Where do YOU play now?

Where did you go to from Dyvet?

• Total voters

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Why are genuine new players still joining the game and why did so few join Dyvet?

After having a quick look and a few searches it seems fairly obvious. Look at the main DAoC site for the 14 day free trial, it mentions that it's compatible with US servers only but it doesn't even tell me where I'm supposed to go as an EU player. Compare this to the WoW 10 day trial and LOTRO 7 day trial, it's quite obvious that they recommend their European partners instead of just allowing anyone to download.

This is something I'd be slightly mad about if I were put in GOA's shoes. The main DAoC site should redirect players according to their region. Especially considering that if you try "dark age of camelot free trial" in Google and camelot-europe.com doesn't even appear until the 6th page. I suppose that's what happens when you create a Flash site which search engines can't use and you can't get extra publicity by uploading your free trial to 3rd party sites for people to download.

Very good post and shows exactly where the problem was with Dyvet.
People will always leave MMPORGS on a daily basis due to either getting bored or finding real life stuff to do.

I think the lack of new blood partly explains alot of the attitude problems Dyvet suffered. Without new people turning up all excited about finally dinging 50 there was very much of a been here, done that attitude around everyone on the server. New players do far more than just add to the numbers. They bring that excitement of doing something for the first time like defending a keep or trying for a relic. Simply having a few newbies all excited about something can make a large difference to the general feeling of the place.

Roken

One of Freddy's beloved
I left around august I think. Population i.e. not enough enemies.

I agree completely that no new blood was the fundamental problem, but I think we have to accept at least partial responsibility for that.

The various popular playstyles were simply incompatible with a genuinely new player, my own included I'm sorry to say.
I imagine a new player in RvR found far more negative reaction than positive especially when the game kinda says If it's red it's dead on the tin.

I would come back in a shot if I saw a population of 800+ prime time, but I won't start on a new server.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
I agree completely that no new blood was the fundamental problem, but I think we have to accept at least partial responsibility for that.

The various popular playstyles were simply incompatible with a genuinely new player, my own included I'm sorry to say.
I imagine a new player in RvR found far more negative reaction than positive especially when the game kinda says If it's red it's dead on the tin.

I do sometimes wonder if the popular playstyles that evolved on Dyvet were mainly due to the stagnant population tho.
With no new players to keep the zergy keep action alive that playstyle died off, rather than that playstyle not existing and keeping new players away.

Chicken or Egg!

Sh33p

Fledgling Freddie
I would come back in a shot if I saw a population of 800+ prime time, but I won't start on a new server.

I don't see what the big deal is? Takes 1 day to 50 now and can level in RvR zones from level 1 up as it always should have been.

US Classic cluster alone has ~2k players atm and it's not even primetime.

The reason english daoc died is GOA's horrible managing of pretty much everything from day 1 and always being ~6 months behind whatever Mythic was doing didn't help.

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
I quit the game in june-july 2006. Started up again in US now. Playing a druid from time to time.

But W.A.R beta will take most gametime from me.

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
Why are genuine new players still joining the game and why did so few join Dyvet?

After having a quick look and a few searches it seems fairly obvious. Look at the main DAoC site for the 14 day free trial, it mentions that it's compatible with US servers only but it doesn't even tell me where I'm supposed to go as an EU player. Compare this to the WoW 10 day trial and LOTRO 7 day trial, it's quite obvious that they recommend their European partners instead of just allowing anyone to download.

This is something I'd be slightly mad about if I were put in GOA's shoes. The main DAoC site should redirect players according to their region. Especially considering that if you try "dark age of camelot free trial" in Google and camelot-europe.com doesn't even appear until the 6th page. I suppose that's what happens when you create a Flash site which search engines can't use and you can't get extra publicity by uploading your free trial to 3rd party sites for people to download.

Well said. And it doesn´t look like its gonna change in W.A.R. Mythic need to start pointing EU players to GOA ffs.

Himse

FH is my second home
Playing WoW / CoD4 mostly

DAoC lost interest after White Rose went to WoW, then came back with Shadows Crusaders / Purple Warriors and it restored some fun, mostly cos of the vent chat!

Played US for a while too with Roxanna Saje Helerion etc, was good fun but the rvr there got tiresome after about 9pm GMT since everyone decided it was fun to zerg.

Basic_X

Fledgling Freddie
Himse said:
Played US for a while too with Roxanna Saje Helerion etc, was good fun but the rvr there got tiresome after about 9pm GMT since everyone decided it was fun to zerg.

and after the cluster of the clusters over there it sure aint any better. but looking on the bright side. i do prefer to face zergs then to be able to go AFK on dc bridge for 1 hour without anything hitting me :p

(still got 30k last night figthing zergs and a lame ass lagg ^^)

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
So as it stands, out of 104 votes, only 11 play on Dyvet still, 56 play on other servers but must still enjoy the game to do so, and the rest play "BratZ - Teh game!!".

So in essence, 89% of people could return to Dyvet and make it thrive again but wont for various reasons. I know statitics can be read in many ways, but this does to a degree reinforce my theory that the players legging it have made it worse for those left behind (me included!).

Its also interesting to see such a high percentage have gone gerry on us, this did surprise me.

Celven

Fledgling Freddie
Its also interesting to see such a high percentage have gone gerry on us, this did surprise me.

Are you referring to those that have gone to the German servers? I wouldn't really be surprised that to move to Temair/Limors cluster has become very popular among the Dyvet community. Firstly, one would still be able to play their old characters on Prydwen or Excalibur without having to renew. Secondly, you do not have to buy the latest expansions to get into the US servers. Lastly, I know many guild groups have gone there in search for 8vs8 action and having played in America and on the German servers I can say the quality of opposition is much better - offering more challenge and thus more fun :) (my opinion of course).

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
So as it stands, out of 104 votes, only 11 play on Dyvet still, 56 play on other servers but must still enjoy the game to do so, and the rest play "BratZ - Teh game!!".

So in essence, 89% of people could return to Dyvet and make it thrive again but wont for various reasons. I know statitics can be read in many ways, but this does to a degree reinforce my theory that the players legging it have made it worse for those left behind (me included!).

You could also point out that if you take the current number on Dyvet. Times it by 10 (which would account for the 90% returning) it still wouldn't have enough to make it a viable server. Which would result in that 90% leaving again.

Like you said.. statistics can be read in many ways and blaming people for moving somewhere they could enjoy the game is never going to pass as a sensible argument.

Xrystofer

Resident Freddy
i've being playing wow for the last tree months since i renew'ed my account and dinged my first 70lvl^^ now i am almost full epic from pvp :O

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I play Gaheris USA (PvE server) because its fun! and has a rox community.

kirennia

Part of the furniture

Such a wild accusation! I went to play my little pony like the poll suggested. Anyone know how to unlock the third rainbow star in the sunshine dust world?

Jilson

Fledgling Freddie
excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is Dyvet. Not played for years an was contemplating getting a new account going. I was going to join an american server due to their larger population numbers, but then i see the german servers still have a few people. Although i can't seem to find a classic server with that many players. As i'm guessing it will take me a while to level up an i don't have the time for Master Levels (aws the reason i stopped playing in the first place).

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction x

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Ze Germans took over DAoC, they won the war and now brits play there.

Seriously, Dyvet is the Prydwen/Excalibur cluster, its dead, bereft of life, pushing up the daisies, slipped off this mortal coil and joined the choir invisible. Most people (as you can see by this poll) moved to US or My Little Pony games like WOW.

If you want to start again, go US servers, loads on their classics there (avg 1-2k ppl) or a normal server for real men like Killbury or Caerleon. Theres still life in the game, sadly not on English EU.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Shrub is getting my money now.
I resubbed on US Classic while waiting for WAR cause I was bored and didn't like any of the other MMOs after I was "done" with WoW.

Aeris

Fledgling Freddie
Something occured to me regarding the state of Dyvet and the long line of bleeding hearts blaming GOA for its demise, without considering also pointing the finger at the community itself, some who left for either German or US servers or just left the game.

From what I read on here and other EU based forums, loads of Dyvet players went to German servers. OK, they went looking for more action which is fair, BUT did they consider the consequences of doing so? Mainly the langauge barrier putting many of their Dyvet buddies off joining them, I for one wouldnt bother (yes I do speak reasonable German, but still couldnt be arsed!). Also, did they bother to think that those left behind, are now missing a portion of the player base and therefore would also get bored and either leave or jump stateside?

Then those like me, I followed my guild US. I left behind 28 level 50s in various guises, some great memories and a lot of /played time. But I did follow my crowd of freinds. Like the gerry jumping peeps, I went for action and to continue the fun being had with the game I enjoy. In a way I too said bugger Dyvet and GOA too, but without realising it, also the players I was leaving behind.

I am not saying GOA are not responsible for Dyvets demise, but wonder if the players hadnt left, just what the population status would be in comparison.

Something to think about eh?

I play with you ! :D

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is Dyvet. Not played for years an was contemplating getting a new account going. I was going to join an american server due to their larger population numbers, but then i see the german servers still have a few people. Although i can't seem to find a classic server with that many players. As i'm guessing it will take me a while to level up an i don't have the time for Master Levels (aws the reason i stopped playing in the first place).

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction x

Dyvet is the name for the cluster made from Prydwen and Excalibur.

If you want to play on a classic server; go US.

Trials of Atlantis has been made incredibly easy now. Every encounter is designed to be done with 1 fg of people max and you can also get Master Levels through RvR. If you are interested in playing on a ToA server you have a choice between US and say a German/French server. If you can stand the language difference then the GOA servers are probably better because (assuming you play at normal times) more people will be online at the same time as you and raids and events are scheduled at reasonable times.

For a casual player starting new, I would go US but if you are interested in trying hibernia on the German servers I can help you get started because thats where I play.

Kvadi

One of Freddy's beloved
I play with you ! :D

Hey Aeris m8, hope everything is copacetic with you. :)

Hope that lady of yours is looking after you properly m8 (hi Sam ;)) and that the wee one is well. :drink:

Aeris

Fledgling Freddie
Hey Aeris m8, hope everything is copacetic with you. :)

Hope that lady of yours is looking after you properly m8 (hi Sam ;)) and that the wee one is well. :drink:

hey dude, everything is fine here, little one has just commenced the age where he destroys my front room, but other than that its great :D

you still gaming?

Everz

FH is my second home
hey dude, everything is fine here, little one has just commenced the age where he destroys my front room, but other than that its great :D

you still gaming?

You tit hah, ows it going?

and nowt, just the odd wow private server and thats it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom