Question Whats killing the Songbirds?

Nate

FH is my second home
You can get feeding products that increase growth. Livestock is regularly fed these types of products.

The problem with organic is producing it costs double the price of non-organic(the feed costs double).

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What is never figured into the Organic farms is the increased fuel used and the environmental impact of that.

They do most things by hand. They've just started rearing geese so most of their weeding will be done automatically for 'em :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Friend of mine runs an organic farm. Their food's lovely and they don't kill nature into the bargain.

Modern farming methods are the problem. Insecticides-o-rama and no shrubberies!!

I thought the organic rules in this country still allowed the use of pesticides...

rynnor

Rockhound
I thought the organic rules in this country still allowed the use of pesticides...

Indeed - its mostly a sham in the UK - god knows what they'd call real organic produce.

Jail Bait

Fledgling Freddie
They do most things by hand. They've just started rearing geese so most of their weeding will be done automatically for 'em :)
Sorry but they are HOBBY farming and not living off of the farm.

There is a huge difference

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

May do. But they don't. Yup, they lose some crop but fuck me I've never tasted better stuff :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Sorry but they are HOBBY farming and not living off of the farm.

There is a huge difference

They're living off the farm 100%. I wouldn't call them "rich" (like every other european farmer I've met who love their subsidies) but they're a long way from poor.

They sell to the local area (a wide local area) and it gives them a very good income for their family of 8 with plenty of surplus.

They've put all their kids through university (and they're all trust-funded up the ass), live in a nice gaff, have the best food available. Some would call it paradise.

I would too if it was near the seaside. :)

Jail Bait

Fledgling Freddie
They're living off the farm 100%. I wouldn't call them "rich" (like every other european farmer I've met who love their subsidies) but they're a long way from poor.

They sell to the local area (a wide local area) and it gives them a very good income for their family of 8 with plenty of surplus.

They've put all their kids through university (and they're all trust-funded up the ass), live in a nice gaff, have the best food available. Some would call it paradise.

I would too if it was near the seaside. :)

Wow they must work very hard then.

I use a tractor for everything.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Back on the topic, but is there actually any evidence that songbirds have declined and it is something to worry about ? Every animal has a natural variation in numbers and these can be quite severe. When I had a flat back in the early 1990s it backed onto fields and there was loads of wildlife, I remember the roofs down the street literally covered in blackbirds, sparrows and starlings, nowadays I rarely see any of those.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Wow they must work very hard then.

Yup. They do a lot of by-hand weeding but the end result is they all look like they've been down to the gym for five hours a day. Not muscle bulk, but that kind of Bruce-Lee wirey strength thang...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Back on the topic, but is there actually any evidence that songbirds have declined and it is something to worry about ?

sds-chart-1.jpg

Bird populations are a good indicator of health of the general biodiversity as birds are at the top of the food chain - so if there's disruption lower down then birds suffer.

Declining bird populations are indicative of wider problems.

Don't take the "all" line in the above graph out of context - Defra (the organisation from whom the graph was sourced) have concerns about declining populations.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Other than predators like magpies and the biggest one of all - bloody cats - thew main reason for the decline in songbirds is the decline in habitat.

And thats not just farmers, thats sucessive governments bulldozing over the south east of England to build houses for a population that is NOT naturally expanding, only by mass immegration.

For what its worth though, my garden sounds like a bird singing contest this afternoon. First time I've seen more than 10 starlings on my grass in a few years, and there's sparrows and tits everywhere too. Overhead woodpigeons are flying over, safe in the knowledge that I can't shoot em in my back garden :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Lets see.
The top ten world's most venomous snakes.....................................check
The top two world's most venomous spiders....................................check
The world's largest and most dangerous crocodile............................check
The world's most venomous and aggressive ants..............................check
Mosquitos the size of small helicopters...........................................check
About 30 different fish that will kill you...........................................check
The world's most deadly jellyfish....................................................check
The World's most venomous octopus..............................................check
Monotremes (Platypus) with poisonous spines..................................check
Kangaroos and big arsed birds that will disembowel you with one kick...check
Cute cuddly looking koalas that will rip you to shreds........................check
What's not to love?

yus, and I've been there and survived, without having so much as a gun or a large car to save me :)

still, I would dearly have loved to drive one of the Holden V8's for a day or so, just for the fun factor. you know, slung so low it would have to drive around a mouse turd for fear of scraping the front spoiler, yet still equipped with a roo-spotter on the roof :D

Jail Bait

Fledgling Freddie
Other than predators like magpies and the biggest one of all - bloody cats - thew main reason for the decline in songbirds is the decline in habitat.

And thats not just farmers, thats sucessive governments bulldozing over the south east of England to build houses for a population that is NOT naturally expanding, only by mass immegration.

For what its worth though, my garden sounds like a bird singing contest this afternoon. First time I've seen more than 10 starlings on my grass in a few years, and there's sparrows and tits everywhere too. Overhead woodpigeons are flying over, safe in the knowledge that I can't shoot em in my back garden :)
QFT

I do agree

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom