What's the best pop-up preventor?

S

Summo

I've just finished the evaluation period on Pop-Up Stopper Pro, and although previous versions did the job, this new one seems like a step backwards with reduced functionality and it simply doesn't prevent all pop-ups.

So, ignoring Pop-Up Stopper Pro, which one would you lot recommend?

Thanks.

P

PR.

Pfft, the answers have been posted before! :eek:

http://www.proxomitron.org/ <- the website seems to be conveniently down atm, 4.4 is the latest version

Will kill ads and popups, it works with any browser that allows proxy settings

T

TheJkWhoSaysNi

www.adshield.org Really cool because you can block banner ads too. Although its not free anymore, ICQ me on 122821095 and i'll send you the old free version :)

S

Summo

Banner ads I'm okay with. I rather look at them that see a white rectangle with 'PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED' in it.

I'll give that Proxomitron a go. I seem to remember downloading it once but having problems with it.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. :)

J

Jonty

I believe Zone Alarm Pro (now at v4) blocks popups, ad banners, as well as doing all the other fancy things it does associated with protecting your computer. If you look hard enough you may be able to download the last stable beta, which is free as its for testers. That said, now the final product is out you may be forced to purchase it, although I'm not sure (it's not too expensive, even if you were forced to).

Kind Regards

X

xane

The banner/popup stopper in Norton Internet Security works for me, good price too, considering you get AV, anti-spam and Firewall together.

N

nath

lolz j00 n00bs admuncher is teh way best leetor madskillz popup/banner hax0r. :/

S

Sibanac

Originally posted by old.tRoG
Mozilla. It is God's browser.

aye, why run 1 app to block popups, 1 app to block banners and one app to take care of cookies if your browser can do it ;)
You do have to put it on modern theme otherwise it looks crap ;)

J

Jonty

Very off topic, I know, but does anyone know of a Luna skin for Mozilla 1.4? I'm currently using Firebird which has an brilliant Luna Blue theme, yet thus far I'm unable to find anything like it for Mozilla 1.4. Sugestions on a postcard, please (or if ou really want, you can just reply to this thread) :)

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. Yes, I know it's somewhat ironic to want an IE skin, but after years of browsing with IE, it's just what I feel comfortable with :)

S

Sar

I recently started using Firebird 0.6 - fucking yum or what?

Works a treat.

J

Jonty

Thanks Sibanac. I was really after a Luna theme to fit in with XP, but I really appreciate you taking the time to find that link anyway :)

As for Firebird, Sar, yes it does indeed rock! hehe. That said, it's still really quite buggy in parts; and there's even an uncommented developer's message in one of the option boxes, lol. That said, whilst I wouldn't recommend it just yet, it is shaping up nicely (and it's only at v0.6, so what can you expect? :D).

Kind Regards

S

Sar

Originally posted by Jonty
As for Firebird, Sar, yes it does indeed rock! hehe. That said, it's still really quite buggy in parts; and there's even an uncommented developer's message in one of the option boxes, lol. That said, whilst I wouldn't recommend it just yet, it is shaping up nicely (and it's only at v0.6, so what can you expect? :D).

Kind Regards

Lol, I noticed that as well! :D

Seems to be coming along well, here's hoping both it and Opera continue to improve, because IE seems to have stagnated terribly.

J

Jonty

Originally posted by Sar
Seems to be coming along well, here's hoping both it and Opera continue to improve, because IE seems to have stagnated terribly.
Very true :( It now seems IE is locked down in terms of features, and will no longer be made available as a standalone product. Users will have to upgrade to Longhorn in 2005 to experience the new incarnation of Internet Explorer.

As for Firebird and Opera, I hope they continue to prosper too. v0.7 of Firebird should hopefully be out soon enough, and Mozilla 1.5 brings with it huge changes as it merges with the Firebird code (apparently the two will still exist as separate products, though). As for Opera, I have a friend who tests their products and assures me that v7.2 should be out soon with some nice improvements, making way for v8 later this year/early next year.

Kind Regards

S

Sibanac

I am actualy plesantly surprised at the amount of people using mozilla/firebird.

ok i'll admit it tends to be more the techies amongst us that use it, but still, we are the guys helping other ppl install and use thier computers

J

Jonty

Very true, Sibanac :) If you can sit somebody down and explain the basic benefits of alternative browsers, then even if they don't care about improved standards support and such, at least they'll be able to see the benefits of using another browser, if only for popup blocking and other features.

Don't get me wrong, I like Internet Explorer, but I personally switched following the above news of it's untimely death. Sadly with a 85-95% market-share, and a new seven year contract with AOL, it seems IE isn't going anywhere fast :(

Kind Regards

Users who are viewing this thread