Wheel of time movie

Helme

Resident Freddy
I would actually say WoT is very close to LoTR when it comes down to the basics - both authors set out to create a world rather than a story. I wouldn't however say that WoT is heavier reading than LoTR, or that LoTR is in anyway comparable quality wise. Tolkien's prose was bad when the books were released, and it's almost downright terrible now with age. WoT is actually fairly easy reading I would say, it does however reward people who put effort into it with subtle hints and forshadowing, I don't think there's anything that equals it in literature, you can pick up the first book that was written over 20 years ago and see hints towards plots that are just now getting resolved - 13 books down the line.

This is really why I'm abit worried about the books becoming movies, I don't think the story itself is all that amazing but the attention to detail Jordan had, and the overall plan would most likely be lost in translation. I mean, one sentence from an Aes Sedai in a movie wouldn't cause people to obsessively try to decipher it's true meaning for several years like the books have.

edit: Also Tierk, I'm unsure what you mean but incase you didn't know - Jordan spent his last year alive compiling notes together with Brandon Sanderson, the series will be finished next year, two books have already been released and I would honestly say they are probably the best in the series.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Yes i have 100 pages to go on book 13 and its immense , ive devoured 750 pages sofar in 2 days , i just can't put it down and yet im saving the last 80 odd pages for later on as i know im gonna have to wait a year for the conclusion .

Still to simplify it down i think the 1st book or 3-4 books would as ive said make a very good movie/series of movies

Drummer-Deamer

Fledgling Freddie
edit: Also Tierk, I'm unsure what you mean but incase you didn't know - Jordan spent his last year alive compiling notes together with Brandon Sanderson, the series will be finished next year, two books have already been released and I would honestly say they are probably the best in the series.

Agreed. I was pretty pessimistic when I heard another, for me, unknown author would finish the series but dang I enjoyed The Gathering Storm and like Punishment I'm coasting through the last one.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Ya please don't, LOTR is gutter trash in comparison.

It has it's place in early sci-fant writing but it's really an overrated POS fetishised by people who dress up as frodo and co at the weekend to enact scenes of their true love.

Oh stop being so Tohtori-ish

tierk

Part of the furniture

Sorry i thought i replied to this earlier.

After reading Cross Roads of Twilight (10) i found out he had died. At first i thought the series would never be finished and tbh it's been collecting dust (the entire series 1-10) in my mini library since then. When I found out that it would be completed by someone else i thought it would be totally crap. However, as it seems everyone is giving the thumbs up on them i will at some point reread the whole series and ofc the final bits, if i ever find them here in Qatar.

****EDIT****

I still think that the scope of work on this series will be impossible to make movies of unless it is like a 6 part series. Keeping in mind the LOTR was 3 films for a book that is about 1500 pages long and the WOT series is what at least 7 times as long, simple maths tells you it will be a huge undertaking for any person /studio etc. Cant see it happening though would love to see the end result.

Roalith

Can't get enough of FH
LOTR was 3 films for 3 books.

Not arguing with your point about how many films they'll need to make for WOT though.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
How much of a continuity is the wheel of time?

Because, in a light LIGHT comparison to get my point across;

x-men origins, takes a tiny miniscule part of a really huge story and makes it work.

They could have a movie of the world, some adenture here or there and see if it strikes the fancy of people or even introduce some.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Nope, it's one massive story arc Toht, your basic good versus evil with lots of small break away plots and story arc's. Without telling the whole, the smaller tales would make little sense.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
How much of a continuity is the wheel of time?

Because, in a light LIGHT comparison to get my point across;

x-men origins, takes a tiny miniscule part of a really huge story and makes it work.

They could have a movie of the world, some adenture here or there and see if it strikes the fancy of people or even introduce some.

The novel ''New Spring'' the prequel to the WOT series would actually make a great stand alone movie also , not as good as the 1st book but still :D

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Nope, it's one massive story arc Toht, your basic good versus evil with lots of small break away plots and story arc's. Without telling the whole, the smaller tales would make little sense.

I imagined as much, but could it be feasible(if not looked at by a fan of the whole arc, or from a fan based "thou shalt not touch this!") to show a glimpse into the world?

Even perhaps outside the main protagonist?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Not really, the main characters are what tie the world in. There are some great sub stories, but only because they relate to the main characters or their stories.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Ah ok, would be kinda like telling the story of the two hobbits running around in the walkytree forest.

Guess it has to be a "start for a long line of films" ala harry potter, with either break or bomb.

It's not impossible ofcourse, but knowing how fiddly the moviegoers are ;)

Helme

Resident Freddy
You could probably make a movie about some of Birgitte's and Gaidals adventures in previous lives, possibly something related to the Aiel War or Moiraine & Siuan. I don't think it is possible to condense the main story arc into anything less than 5-6 movies though, and even then you'll be cutting out a lot of major plot points. I guess the best we could hope for if we want to do the series justice is a TV series like Ice and Fire is getting. The problem there is that pure fantasy TV series hasn't done that well in the past, and WoT doesn't have nearly as much juicy political backstabbing and naked women as Ice and Fire does.

Zenith

Part of the furniture
You could potentially make stories regarding, as you said, Birgitte and Gaidal, or any other of the people lost in time... Or even about the Aiel, as a people, or about the creation of the Crystal Throne... (cant remember the name of the people atm). There is space for LOADS of small stories to be told, but none would REALLY make sense without the main arc being told.

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
I want to see the live motion capturing of a myrdraal! ^^

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
it will be like Matrix bullet time but speeded up I guess :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom