TV What's really in the food we eat

megadave

I am a FH squatter
That program was, like food packaging, deceptively uninformative ;)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Do you really want to know ?

Like, when you go to a restaurant, do you really want to know what goes on in the kitchens ?

Fresh vegetables ?! Really ?!

Like the waiter's going to tell you he sneezed in your soup on the way

Or the bloke wheeling your curry out just took his finger out of your chicken madras, five minutes ago he was in the restaurant toilet with his hand up his butt.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
no I flipping well don't! that's one way to turn me (me of all people, she who lives to eat) in to an annorexic tbh, programmes showing where they abuse animals and the living conditions are good because then hopefully the people (*cough* bernard matthews*) will buck their ideas up and since watching a show about it years ago haven't touched a KFC (though I do miss that crispy coating Mmm Mmm) and generally buy only free range meat.

As for hygene issues well... eating anything that comes out of my kitchen I am amazed I survived as long as I have so tbh no where else can shock me, but I don't want to see it or know about it lol.

Ignorance truely is bliss.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Little bacteria "never" harmed anyone, builds up your immune Lamp! :clap:

I know very well what goes into my food, what goes into making it, and i still eat it with glee in my eyes. If they kill a cow, i might as well get some use out of the senseless slaughter. Well, cows are meat animals so...not senseless.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
The program was complete shite. Maybe Im coming at it from a different angle though, as I studied food law a couple of years ago.

There is nothing deceptive about packaging. The front is logos and colours to get you looking. It maybe called "Succulent chicken pie with bacon" on the front, but then by law it also has a descriptive name on the back. Something like "mechanical removed chicken and pork fat in a lard pastry", what is deceptive about that?

The ingredients also tell you the % by weight of the amount of chicken or what ever is the main thing which makes the product identifiable. So the above pie will list the % of chicken and pork fat.

I failed to see through the whole thing how any of the packaging was misleading. and the guy at the end was probably right. I reckon we probably do have the most informative and descriptive food packing in the world. There is loads of things he failed to mention, particularly he never once talked about the descriptive name on the packaging, the ingredient declarations, and the fact that you cannot used specified names for food unless they have a certain amount of an ingredient in.

Anyone else agree that packaging is deceptive, taking in to consideration it tells you exactly what the product is called, whats in it, and how much of it?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
The front of packaging is designed to be as attractive as possible and by doing this they some times skirt close to being deceptive and if you read it quickly you can come to assumptions that are not applied to the item.

On the back is all the nitty gritty detail that you have to read in order to see through the bullshit of the marketing men.

But it is deceptive that they say this product is British but in fact it was only constructed in Britain the actual ingredients are from all over the world. This i think is deceptive.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
a recent programme i watched was telling you about sausages and how little meat is actually in them, something like 30%! didnt stop me eating sausages mind

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Do you really want to know ?

Like, when you go to a restaurant, do you really want to know what goes on in the kitchens ?

Fresh vegetables ?! Really ?!

Like the waiter's going to tell you he sneezed in your soup on the way

Or the bloke wheeling your curry out just took his finger out of your chicken madras, five minutes ago he was in the restaurant toilet with his hand up his butt.

I worked in a resturant kitchen for a couple of years, and it was a pretty shit one at that (hungry horse, steak and chips for 6 quid), but all our produce was fresh and clean. It might not have been the best quality cuts of meat etc, but there was no issue what it came to freshness. All veg prepped in the morning straight off the truck and was thrown out at the end of the day if any was left.

tris-

a recent programme i watched was telling you about sausages and how little meat is actually in them, something like 30%! didnt stop me eating sausages mind

But you can find this out reading the declarations in the ingredients list. Why the fuck does that need its own programme?

But it is deceptive that they say this product is British but in fact it was only constructed in Britain the actual ingredients are from all over the world. This i think is deceptive.

This is only the 'problem' I can see, but then do you even care? If it is safe, edible, tastes nice, meets your price range, do you care if the chicken is form Germany but prepared in england?

On the back is all the nitty gritty detail that you have to read in order to see through the bullshit of the marketing men.

Thats the whole point then. Everything you need to know about a food item is on the package :)

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!

If it's a pork sausage, it's got to have a minimum of 42% any other kind of meat can be as low as 30%.

Ramsay did a mint episode on hells kitchen where he went to a butchers making top cut sausages and regular suasages, the amount of ligaments, and tendons thrown into the regular sausages was fucking gross.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
what always irks me is when the numbers on the back don't add up to 100%.

"this lungs 'n' eyes pastry is made up of 50% lungs, 35% eyes and 10% pastry". erm. wtf? :/

tris-

The % doesnt have to add up to 100. a declaration is given on particular ingredients which set the product apart from another. so in your example 95% of the weight of the product is that guff, and the other 5% is what ever the thing is made with. presaratives, water etc.

AFAIK it is the same throughout europe.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
If it's a pork sausage, it's got to have a minimum of 42% any other kind of meat can be as low as 30%.

Ramsay did a mint episode on hells kitchen where he went to a butchers making top cut sausages and regular suasages, the amount of ligaments, and tendons thrown into the regular sausages was fucking gross.

I think that may be where i watched it actually

tris-

What dont you like about it? :)

The main ingredients that differentiate it from another products havea % by weight. So if your lung pie is 95% lung, you know the ingredients like gravy, MSG, additives etc make up the other 5%. This allows you to compare it against another companies lung pie who might be nly 80% lung.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
because I automatically think that the remaining 5% is kitten toes or something :/

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
The one that bothered me was the doubling a chicken breasts weight by injecting it with water and protien powder, hell some were injected with pork or beef protien which is pretty fucked up.

tris-

Theyve been doing that for god knows how long, but at least they tell you on the packet :D

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Theyve been doing that for god knows how long, but at least they tell you on the packet :D

Not the chicken injected with beef/pork protien powder bit they don't! How many Hindu's, Muslim's and Jew's have eaten chicken injected with that shit?

tris-

Ive seen on ingredient lists beef protein etc.

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
Pretty random story but I hate buying veg and shit from Asda/Tesco. Bought a 3 pack of standard peppers from Asda, was making dinner cut and chopped up two of them, np, all looked fresh etc. Took the third and cut it in half and inside it it was covered in mould and this weird furr shit. Freaked me the fuck out considering they looked soo fresh on the outside. It just shows you the affect the preservatives have on fruit/veg to make them look clean for current consumer tastes

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Fruit & Veg from Tesco is awful quality.

Aye, often much cheaper at Aldi and Lidl but alot cheaper. Tesco need to get thier shit together, with £2 billion plus in profits every year they have no excuse for crap produce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom