Whats the most popular online FPS

Z

zedmeet

Been playing games like EQ and DAOC for last few years but interested in playing a decent FPS again.

What deathmatch/ctf style game is the most popular at the moment.

You know the score, looking to be able to log on and find servers full of UK players at most times of the day.

W

Wilier

Without a doubt, like it or not, Counter-Strike is the most popular on-line fps in the world.

As far as deathmatch/CTF types go, I suspect TFC or UT/UT2003 prolly.

O

old.D0LLySh33p

Counterstrike... but it's pretty full of lame 'I speak in 1337' kiddies these days.

L

~Lazarus~

Originally posted by old.D0LLySh33p
Counterstrike... but it's pretty full of lame 'I speak in 1337' kiddies these days.

|\|0 17 15|\|7

:eek:

M

Maljonic

not if you play on the Spassebud dolly, you wont be able to understand a fucking thing they're saying;)

Counter-Strike then Team Fortress Classic, everything begins to pale after that...

W

|WarpiG|

or if you fancy something requiring a bit more skill then give Natural Selection a try:
http://www.natural-selection.org/

Its a mod for Half life, just like CS and TFC, but it looks and plays much better than both ;) you can also have a decent game on public servers (note: some games can last for 2 hours or more!!)

V1.04 is on all the servers and v1.1 should be released soon (ish). Give it a try :)

T

throdgrain

Apparently there are twice as many cs players as all the BF1942 , SoF2 ,DoD and Quake players combined.
One of the reasons for this is because it is, Im almost afraid to say, still the best game . (eek)
You get some l33t kiddies , but you theres a Lot Of People playing, so theres a percentage of everything.
Failing that Id reccomend BF1942 myself, though theres a fair share of lamers on that game as well. See point above.
I dunno where Dolly gets his info re cs from btw, afaik he hasnt played online in months ...

M

Maljonic

Day of Defeat is quite good but it takes a bit longer to get into and it's a lot harder to get a good score; which means there are less frag whore kiddies, but there are also less players in general.

T

throdgrain

DoD is a much easier to get a high score than cs :confused:

M

Maljonic

Originally posted by throdgrain
DoD is a much easier to get a high score than cs :confused:
well I find it easier to get kills on CS, maybe I'm just not very good at DoD; for instance, it's quite difficult to see the enemy on a lot of Dod maps.

G

Gumbo

DoD, like BF1942, is about flags not frags, that is how I get good scores on those games, but suck sooooo hard on CS.

D

Delboy

HL/ counterstrike games are the most popular, but aint necessarily the best, just depends who you speak to.

They're easily accessible, so dont take a lot of investment to get started.

Games like Quake2/3 are different, you'll get your ass handed to you. Learning curve is much much longer.

O

old.D0LLySh33p

I dunno where Dolly gets his info re cs from btw, afaik he hasnt played online in months ...

I'm psychic :)

Nah, I go to a LAN cafe in Canterbury every two weeks or so and I'm still very surprised at the amount of "N00b! LAMER! CAMPER!" or "I worship PRO gaming" or "I know so and so" etc on servers.

I prolly time it though to catch all the children after they finish school :(

Doh :(

Oh well. Getting broadband at home finally come June so I'll be lurking more often then.

M

Maljonic

Originally posted by Delboy
HL/ counterstrike games are the most popular, but aint necessarily the best, just depends who you speak to.

They're easily accessible, so dont take a lot of investment to get started.

Games like Quake2/3 are different, you'll get your ass handed to you. Learning curve is much much longer.
always thought Q2/3 was more of a kids game tbh:)

S

Scooba Da Bass

Nah, I'm semi good at CS and I've played it maybe 10 times in total, whereas when I try q3 I get held down and molested senselessly. For some reason the HL engine is incredibly easy to play on, plus it runs on virtually every computer in the world, which is a big bonus.

However, BF42 is clearly the best game, followed by DOD.

T

throdgrain

I'm psychic :)

Nah, I go to a LAN cafe in Canterbury every two weeks or so and I'm still very surprised at the amount of "N00b! LAMER! CAMPER!" or "I worship PRO gaming" or "I know so and so" etc on servers.

I prolly time it though to catch all the children after they finish school :(

Doh :(

Oh well. Getting broadband at home finally come June so I'll be lurking more often then.

Glad to hear it mate :D

Imcidentally I saw a bloke calling everyone n00bs and "omg u killed me team" etc on Monte Cassino map on RtR last night, theres going to be a proportion of kids like that every where. There may seem more on CS, but then theres more people on cs...

Maljonic, my best score on CS, like, ever, is about 35. My best on DoD is about 200. Go figure :)

M

Maljonic

Glad to hear it mate :D

Imcidentally I saw a bloke calling everyone n00bs and "omg u killed me team" etc on Monte Cassino map on RtR last night, theres going to be a proportion of kids like that every where. There may seem more on CS, but then theres more people on cs...

Maljonic, my best score on CS, like, ever, is about 35. My best on DoD is about 200. Go figure :)
flags!

L

~Lazarus~

Maljonic, my best score on CS, like, ever, is about 35.

You're being very generous with your "estimate" throbby :p :)

T

throdgrain

Funny you should say that btw Scooba, I found the transition from Quake 2 to CS almost impossible at first. I had a really hard time not aiming in front of the target but right at it, and also that in cs a bullet hit stops the enemy, so you have to aim your bullets to go all in the same place, rather than in Quake games where you have to not only aim in front, but also follow the target spraying him with bullets, as he runs along seemingly oblivious.
Also in CS you have to control the gun, more than 5 bullets fired consecutively from an AK results in (usually) a total miss, whereas on RtCW for example , I found I could fire a whole clip from tommy gun at a target half a mile away, and every bullet go where it was aimed. It was then that I gave the game up :)

T

throdgrain

Originally posted by ~Lazarus~
You're being very generous with your "estimate" throbby :p :)

Much easier when you're on the server of course matey ;)

T

throdgrain

The retail version of DoD looks great in May btw :)
I just been reading the thing on Gayspy, apparently theres 9 new maps among other things. That will be good, as even I have to admit the current maps have been around for a long time :/
The British skins on there will be a nice change too, I wont have to download a new skin pack every time a patch comes out any more :)

O

old.D0LLySh33p

I think you'll find it's 10 new maps?

:)

O

old.tRoG

Q3 R TeH DaDDeH!

But CS still has more players.

M

mank!

Quake2/3 is the daddy. Obviously.

Q2's dead now though, Q3's popular enough though. Especially threewave :}

Z

zedmeet

Thanks for the replies guys and gals, most appreciated.

I will be giving a few of those a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom