cash, or too young for cc's or banking cards) so a fine balance has to be met. Maybe an idea, 4 or 5 players must have BW membership for the clan to play, this way any 5 can play as long as the clan has minimum amount required.

S

skwasjer

Originally posted by Wazzerphuk
[BMost people don't have the time to throw themselves into adminning.[/B]

Well, sure, but by having more admins in a pool, getting a cpl available is easier... Noone forces you to be avail for 3 nites a week for 9 weeks in a row. All I'm saying is, want to have fun, and a large, smooth running league? Do something about it yourself too and assign one clanmember to be admin for a cpla nites. Yes, the other option is paying to play, and if that's the end of the line, so be it. Too bad for me tho then

W

Wazzerphuk

dlf: ctf2 does not produce many good games. They're mostly scrappy, messy mid based spam fests. Not my idea of fun. It's been in for TEN seasons now. Give it a rest, at least for one season and try something else.

I

iggy^

Re: p2p n maps...

Originally posted by yo_dlf
p2p, well, tuff 1 tbh, i dont mind paying, but thats me, I now some ppl cant pay (i.e not enuff cash, or too young for cc's or banking cards) so a fine balance has to be met. Maybe an idea, 4 or 5 players must have BW membership for the clan to play, this way any 5 can play as long as the clan has minimum amount required.

There is a clan membership option that costs £60 for a block of 5 players. All they do is log on when required then they can go play. That option afaik is open to euros as well so its effectively £12 per person but any 5 can use it, if you need to change team, one logs off, another logs on. Easy :)

D

Doc^

Re: Re: p2p n maps...

Originally posted by iggy^

There is a clan membership option that costs £60 for a block of 5 players. All they do is log on when required then they can go play. That option afaik is open to euros as well so its effectively £12 per person but any 5 can use it, if you need to change team, one logs off, another logs on. Easy :)

That is a very nice option for clans imo.
Should help a lot of clans be able to make things work.:bazbeer:

C

Chameleon

dlf: ctf2 does not produce many good games. They're mostly scrappy, messy mid based spam fests. Not my idea of fun. It's been in for TEN seasons now. Give it a rest, at least for one season and try something else.

Heheh waz you still suck at ctf2 (the best ctf map ever made) then :p

W

Wazzerphuk

I r0x0r j00r s0x0rs!

I'm better at it than I was, but out of all the q3ctf maps that ever get played, ctf2 is the worst, and for some reason it remains.

Let's hope now Iggy is in charge he won't do a bigfoot and keep it in to please the div1 llamas who are too scared of change to bother learning a new map and a new set of tactics.

Don't let q3 go the way of q2 with a backwards, inbred scene. (Not meant to be offensive in any way, it's just you don't see any change in it ever.) Keep the game fresh and sort the maplist out this season. Chuck some other maps in for once. Most people are getting pretty fed up of only ever playing 6 maps. q3ctf is worth so much more than 3w2, 3w3, 3w7, cp5, cp9 andctf2.

B

bigfoot

CTF2 rules, the best two games i saw all season were on ctf2 \o/

I

iggy^

I r0x0r j00r s0x0rs!
Let's hope now Iggy is in charge he won't do a bigfoot and keep it in ....

*cough* i quite like ctf2 :)

Seriously tho, if there are any new maps that we might consider, let us know where they are (even if their not in the current mappacks) so we can have a look see at them. Don't be moaning later on if the map choice is crap if you didnt contribute! :)

W

Wazzerphuk

cp7 to return!

cp14 might be worth a crack.

xpdctf1 came close to bw inclusion last season, would still like to see this map in there.

oh, and harshg (cp8?) would make an interesting return.

</my bit>

I

iggy^

cp7 to return!

cp14 might be worth a crack.

xpdctf1 came close to bw inclusion last season, would still like to see this map in there.

oh, and harshg (cp8?) would make an interesting return.

