whats the best firewall?

O

old.mumbojumbo

wotcha,

anyone worked out the best firewall solution for multiplayer?.

Obviously there's the cheaper software solutions, but how much will this impact CPU performance.

we have a Soho watchguard box at work, which is okay but a tad expensive for home use. I'm considering using an old PC with Linux, anyone else use an external hardware solution?

bom.

O

old.GateKeeper

I run an Open BSD box (an old 486) and it comes with ipfilter which is very easy to set up.

You will need 2 NICs though.

What con U got??

GAteKeeper

O

old.mumbojumbo

What con U got??

i'm deciding at the moment, i think i might go with Eclipse as they have no waiting list, its a 512 with 50:1. Sadly no cable in my area, can you believe it!? i'm in south london and no cable.

At work we went with EasyNet a few months back, a 2 Mb with 20:1, which is fine but it took about 3 months from the application date, also the firewall came incorrectly configured and with the wrong cables, nice.

bom.

O

old.mumbojumbo

same here, but mine runs linux :D

so if i get RedHat 7.1, do i need anything else? i'm pretty sure it contains all the routing capability in the box - right? I'm an NT admin, so Linux or at least Unix is a dim beer stained student memory...(what?! i have to type stuff at a...a..a command prompt?..?!..bloody hell...)

bom.

L

luap

Best FW is Blackice. Unlike ZoneAlarm you don't have to authorise every outgoing connection.

O

old.mumbojumbo

Best FW is Blackice. Unlike ZoneAlarm you don't have to authorise every outgoing connection.

Hmmm, i'll check the website. But what i'm wondering is if i use it on the game box then doesn't it hog too much CPUage?

What kind of spec machine have you put this on?

bom.

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by mumbojumbo
same here, but mine runs linux :D

so if i get RedHat 7.1, do i need anything else? i'm pretty sure it contains all the routing capability in the box - right? I'm an NT admin, so Linux or at least Unix is a dim beer stained student memory...(what?! i have to type stuff at a...a..a command prompt?..?!..bloody hell...)

yes.
actually it doesn't really matter what flavor you get.
also, there are *shudders* GUI based firewall configuration scripts. tho I don't really understand why your router/gateway/firewall would need a GUI.

Look here for some tips :) [heh first column p|mp ever there folks :D] Being an admin yourself, it should be relativly easy to follow.

Good Luck!

L

luap

Originally posted by mumbojumbo

Hmmm, i'll check the website. But what i'm wondering is if i use it on the game box then doesn't it hog too much CPUage?

What kind of spec machine have you put this on?

bom.

I've got a bit of a fast PC but blackice only uses 3meg and very low CPU

C

Ch3tan

I use zone alarm fine, takes two minutes to set up permissions then u just leave it running, oh and its free.

O

old.RookieWan

I found setting up a Linux box for ADSL in Holland to be fairly easy. I've got Suse 7 running on my Linux router/ firewall and after installing the pptp protocol (the Dutch ph0ne company uses pptp instead of PPoE) plus a few files from a site dedicated to Adsl and Linux (in Dutch as the pptp stuff seems to be Dutch only) + a firewall script and it works fine :)

Very steady connection :) Ideal for gaming...

G

Originally posted by Luap-ffs

You can turn that feature off in ZA

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom