Question Whats killing the Songbirds?

rynnor

Rockhound
A fairly non-controvertsial question you would think yet theres been a lot of arguement over it.

Theres been a recent campaign to blame magpies/sparrowhawks and other birds of prey but this has been linked to the shooting mob who have their own agendas :p

I tend to think modern farming with bigger fields and the removal of much of our hedges is behind it and monoculture is a big factor.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You're bang on with the removal of hedgerows and modern farming. We've known for years that habitat removal is the single biggest factor in the decline of birds.

Remember when you couldn't move for sparrows? :(

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
nope its all the damn cats that ppl get as a lazy mans pet that kill all the funa in the local area

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You want the sparrows back? Get more insects flying around for them to eat, and build more homes for them.

There are a few bird nature reserves near where I am, its nice to stand near them and listen to them sing. I even recorded them once. I tried to photograph them but the sneaky little fuckers always hide.

/edit Fuck sake why does this forum software have AIDS? Why can't I link text without it fucking it up? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrington_Moss

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The simple answer is. The will come back when we stop destroying the local habitat with pesticides and nasty housing estates. No insects or wild berries, no birds.

Cats have very little affect on local habitat and don't actually catch all that many birds. My two would rather go for rabbits and mice.

rynnor

Rockhound
The thing I dont understand is the House Sparrows - they practically disappeared in a decade or so but being an urban bird you'd think they'd be doing ok?

There were millions of the buggers so I cant see it being predators - did we invent anti-sparrow nerve gas or something?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
No, there simply isn't enough food for them. Plants, seeds, insects, its all disappearing.

rynnor

Rockhound
No, there simply isn't enough food for them. Plants, seeds, insects, its all disappearing.

Yes - thats certainly a big factor - I just read the highlights of a PHD theseis on the subject.

It was clear that if the chicks werent fed a high insect diet they had a lot less chance of survival.

Causes of the lack of insect food were : removal of hedges, planting non-native species (like leylandii) that dont support many insects, paving/concreting of peoples front gardens for driveways, decking, increased use of insecticides etc. etc.

Its also true that many of their nest sites disappeared as people fixed their roofs :(

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
You're all wrong.

The answer is throdgrain.

Thread close please.

Nate

FH is my second home
Wasn't it Trem? I guess that's why he hasn't been around lately, killing them all off one by one, man v bird, mono a squawk, death go chirp chirp, Beaky Meets Beakier! One day he had it all, a lawn, a patio, grass seeds. Then they came and destroyed it all, now he lives only to kill all birds. You get the point.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
lol Waz :)

Truth is the Magpies do have a bit to so with it, although habitat is obviously an answer too.

The thing with a magpie though, it doesnt have much in the way of predators, it flies with its mates and has it's young earlier then the other birds.

I shoot them whenever I can, though that is rarely. You dont seem them as much on farms as you do in urban gardens.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Funny this should come up. I have a single-floor extension on the back of my house. I was thinking of buying a birdhouse and sticking it on the brick wall above the extension. Its well out of the way of the cat, or anyone else.

Oddly enough I also wouldn't mind keeping bees on my allotment, but the council won't allow it.

StRaNgEdAyS

Fledgling Freddie
Wasn't it Trem? I guess that's why he hasn't been around lately, killing them all off one by one, man v bird, mono a squawk, death go chirp chirp, Beaky Meets Beakier! One day he had it all, a lawn, a patio, grass seeds. Then they came and destroyed it all, now he lives only to kill all birds. You get the point.
This was my theory on it all too.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm liking our antipodean friend. If only because he wishes he had sparrows - to eat all the fucking nasty spiders in his country ;)

StRaNgEdAyS

Fledgling Freddie
The spiders here eat sparrows.
And anything else they can find.

Attachments

• Spider_Dads_hand.JPG
    Spider_Dads_hand.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Heteropoda_ZZ279_F2649.jpg
    Heteropoda_ZZ279_F2649.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 14

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Y'know. You're not selling your country there m8 :eek:

StRaNgEdAyS

Fledgling Freddie
Lets see.
The top ten world's most venomous snakes.....................................check
The top two world's most venomous spiders....................................check
The world's largest and most dangerous crocodile............................check
The world's most venomous and aggressive ants..............................check
Mosquitos the size of small helicopters...........................................check
About 30 different fish that will kill you...........................................check
The world's most deadly jellyfish....................................................check
The World's most venomous octopus..............................................check
Monotremes (Platypus) with poisonous spines..................................check
Kangaroos and big arsed birds that will disembowel you with one kick...check
Cute cuddly looking koalas that will rip you to shreds........................check
What's not to love?

StRaNgEdAyS

Fledgling Freddie
And they will piss on you as soon as you pick them up provided you still have any fingers or skin left.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Oddly enough I also wouldn't mind keeping bees on my allotment, but the council won't allow it.

get a hive to the council building and show then just how lovable the little things actually are. :)

Jail Bait

Fledgling Freddie
All you fuckers bitching about the farmers better not have a full stomach

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The top two world's most venomous spiders....................................check

Actually, the UK has the worlds most venomous spider. Fortunately it's fangs can't come anywhere near piercing human skin tho :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
All you fuckers bitching about the farmers better not have a full stomach

Friend of mine runs an organic farm. Their food's lovely and they don't kill nature into the bargain.

Modern farming methods are the problem. Insecticides-o-rama and no shrubberies!!

StRaNgEdAyS

Fledgling Freddie
Actually, the UK has the worlds most venomous spider. Fortunately it's fangs can't come anywhere near piercing human skin tho :)
Yeah, we have the Daddy Long Legs too.
They actually hunt other spiders as well as bugs.

Jail Bait

Fledgling Freddie
Friend of mine runs an organic farm. Their food's lovely and they don't kill nature into the bargain.

Modern farming methods are the problem. Insecticides-o-rama and no shrubberies!!

What is never figured into the Organic farms is the increased fuel used and the environmental impact of that.

If you want to look somewhere for a cause look at towns people and golf courses that use more pesticides, herbicides than they need just to keep their place beautiful.

Try this problem out, my uncle farms 10,000 acres. If total herbicide cost is $14 per acre but if there is 50% of the field that needs only 25% application. How much money does he save by cutting his application rate

OTOH if a townie only needs 100 ml but has opened a 1 L container what are the chances he will use it all or more than he needs since the cost is minimal

mr.Blacky

Can't get enough of FH

isn't organic farming a quarter as effecient as modern farming?
As long as people are starving in the world: long live modern farming

Jail Bait

Fledgling Freddie
isn't organic farming a quarter as effecient as modern farming?
As long as people are starving in the world: long live modern farming
There will always be starving people in the world.

The GMO argument is that there is a production gain is false (propaganda)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom