Whats wrong with Vietcong?...(not a whine)

R

Rigon-Noir-

Just some things i got to thinking about over the last few days.

I love Vietcong, no other online team based FPS is as intense or atmospheric (not taking into account Planetside which i find intense but a different experience). I find the control system, when set up to my preferences to be perfect, it's fast paced and through the Audigy 2 and 5.1 dts system i have, when EAX is turned on its sounds amazing. I can't be the only player to think like this so why are there so few VC players?

I dawned on me the other day when i friend who play BF1942 suggested i reinstall and join him as he's the only White Rose/WRK player still playing BF. I was never a fan of BF1942 tbh, found the maps too big and sparse to give any sort of feeling your in a war, VC being exactly the opposite with it's almost claustrophobic feel (just my opinons of course).

Why then, do so many people still play BF1942 when so few have jumped to VC?

I think i have the answer...MODS......

Over the last year, certainly the last 10 months i've seen MOD after MOD appear for BF1942, be it just new maps, weapons or totally different game styles. BF1942 for me is THE new Counter Strike, with a deep and very skillfull MOD scene that has tranformed it from it's original release into something for every one (expansion packs aside of course).

This brings me to Vietcong, i don't know enough to pass too many comments but i'm guessing there are no MOD tools available, or certainly not many becuase after almost 6 month's since it's release were still on the same 7 maps (8 counting Indian Country) and the one and only official patch. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, with a small choice of maps your almost guaranteed regular players will have at least some experience with whichever map you happen to be playing. My question is, is it the lack of choice, or more so the lack of player/programmer input into Vietcong that has so far held it back from being one of, if not the best supported team FPS game you can get into.

I'll be honest, i'd like to see more maps, maybe even ones created from some of the very famous Vietnam movies that have been armound for many years like Platoon or the one i watched last night, Hamburger Hill (which made me think about this at the time).

Fist Alpha looks promising and is going to offer the online play a few extras but i'm guessing some of the MOD community are gagging to make a few changes/additions to Vietcong and maybe it's time they had a go.

Your thoughts please...

T

throdgrain

I agree with most of what you say. The controls for me are perfect too, and the whole idea of it beats BF for me.
However, as far as I can see the problem is the performance. I post on the official VC forums, and the amount of people posting there who get -20 fps is incredible.
I have a xp2600 with a GF4 4400 and 1 gig of ram, and still my fps goes from 100 to -turn 180 deg- 30 and back. Its just not acceptable for the avarage game player, who's pc may well be far below mine in spec.
My other problem is the head bob thing when walking. Its so pronounced that when allied to the bizzare fps fluctuations it actually makes me feel seasick and I have to stop playing it.
There's no cvars for adjustment of this, or indeed for anything else, nor is there likely to be, so Im just fucked :(
Its a bloody shame, to me this is the best looking, most realistic game ever, but I cant see me playing it "full time" as it were, theres just too many problems .

D

djpringle

A VC single player campaign would be nice.

Can't say I've noticed the head bob being too bad but then every game I generally play seems to have it, could be used to it I suppose. Agree with you 100% though about the lack of tweakability and the wild fps swings though.

S

Slug

Originally posted by throdgrain
My other problem is the head bob thing when walking. Its so pronounced that when allied to the bizzare fps fluctuations it actually makes me feel seasick and I have to stop playing it.

Really? I havn't really noticed. I agree with you. There definitely needs to be more attension paid to the Modders and perhaps some extra maps added in patches?.

T

throdgrain

In fairness that may well be me. SoF2 did it too, but at least with that you can turn it off via bobroll etc :(

Users who are viewing this thread