What's wrong with the skald class?

O

osy

In beta, I played 3 zerks, one more gimped than the other.

Then, by the end of beta, I saw a friend playing a skald.

"Oh, my, god... I get to bash things with axe just like zerkers do ? and I have speed ? and dds ? and rest song ?"

That is why, when the game went live, I rolled a skald.

.... After 1.1 years played with that Skald....

Somewhere on the road I noticed I can't kill yellow mobs with my 1h axe and shield. Something needed to be done, since my zerk used to own oranges.

Next step ? using a 2 handed weapon. So I did.

mid 30s brought RvR. Frequent deaths from purple mobs in the frontiers. Path finding skill 0. I don't regret it, now I know any frontier by heart.

Killing even/orange/red cons in rvr, and getting away with it, because of speed. Brilliant.

Gorge terrorising. Daily routine.

early 40s. Discovered I had to reach lvl 43 in order to get best speed song. Being outrun by ppl was not my thing.

mid 40s. reaching rr4 by lvl 43, started hunting in sauvage. Hit and run.

lvl 50, after 78 days /played. rr5 and happy with my class.

S

sjaakievos

Eynar could hit me for 500+ tho with his hamma , and i had 21 crush res. at that moment , so got owned bigtime .. they really aren't that bad

O

old.Kladen

give skalds a new chant.

worked for paladins

E

eynar

Originally posted by sjaakievos
Eynar could hit me for 500+ tho with his hamma , and i had 21 crush res. at that moment , so got owned bigtime .. they really aren't that bad

Remind you of the fact that I only swing once every 5 seconds though...

O

old.Emma

skalds can hit people. the problems start when they get hit back. they have 0 defense at all.

cant really call evade 1 and 10+ points in parry defense. considering evade 1 = 5% chance to evade. and there parry spec is useless as it is STILL bugged in RvR.

ofcourse that still doesnt fix the fact there only frontload dmg comes from there dd`s which are resisted 60% of the time and if they do hit there`s more negative than positive dmg :/ ie 90(-130)

what skalds and minstrel need is there dd`s moved to a different resist or better yet make them generic ie no specific dmg type.

and ofcourse an extra .2 spec points per lvl for skalds so they can atleast get a reasonable ammount of defense for PvE and RvR (if mythic fixed that damn block/parry bug)

E

eynar

Originally posted by old.Emma
skalds can hit people. the problems start when they get hit back. they have 0 defense at all.

cant really call evade 1 and 10+ points in parry defense. considering evade 1 = 5% chance to evade. and there parry spec is useless as it is STILL bugged in RvR.

ofcourse that still doesnt fix the fact there only frontload dmg comes from there dd`s which are resisted 60% of the time and if they do hit there`s more negative than positive dmg :/ ie 90(-130)

what skalds and minstrel need is there dd`s moved to a different resist or better yet make them generic ie no specific dmg type.

and ofcourse an extra .2 spec points per lvl for skalds so they can atleast get a reasonable ammount of defense for PvE and RvR (if mythic fixed that damn block/parry bug)

Aye, totally agree here...one of our DD's is a lvl 34 spell, it gets resisted over 50% in RvR. And all spells are body damage, the most common type in-game. Hehe, and I don't even have 10 parry...or maybe with realm ranks I just do (a dazzling 5 + 5)

H

horsma

Originally posted by Urme the Legend
I got a lvl 23 skald.. played in BG and I loved it. Dunno if it changes at higher levels.. but he ruled in BG anyway ;)

well, bg skalds are like they used to be untill 1.50. We where mids best melee char but those days are gone now. Im now Stormur Herra and i dont whine- i can kill every class in this game but but then again i know my char :p
What comes to low rr skalds, they are mainly speed bots and even healers are more common in emain now than skalds.

O

osy

My spec is 44 bs, 46 weapon and 18 parry.... 18+7. Got Mastery of Parry to lvl 2.

40% of the hits are parried, while i still have a reasonable amount of damage.

give us a self chant, that gives a fumble chance on the attacker...

H

Hulbur

Before I say anything else, I will note that I have played skald since beta. For the longest while it was the only thing I played. I have RvR with him a bit (RR5+) and know how to play my class pretty well. Some Skalds on excal are clearly better then me, no doubt, but I am not a total beginner in my field.

The original post had some credit to it. We do lack something. I can't put my finger on it, but something is missing. Besides the know issues of speed dropping, damage add range and so on, something deserves to be done to our class.

Im not saying that other classes dosnt need attention, Im pretty sure they do, but thats not the point. This is a Skald thread and lets keep the focus on that.

In high level RvR/endgame. We used to be pretty decent duelers, due to our mezz and DD's and good/high melee damage. Our defence, as someone already noted, is almost non-excistant, so we won our one-on-ones by doing lots of front loaded damage, mezzed and repeated.
This is no longer possible due to resists and purge. I no longer count on my mezz hitting home, its more of a vain hope. So we are stuck in any fight with our low defence and mostly slow swing speeds where every blow the opponent throws at us will hit home. So its very true that our overall fighting abillities in single combat has been reduced dramaticly since launch and even though most RvR is grouped based, you do occasionally find yourself in a situation where this is sorely felt. Mincers are the bane of me now, where 6-8 months ago the opposite was true.

Grouped Combat. The main focus of the game in my oppinion, is where you have to really compare the classes.

In groups we have the speed, the only speed in Midgard, which has the effect that a skald is never in need of a group for long.
Unless of course there are enough skalds to go round, and some get left out. This is true for ALL classes. Don't think that every single class havn't experienced this at least once - even healers.

So what else do we bring to the group - some might say not much and they are ½ correct. We dont bring damage in prolonged encounters that a true melee char couldnt outdo. I think this is the major concern, since we consider ourselves more a melee char then a support char (I know I do).
We do however have some tricks up our sleves that can save the day from time to time. Our snare is not just for catching people, but can be used to save that healer with a Hero on her ass. A DD saved for the right moment will interrupt that caster/bard doing the AE to end your group. And when mezz actually works its kinda neat :D

So why isn't it fun anymore? Or as fun as it used to be anyways. Dieing quickly is a bummer. We simply dont belong in the middle of combat with our low defence and hit points, but we need to be there to use all our abilities. Suggestion : Up our defence or hitpoint - give us the 100 or so more hps that the Paladins got. It would be a step in the right direction anyway.

If you wanted to go the other way around and make us more a support class then a melee class, give us End regen of some form, maybe an ablative chant i dont know. Something that would make us hang back with the healers and casters and still make us feel usefull to the overall performance of the group.

I would love to see a mezz higher in BS with longer duration and less of a chance to resist. I would love to see snare being shorter duration, but unbreakeble like the assasin snare. I would LOVE to see our shout timers reduced to 15s like the minstrel or our Weaponskill increased with 6-10% like the warrior an hunter got. Lots of things could happen for the skald class that would make it more fun, without people yelling out NERF everyday.

Ohh and Arnor, posting this here does have the effect that people actually read and think about it. Posting this on IGN will just make it vanish in the NERF WHATEVER spam that goes on there (And i have a feeling Sanya reads these boards when she gets tired of her own player base - move to euro servers Sanya we are more mature *cough*)

Now there :whip:

M

Meatballs

Originally posted by Hulbur
If you wanted to go the other way around and make us more a support class then a melee class, give us End regen of some form, maybe an ablative chant i dont know. Something that would make us hang back with the healers and casters and still make us feel usefull to the overall performance of the group.

Gifv skalds ablative or endurance but make them bang a drum for it :clap:

E

eynar

Originally posted by Meatballs
Gifv skalds ablative or endurance but make them bang a drum for it :clap:

Out of the question, imagine the look of a troll banging on a drum...

D

deffy

Originally posted by old.Osy

"Oh, my, god... I get to bash things with axe just like zerkers do ? and I have speed ? and dds ? and rest song ?"

Thats why ;)

D

Danya

Originally posted by eynar
Aye, totally agree here...one of our DD's is a lvl 34 spell, it gets resisted over 50% in RvR. And all spells are body damage, the most common type in-game. Hehe, and I don't even have 10 parry...or maybe with realm ranks I just do (a dazzling 5 + 5)
I remember targetting a blue con elf. Fired both DDs... Elf resists the effect! Elf resists the effect! Whoo! They need to change spell resists to be based on either spec or character level, or give minstrels and skalds a higher level DD, having the lower one at 34/35 is silly.

BTW on the drum thing, I actually quite like it. Drum gives a 10s speed pulse after you stop playing speed, skalds get like 2 seconds. :)

D

deffy

Originally posted by Danyan
I remember targetting a blue con elf. Fired both DDs... Elf resists the effect! Elf resists the effect! Whoo! They need to change spell resists to be based on either spec or character level, or give minstrels and skalds a higher level DD, having the lower one at 34/35 is silly.

Spell resists have no effect on wether the spell is resisted or not, simply the dmg taken/length of spell and yes having the lower one at 34 is silly for this very reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom