Wheel Of Time = best fantasy series ever.

T

Trebz

Now you're talking. WOT is the reason I asked ben for this forum.

Currently just starting the new book, so please don't write spoilers without warning. That goes for any book actually incase people haven't read it.

X

xane

As a long-standing Sci-Fi and Fantasy reader I did actually give WoT a go and didn't really like it, I preferred Eddings stuff although that got a bit silly in the end.

T

Trebz

I dislike Eddings, it's very Trash Fantasy. All the stories are the same and the whole belgariad/mallorean thing is pretty much the same story but with different locations. It's a very simplistic style of novel and it paled in comparison to WOT.

The first book of WOT isnt the best and to be honest its a lot more enjoyable to read once youve read through the books one time already as a lot of the information in book one you dont understand until later.

E

ECA

Originally posted by Trebz
I dislike Eddings, it's very Trash Fantasy. All the stories are the same and the whole belgariad/mallorean thing is pretty much the same story but with different locations. It's a very simplistic style of novel and it paled in comparison to WOT.

The first book of WOT isnt the best and to be honest its a lot more enjoyable to read once youve read through the books one time already as a lot of the information in book one you dont understand until later.

I think I said that when we were talking about it on IRC.

And yes Eddings is enjoyable for light reading, but its not particularly substantial, and its certainly not something you'd call Epic.

WoT is 10 books long, at 500 pages per book MINIMUM, thats 5000 pages, I think its more like 6000-7500.

T

TedTheDog

Do the WOT books follow on from each other and therefore should they be read in a particular order?
What are all the books called?

T

Trebz

1. Eye of the World
2. The Great Hunt
3. The Dragon Reborn
4. Shadow Rising
5. The Fires of Heaven
6. Lord of Chaos
7. A Crown of Swords
8. The Path of Daggers
9. Winter's Heart
10. Crossroads of Twilight

Yes, read them in order :)

E

ECA

I wonder if anyone has film rights for WoT?

Shame is you couldnt even do it in a trilogy.

You'd need a trilogy for each book.

An animated style with a mini-series for each book would be nice, but if they used american voice actors i'd be so pissed off, or if they went childrens animation style.

T

Testin da Cable

brilliant :) judging purely by the comments I may even order them in order too!

X

xane

The first Eddings series (Belgariad ?) was okay, good writing a classic fantasy format, but the sequal series (Mallorean) was a bit long winded and his other series was really thrashing the dead horse a bit.

The prequel book was good tho.

T

Trebz

Wheel of Time would be superb as an epic film, but it's never gonna happen. Jordan reckons he may finish the story by about book 16 or so. There so much depth to each story and the overlapping story threads and subplots would just make for hard cinema going, not to mention the budget. By the time you got to the 10th film you'd have forgotten all the nuances and stories in the first 9, like I'm currently doing with the book :-( I'll be damned if i read through the first 9 again though.

D

doh_boy

Wot Is cool, I'm currently on number 7! :D

I figure it would be better as a series, since they're getting more expensive.

I was thinking along the lines of zena or Hercules but a bit better quality.

I was told there was going to 13, also I was told there's no rand in the next book.

As far as Eddings goes the characters are the best part of the books the story seems very unimportant. Beldin was my favourite by far.

Also I like the new book forum :clap:

E

ECA

Originally posted by doh_boy
Wot Is cool, I'm currently on number 7! :D

I figure it would be better as a series, since they're getting more expensive.

I was thinking along the lines of zena or Hercules but a bit better quality.

I was told there was going to 13, also I was told there's no rand in the next book.

As far as Eddings goes the characters are the best part of the books the story seems very unimportant. Beldin was my favourite by far.

Also I like the new book forum :clap:

I dont think live action ( real actors ) could do justice to WoT.

And in book 10, there is very little about rand, more about getting the sub plots up to speed.

the sub plots only catch up to where rand is at the end of book 9, about half way through.

D

Damini

I've been giving book ten for my birthday, but it's been so long since I read the others all the infomation has fallen out my head, and just the sheer mass of reading the old nine to catch up intimidates me :(

W

wolfeeh

hmmm

currently about half way through book ten... read all the others three times...

i think anime is definitely the way to go... preferably done by the bloke who did laputal : castles in the sky and princess mononoke.

oooh or whoever did ninja scroll :p

also;

olver - blatantly the reincarnation of gaidal cain or what?

E

ECA

the bloke who did ninja scroll also did Wicked City and Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust, so yeah, imho a perfect choice :-]

S

Sar

Ah, but who is Taim, really?

And no points for saying Demandred.

E

ECA

Taim is teh evil!!!!!!

Blatantly one of the forsaken/mad.

I want to know which Aes Sedai Graendel is, and which one of the 3 thats with elayne is black.

I also want to know how Tuon/Mat get together :-]

( book 10 is like, bigger than the last 4/5, but because theres 5 different plots going on, ends up progressing the plot not very much )

Also Shaidar Haran and thingy whose name means death, I want a little more info :-]

W

wolfeeh

erm

mazrim taim was around since the start of the books (first?) - he's STILL around... so he can't exactly be demandred can he?

D

doh_boy

Wasn't Ishmael(or however you spell it) there right at the begining?

E

ECA

Taim CANT be one of the forsaken unless he's been newly raised as he was there 20 years from the start of the first book.

I think he still thinks he's the dragon reborn or is mad or darkfriend or something :-]

W

wolfeeh

ishmael is

the frankly fucking insane forsaken who thinks he's the dark lord, and fought rand in the skies over falme...

... isn't he?

D

doh_boy

Re: ishmael is

Originally posted by wolfeeh
the frankly fucking insane forsaken who thinks he's the dark lord, and fought rand in the skies over falme...

... isn't he?

Yes, wasn't he twatting around at the begining of the first book.

L

~Lazarus~

Guys,

Just got books 1 & 2 for xmas and started reading. Finished book 1 and halfway through book 2. Superb stuff.

As for Eddings - read all of his stuff. Thought it was highly enjoyable. Any one read his "Redemption of Althalus" ?

T

theriven

Redemption of Althalus was ok.
Bit longwinded imo. possibly because he tried to write an "epic" in one book, reread it a few times and still not sure about it.

Both the prequels to The belgariad (Belgarath The Sorcerer and Polgara The Sorceress) are good though and writen in one book so that bollocks up me "epic in one book" theory .

Never read the Wheel Of Time books, might give them a go.

S

Sar

I've had Book 9 for fucking ages, and still haven't gotten around to finishing it. Saw book 10 on sale today for the first, but will probably wait until I finish 9 first, otherwise the temptation to skip ahead will be too great :)

W

wolfeeh

Ooook

I've just finished crossroads of twilight. is it me or is the ending like totally anti-climactic :| got to wait another bloody year+ now for the next book... 680 pages is way too small. i could write that in ~3 months inc. making the story up as i go along.

A

adams901

Wheel Of Time is probally my all time favourite, so much so that I am the proud owner of a Limited 1st edition of The Great Hunt (different artwork, the blue background on front cover and trollocks on the inside cover).

My only 2 minor complaints are

1) It takes so long betwen books that I forget what has happened and find myself reading all the books again before I can read the new one (I know this is unavoidable).

2) I think RJ sometimes goes into to much detail concerning the surroundings, so much so that I half expect him to tell you how many blades of grass there are.

What I would love to see is an RTS or RP based game, imagine the prospects, you could have asha'man appearing on the battlefield through gateways, you could have The Ways for shortcuts to certain areas, Myrddraal and trollocks roaming the countryside, the options are unlimited.

Users who are viewing this thread