</my bit>

wcp8?! Harsh Grounds?! You having a laugh I hope. That is not a good map at all for ctf imo. Thats a capstrike map.

I'd prefer Gospal Crossings - q3w5 or Industrial Accident - q3wcp11 before hgrounds

Y

yo_dlf

ctf2

ctf2 roxors. New maps, unfortunetley anit that many good maps been produced which is why its hard to bring new 1's in. The last threewave update was soooo poor, some of them were a joke, very dissapointing.

Wcp14: played it last night in Savage, probably the most boring game i have ever played. Way too many base spawns, and extremly difficult getting flag out of base. We totally outplayed a clan on there ( i wont say who) but still managed to only cap 2 with total map control...crap.

Wcp11 im sure was in savage a few seasons ago, and i really liked this map, great battles in mid with railers, and some great fc running oppurtunities, found them very enjoyable.

On-x's map, from clan hf weve played xctf1 i think its called, its a really good map, but ud have to play some competative games on there to see how it fairs up as ive only played couple of friendlies on it.

Xpd's map i didnt like tbh, no offence :/

B

BootLace

Waffle time

I like CTF2, but wouldn't be too disappointed to see it go for a season.

I'd really love to see CP5 go though, depending on the clan we play on this map (not having a *great* railer ourselves), we often feel like we're a man down (although could just be a sign that we suck at attacking on this map, but it does seem from watching other demos from all divs, that this map can often be defended by one really good rail def, which if you can't do yourself does mean you often drop an attacker to support def).

As for the other current maps, I'm happy with them (even w7, I'm just not sure we've learnt how to play that one yet). Thinking about it, I am getting a little bored with w2. 9 times out of 10, it just seems to become a long cross steal.

As for new maps. xpd map seemed quite nice, although perhaps a little too open. ctctf3, always seemed crowded 5v5, and could become a rail fest in mid (I didn't like all the slopes either, seemed to mess with my movement too much). X mappack all seemed a little large to me, can't really remember the "small" one that was meant to be ok. Had a couple of good games on cp2, eons ago (probably sucks though). I also seem to think wc3 was good once upon a time.

I like the idea of playing teams twice; playing 4 different maps against the same team would obviously give a better reflection of the abilities of the sides. However, I do understand the issue of the increase in length of the league. Perhaps, it should be a consideration if things go p2p and the divisions shrink (here's hoping they don't).

Also, as for the clan deal mentioned (5 for £60), any chance that'd be modified for ctf? (ie. 6 for £72 - 5plyrs+1coach)

Anyway, feel free to ignore the above. I don't know what I'm talking about (just a little bored at the mo' - roll on the next season).

Sod it, can we have friendly fire enabled? And maybe promode? :)

Regards,

I

iggy^

Re: Waffle time

Originally posted by BootLace
Also, as for the clan deal mentioned (5 for £60), any chance that'd be modified for ctf? (ie. 6 for £72 - 5plyrs+1coach)

If you have a UK player who has a game card then they can get a sub for £12 anyway (so the deal with 5 for £60 plus one gets another sub then your sorted). Its probably more complicated to have different deals for different mods :)

I

iggy^

Still no closer to new map suggestions tho :)

Wazz, what is the link again to the XPd one so I can have a look again please.

Also need other recommendations of others for maps so that the admins can take a gander at them :D

B

bigfoot

Booty - The system is scaled such that it goes £12 per account from 5 upwards to 9, at which point you get the paying member + 9 members for £108 (so effectively 1 account free).

Y

yo_dlf

Iggy!!

Also need other recommendations of others for maps so that the admins can take a gander at them

Here u go, had some gg's on this, felt good to play, took a looky:

ftp://ftp2.on-x.net/onx/on-xctf1.zip

On-x the chap who made it can be found here #frclan_hf

tata

F

fmczebedee

CTF2 has not only been played for 10 seasons it's been bugged for ten seasons. It's been a bone of contention for ten seasons too most likely so surely it HAS to be time to let those that hate it have a break from the pile of pants that it undoubtedly ( imo ) is !! :)

W2 as someone mentioned above is just one long cross steal / lg fest and rarely sees a good game. We ( FmC ) played it in Savage the other night and the crossover was a ridiculous 18mins & 20-odd seconds, brought to an end by the buzzer I might add. That's almost as much as you can get on CTF2.

My general view on maps is that if things have been tried before they can be tried again...

Maps to go - W2, W3, W7 & CTF2

Maps to bring in - W5, WCP1, WCP11 & WC6 ( Twisted Base )

Other maps to think about could be.. WCP22 ( I like ), WCP14 ( I don't really like ) & WCP7 ( not too sure )

Overall i'm not too fussed but a breath of freshness has to be a good thing at the end of the day.

P2P - I'll go with the majority but I do think it should have been decided at the end of last season though this cannot now be corrected :p

Admins - I think it's perfectly reasonable to require a clan to supply an admin, even if it's for only three games a season. I'm sure I speak for most of the current admin team ( especially those who donate more of their time than me :| ) in saying that we don't mind the efforts we put in but any 'breather' would be welcomed no matter how large or small.

T

Tay

Stuff...

Admins: Sjeez it really ain't that hard. Any clan who claims that their ENTIRE squad is unavailable to do one hours adminning a week is lying. If it becomes necessary, I'm sure SMaK could provide someone for this length of time even though 3/4 of us are adminning every Sunday for other leagues.

p2p : Up to BW...sorry GAME.net, don't personally think our views matter terribly to the business decision :)

maps: ah now a topic of more interesting debate :p

Now I really dislike q3ctf2, but I understand why some (sick) people enjoy playing it and certainly when its been put to the vote in Savage something between 1/2 and 2/3 of the clans have voted to keep it (we had it out for a couple of seasons but it got voted back this time around). If a majority want it in I'm (sort of) happy to play it.

All the others in the map pool are ok, although w2 is getting a bit tiring with all the crossteals that SMaK keep losing :)

But imo you need to add at least 1 if not 2/3 maps. In a season of 18 maps it just feels constricted to only play 6 :/ I'm not really convinced by q3wcp14, there have been a few good games in Sav on it but the division 1 games especially got a bit too DM-like imo.

ctctf2/3 both have the flaws, ospctf2 was ok in my opinion but others didn't like it. cp11 is ok again until it gets to division 1 and the rail-athons in mid. I'd agree with dlf that the last 3wave map pak was pretty weak and didn't offer much :( Worth trying some umpctf maps out possibly... something new at any rate pls!

R

raw

ctf2 is fuckin shite, i've been sayin it for like 7 seasons now and its still being played!! :(

I personally think ospctf1 is a great map when you get to play it, very open with lots of room to move around in, 1 powerup to fight for.. give it ago!

Also iggy i've got time to do a bit of admining again if your short.

I

iggy^

Originally posted by raw
ctf2 is fuckin shite, i've been sayin it for like 7 seasons now and its still being played!! :(

I personally think ospctf1 is a great map when you get to play it, very open with lots of room to move around in, 1 powerup to fight for.. give it ago!

Also iggy i've got time to do a bit of admining again if your short.

re ctf2 : lol raw, ever the diplomat

ospctf1 is indeed a good map, dont know what others think of it. We will put some of the maps here up for a vote soon and decide from that.

And yes, we will require admins, although we seem to be getting a health showing of CTF admins, we need some that will do TDM as well!

F

fmczebedee

Possibly even some TDM admins maybe? :p

Going back to the subject of admins...

How feasible would it be to offer a 'clan incentive' to provide an admin each week. Given the closeness of the leagues in general and the failure of a number of clans to provide any admins at all throughout the season why not award 1/2/3/4 points per season to each clan that provides an admin for one game each week?

That way everyone has an opportunity to stay on a level footing with regards to the 'award' and the clans that fail to take up the offer penalise themselves by not contributing to the league in which they play.

Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread