Where to buy new memory?

T

Tenko

I need to buy some more memory (not much only 256mb) and was looking for a reliable manufacturer/retailer.

I dont need anything special, no overclocking.

Any suggestions?

T

Tenko

Hehe, would you believe the page for memory upgrades is broke? :)

edit

Ok I managed to look at the memory but now I have a question...

Q) What the hell is the difference between each of these memory sticks?

256MB £28.99 (With VAT £34.06) CT3264Z265 DDR PC2100 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • Non-parity • 2.5V • 32Meg x 64

256MB £33.99 (With VAT £39.94) CT3272Z265 DDR PC2100 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • ECC • 2.5V • 32Meg x 72

256MB £44.99 (With VAT £52.86) CT3272Y265 DDR PC2100 • CL=2.5 • Registered • ECC • 2.5V • 32Meg x 72

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/

And how the hell do I find out which ones I need?

I have a ASUS A7V266-E motherboard which I think has the 1st one fitted, but whats the rest about?

C

Ch3tan

Get the cheap one.

ECC is error checking, and I can't remember what the register is for, but you don't need either.

C

Clowneh!

My cheap cheap cheap RAM no brand from ebuyer still works :)

D

Deadmanwalking

Also make sure its pc2100 you need and it's compatible with what you have at the moment :)

F

FatBusinessman

Originally posted by Clowneh!
www.crucial.com/uk
Seconded - Crucial RAM is very good, and last time I checked it was cheaper to buy direct from them than to go through Dabs.
Delivery is also generally very quick, and I've never had any problems with them (unlike Ebuyer, who I've blacklisted - I won't go into details here, but feel free PM me if you care).

D

Dr_Weasel

ECC ram is more for servers. You definately dont need it.

Ive never had a problem with Samsung ram and mine is overclocked to buggery, although the Crucial stuff is supposed to be the dogs danglies.

Also Ive never had a problem with e-buyer in about 20+ orders (including RMA'ing on about 3 different occasions for DOA goods) but Dabs p****d me off the first time I used them.

Horses for courses really.

C

.Cask

I only used Ebuyer once and managed to screw up before they had even shipped the order. Sent me an email saying my payment details had been rejected, yet they still billed my card for the order.

Plus all their stock has fallen off the back of a lorry, or something.

T

Tenko

Well I just bought my memory from crucial and we now have the task of seeing how good their customer service is.

While flicking back and forth between the order and the stats page the quantity increased by 1 each time, something I didnt bloody notice till after I confirmed the order.

Just sent an email requesting the order cancelled for x3 sticks of 256meg of ram!.

If they screw me over this the kids don't eat this month:rolleyes:

(Note to self: PAY ATTENTION YOU FUCKING MUPPET)

T

Tenko

BLOODY HELL!

I've heard of some good service before but an online company with a telephone helpline and staff who work weekends?!

I sent an email to try and sort it out and when I got my order confirmation I found a telephone number (an 0800 number non the less).

So seeing as they may have a someone on the telephone on a Saturday I gave them a ring, 20 mins after the order and 5 mins after my email.

The woman on the phone took my details and told me that her colleague was already changing the order by my email request!

:clap:

Users who are viewing this thread