Wheel Of Time = best fantasy series ever.

L

~Lazarus~

Originally posted by Testin da Cable
I'm not very appreciative of humor today. I put it down to a severe lack of caffeine.

me fluffles TdC :fluffle:

A

Arnor

Originally posted by ECA

Lord of the Rings by comparison, is a light childrens novel, in terms of style of authors writing ( overly descriptive, basic good vs evil plot, etc. )

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...48054/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_3_2/202-2115832-6280638

eh, no?

I found WoT to be good, but too much ripoff from LOTR for my liking, add some fantasy clichès and thats about it, I read it till about book 6 or so, then got bored and jumped the Discworld wagon, read out the 27 books in like 3mnths.

Pro is that it was more evil/dark than LOTR for the most. And was cool that battle in the skies shit. Cool way of portraing magic too. And the wardens(?) were just SO hard ;)

But seriously, the 9(?) scary ppl(lanfear&co) was like SO ripoff from the ringwraiths its silly.

T

Trebz

Re: Re: Wheel Of Time = best fantasy series ever.

Originally posted by Arnor2
But seriously, the 9(?) scary ppl(lanfear&co) was like SO ripoff from the ringwraiths its silly.

Oh come on, the ringwraiths are 9 bad drones, they have no emotions, they have no individuality and they dont even speak. You cannot even begin to compare them to the The Chosen, each of whom has their own individual styles, charms and evilness. The only thing in relation here is that theres 9 of them.

Sure, WOT has a few fantasy cliches, trollocs for example are pretty much the bog standard orc. If you're gonna do any comparing then compare the ringwraiths the mydraal, they have much better similarities.

WOT is fantasy, its bound to have links to LOTR, but geeze, its soooo much more.

Oh, theres no freakin Tom Bombadil either!

E

ECA

Re: Re: Re: Wheel Of Time = best fantasy series ever.

Originally posted by Trebz
Oh come on, the ringwraiths are 9 bad drones, they have no emotions, they have no individuality and they dont even speak. You cannot even begin to compare them to the The Chosen, each of whom has their own individual styles, charms and evilness. The only thing in relation here is that theres 9 of them.

Sure, WOT has a few fantasy cliches, trollocs for example are pretty much the bog standard orc. If you're gonna do any comparing then compare the ringwraiths the mydraal, they have much better similarities.

WOT is fantasy, its bound to have links to LOTR, but geeze, its soooo much more.

erm
theres 12 chosen ones
thx
:-]

Actually arnor2.

How are they ripoffs?

They are central to the plot, and they dont just chase Rand around.
At one point there are orders not to kill him.

There are in fact no similarities between them other than that they are both in books.

D

doh_boy

Re: Re: Re: Wheel Of Time = best fantasy series ever.

Originally posted by Trebz

what about the green man?

:p

K

kan

just finished book 9, ill wait for book ten on paperback before i buy it as you all say its a little dull.

thoughly enjoying WOT tho, can be hard work to read sometimes but apart from that its good :)

( i still dont think morriane is dead either)

(Taim isnt just a madman who thought he was the dragon reborn, i am sure he will have a big part in a future book)

D

doh_boy

Well he trained one of the chosen (aginor/osan'gar) Dashiva so it would follow.

A good source of info and speculation is the FAQ:

Main menu

Mazrim Taim

A

Anasyn

I'd second the notion earlier on in the thread about Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, I'm enjoying WoT but I personally prefer SoT (apart from Pillars of Creation, which is rather slow and frankly, kinda [self gratifying - politically correct ed].
It's definately as well written, possibly even better written than WoT, allowing you to feel closer to the characters than RJ has allowed so far on WoT (I'm only just near finishing book 6 though, for some reason last 4 chapters are taking an age in themselves, by the time I'm done the Final Battle will have come and gone and there'll be another madman at the end of the 4th age trying to do the whole thing again etc).

Finally, if anyone's interested in the Sword of Truth here are the books in order (they're all excellent standalone books, but as usual, more easily understood when read in order)
1. Wizards First Rule
2. Stone Of Tears
3. Blood Of The Fold
4. Temple Of The Winds
5. Soul Of The Fire
6. Faith Of The Fallen
7. Pillars Of Creation
There's also a supplemental mini-story called Debt Of Bones which just lets you in on a life-shaping event on one of the main characters which may help you understand him, although I wouldn't read it until after reading book 1 so you understand who he is now (basics now, whys and wherefores later etc).

My personal favorites in the series so far are definately Wizards First Rule, Temple Of The Winds and Faith Of The Fallen.

ps. I also agree totally with wolfeeh btw, Egwene REALLY gets on my tits, even my tiny manbreasts get irritated when she makes an appearance :p
pps. wolfeeh:princess Mononoke was produced by Studio Ghibli, who unfortunately went under a long time ago :(

E

ECA

I didn't like sword of truth, its not as epic. Your following one or two plot parties throughout as compared to WoT where theres tens.

Undoubtably it makes WoT seem slow but then WoT is gonna be around 15-20 books and is one whole story each SoT book is its own story.

J

Jonny_Darko

Originally posted by doh_boy

I was thinking along the lines of zena or Hercules but a bit better quality.

Totally. WOT could work as a TV series better than as films, but they'd never consider it.

I actually think Harry Potter would have worked better as a buffy-style show than a set of films.

Seven books / Seven years at Hogwarts / Seven 22-episode seasons. If done properly could fill it with extra magical fun adventures rather than cutting stuff out.

I reckon it would have rocked.

E

ECA

I think a mini-series with say 8 one hour programs for each book maybe. Although you might need a LOT more simply because theres so much more to cover and we wouldn't want anything missed out :-]

Hmm maybe 22 eps would be better :-] theres certainly enough action.

K

kan

Just got book 10 from ebay :) 8 quid for a hardback unread book was cheap enough imo.

ill start reading it as soon as i finish the first book of a song of ice and fire :)

O

old.ignus

well thanks to you lot I've started reading the first book but haven't got very far yet.

A

Anasyn

Update

I'm just finishing book 9 now, although book 10 can wait until it's out in paperback, then it looks the same as the rest of them, same reason I've not got Naked Empire by Terry Goodkind yet either, still only hardback. Although I have bought A Song Of Ice And Fire, so that's in my backlog to be read (behind Night Watch [Discworld/Terry Pratchett] and The Dark Glory War & Fortress Draconis [Michael A. Stackpole, only availble on order I think, I had to order the one in from America]. Actually, I've yet to finish Science Of Discworld, it's heavy reading)

W

Weeping Willow

I never really got into the WoT series, probably because I read the first books in Swedish and the translation is really crap. Guess I have to start reading again in english.

7th

Bah WOT... my ex-girlfriend bought me the first book for a birthday years back as an attempt to get me into it, i got as far as book 8 then had to sit and wait for book 9, when that eventually came out i just couldn't be bothered touching it. I got maybe 20 pages into it and had to stop to think who the hell the characters where that i was reading about.

there are *far* too many moments in the books where i just sat there reading and thinking to myself "can we get back to the cool stuff now? this is tedious as hell"... especially that nynaeve woman (cant remember how you spell her name ;/).. had me grrr'ing and putting the books down to gather dust on more than one occasion

it started off well enough but IMO its gone tits up, its too unwieldy... i even tried reading through book 1 again and it just bored me to tears, to the point where i gave up after the first half of it.

Now David Gemmell... I've had more enjoyment reading the rigante series over the past 2 weeks than i have in the years i read WOT in. There aren't many fantasty writers who capture my imagination the same way David Gemmell has.

To sum up my feelings... the WoT series was a nice idea, its a bit long to bother with though and its becoming a bit unwieldy.. there where a lot of times when i'd stop and think "who the hell are they referring to in this book?"... trying to keep a mental checklist of hundreds of bloody characters isn't my idea of a fun read.

Wheel Of Time = best fantasy series ever? no chance

7th

B

brp

Made it to book six, through recomendations but was thoroughly bored and haven't finished it (started on book 1 this summer - i tend to read a lot). The wheel of Time books have some very interesting parts in them, but they are ridden with boring writing which frustates me. I would read one of the books and go through long periods of irritation which hasn't endeared them to me.
On a better note, I have to agree with some of the other posters, the George R R Martin books are absolutely excellent and I have been looking forward to the next installment since I finished the last one a couple of years ago (i think). Excellent character development and superb story lines. Roll on 2004 when the next instalment is due.

ben.

edit: with regards to best series ever: in my opinion Feist, Gemmell, Eddings and Martin have all produced better series so it doesn't get my vote.

L

~Lazarus~

Originally posted by kan
Just got book 10 from ebay :) 8 quid for a hardback unread book was cheap enough imo.

I got mine for £4.99 ;)

E

Eleasias

WoT started off really nicely but got worse the more you read, still, I'm going to buy the 11th book aswell, just to see what happens. However I'm hoping it wont be released anytime soon since I'm still recovering from the boring horror that the 10th part was.

WoT is a child's bedtime story compared to the Song of Fire and Ice, which is probably the best fantasy serie ever written.

~drooling while waiting for the sequel~

T

Testin da Cable

heh just got book three. been buying them every two days :)

S

Sichama

Well as i havent seen this posted anywhere here (not that i looked very hard) im sharing a link i have had for quite some time now and beeing checking it occasionaly.

http://www.dimensionalware.com/wotrpg.php

I very much dislike stories that don't finish in 3 books max, but im at this moment in the middle of the 8th book and enjoying it thoroughly. Only other case this has happened again is with the Hitchhikers's Guide to the Galaxy.

Ultimately it is, as every other story of it's kind, a ripoff of ideas and plots, mixed with some original stuff, but it is extremely well writen, with excelent characters, and it gets you hooked, to bad it's so long.

It's one of these cases in my life that although it has many features i would dislike in a work like this, in the end it has made me a fan of it.

S

SilverHood

One thing I can't stand about WoT is the way Nynaeve and Faile are written.
ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz, they bore me shitless.

One thing is funny when you read it the first time though - you miss stuff, little bits that didn't make sense. Sometimes it comes to you as it went further on, but when I read the series for the second time (two years on from when I finished book 8), it was better than when I read it the first time. All these small things suddenly made sense. Of course, I had to skip the bits about Nynaeve.

Reading about Elaine isn't that bad, and Egwene is usually pretty good, because her head isn't full of girls fancy.

Still, my fave character would have to be Matrim Cauthon. Damn I like that guy. Now, if Jordan would stop about Perrin and Faile, and write more about Mat, I'd be happy.

E

ECA

Yeah theres a lot of moments early on, eg four kings village, etc. that are explained after.

Users who are viewing this thread