Wheel of Time - Nations

M

Munkey-

Reading the books, i cant help but draw comparisons between nations in the book and in the in the real world.

For example, I think the Aeil are Arab, the Sea Folk are Indian, the Whitecloaks are American, the Andorian are English...

you get the idea? Just wondering if anyone else has ever thought about it.

D

doh_boy

shienar == mongols? I *think* anyway who has top knots? (i.e. shaven heads with a pony-tail.)

I agree with the one's you said.

S

SilverHood

Don't think it's possible to draw direct links to Modern nations, but some nations do have a particular nationalty associated with them, as you said, Andor is very English like, Carihen is much like old France in it's Aristocratic ways and scheming for power.

The Aiel though, represent the Saracens better than the description "Arab" IMHO :)

They used to be peaceful, and then turned into fierce warriors who ruled their barren lands, waiting for their messiah to be reborn.

If you look at the Eastern nations, Arad, Domain etc (cant remember the last ones name), you'd see it pretty much reflects the position of Denmark and Germany, constantly fighting over the two duchies of Slesvieg and Holstein since the nations birth.

The Northern lands, don't really reflect on anything I'd care to comment on, except that they seem a lot like the slavs (cossaks, etc (I think)), in that they fought to hold back the horde of the Mongols in cold lands.

Personally, I find it intrgiung that a land like Andor is the most politically stable, despite being right smack in the middle of it all.

Comparisons between the Aes Sedai and the Catholic church can also be made, but I'm not gonna post blasphemy on these boards :)
(saying it outloud is a different matter ;) )

T

Tom

I'm just going to collect the books as they come out, and read them when its finished. It doesn't help that there is no recap on the last book at the beginning of each new book.

I got so far, and forgot what was going on!

M

Munkey-

Ooo, never really considered the Catholic Curch and the Aes-sadi, can see where you're coming from.

Tbh, i'd totally forgotten about this thread :p Nice to see at least some people replied to it

edit: heh, just read the site posted above "Land of Madmen: Australia?" made me laugh

E

ECA

I'd compare the Aes Sedai with the Bene Gesserit more so than the catholic church.

S

SilverHood

Originally posted by ECA
I'd compare the Aes Sedai with the Bene Gesserit more so than the catholic church.

You could draw comparisons between the Bene Gesserit and the catholic church too :p

E

ECA

What the catholic church is full of dickless preists?

D

doh_boy

Originally posted by ECA
What the catholic church is full of dickless preists?

They're not supposed to have sex so it's not that far away. Then again I've no idea who the hell benny gesserit is or what he does.

S

SilverHood

Frank Herberts Dune novels - The Bene Gesserit are a religious order made up of females only. They plot, scheme and do other unsaviory things to get more power. Just like the Catholic church.

;)

Users who are viewing this thread