Food What will you be drinking....

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I Prefers teh Supernova :(
I'm not in to uber-peated whiskies at all tbh. I usually keep a laphroaig 10 banging around the house to make grog with for when I'm poorly :(

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Any in particular?

Honestly? If you're looking in mega-stores (ASDA etc) anything as close to this year as possible. Otherwise, no clue. I've found that anything over 2-3 years isn't as good :/ But then, I'm not a "OMG THIS WINE ISN'T EXACTLY 32.434552... YEARS OLD" type of person.

If I can't find anything for 2014, I go for 2013 - Only been disappointed by 1 bottle so far, but it was a bad batch (We opened 2-3 and they were all corked..) - But after that, they were back to the goodness I expect.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Honestly? If you're looking in mega-stores (ASDA etc) anything as close to this year as possible. Otherwise, no clue. I've found that anything over 2-3 years isn't as good :/ But then, I'm not a "OMG THIS WINE ISN'T EXACTLY 32.434552... YEARS OLD" type of person.

If I can't find anything for 2014, I go for 2013 - Only been disappointed by 1 bottle so far, but it was a bad batch (We opened 2-3 and they were all corked..) - But after that, they were back to the goodness I expect.

2014? that would be Southern hemisphere wines then yes? If your into the young and fresh stuff...."no not that kind!"
then you should try Beaujolais Nouveau some time, dosent get any fresher than that.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Atm I'm trying to get my hands on one of these bottles: Henri Bonneau Reserve des Celestins 2007
I had the oportunity to buy a couple bottles in 2010 and was a cheapskate :(

Lakih

Resident Freddy
Don't drink much anymore, but i would guess that i will down a bottle of Piccini Chianti or Ruffino Chianti.

Send me some longdrinks @old.Tohtori will ya :D Perfect for a sauna, warm summer day or as a starter before you hit the heavy liquors.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Sainsburys taste the difference Sancerre and chateau nerf du pap.
Bubbles if necessary veuve clicquot

Vodka. Mostly sainsburys own brand. Schmirnoff if it's on offer cause once you mix it you can't tell the difference. Gray goose if I'm not mixing and just on ice.

Some cans of dark fruit strong bow and lots of food to soak it up.

A ton of shit thoughts and lots of depression. Sounds like Xmas to me

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Three Vodka brands to try for the would be vodka aficionado are:

Purity Vodka (Sweden), U'luvka Vodka (Poland), Russian Standard (Russia) and for the advanced class
....Kauffman & Ultimat Vodka
2013-craft-spirits-awards-purity-vodka.png
u5cluvka-vodka-gift-box-40-10l-2888.jpg
AV063.jpg

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Are they affordable Olga?

Depends on your definition of affordable ;)

Purity is kr. 365,- U'luvka is about kr. 329,- and Rus. St. Imp. is around kr. 329-349,-

But you can also go for the entry level Rus. St. for roughly kr. 130-149,- or Tovaritch Russian Vodka kr. 150-170

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
If I could find anywhere with it in stock I'd be having a bottle of the Yamazaki Sherry Cask. Seems like it's not made anymore and what's left on Ebay has quadrupled in price. My own damn fault for drinking & enjoying that last bottle!

Olgaline

FH is my second home
If I could find anywhere with it in stock I'd be having a bottle of the Yamazaki Sherry Cask. Seems like it's not made anymore and what's left on Ebay has quadrupled in price. My own damn fault for drinking & enjoying that last bottle!

I've had it and /meh tbh....Just another one of mr. Murrays odd moments (like the Ballantines 17 yo)
Dont get me wrong, it's a good whisky for sure, but 97,5 and the title of best in the world? ... ... ... Naaaaaaah, or at least not for me ;)

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Dont get me wrong, it's a good whisky for sure, but 97,5 and the title of best in the world? ... ... ... Naaaaaaah, or at least not for me ;)

Well I got a few bottles of it a few years back with a whole lot of other Japanese bottles on a "pick lots of stuff at random and see what I like" basis. I was completely ignorant of the fact it had (or would) win all those awards. It was definitely the best of the bunch, the rest were all average at best, but I will say it was one of those whiskys that took a few attempts to appreciate. Certainly the more I drank it the more I liked it :)

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Well I got a few bottles of it a few years back with a whole lot of other Japanese bottles on a "pick lots of stuff at random and see what I like" basis. I was completely ignorant of the fact it had (or would) win all those awards. It was definitely the best of the bunch, the rest were all average at best, but I will say it was one of those whiskys that took a few attempts to appreciate. Certainly the more I drank it the more I liked it :)

Too bad you didn't save a couple then eh? the prices have soared since the release of the new "bible" :(

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Very little boozing at Christmas when you've got young kids. There's a bottle of Veuve Cliquot in the fridge for New Years and a case of Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc in a packing case somewhere (we've just moved house) and a bottle of something called Cloudy Bay Tekoko 2011 (that I have no idea whether its any good or not) and that's about it. I'll probably buy a nice red to have with Christmas Dinner (Malbec or Pinotage for preference) and that's about it. I just don't really have the opportunity to drink spirits at the moment unless I'm away on business and it would be pretty rare even then.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Yeah i will be drinking alcohol by default because I'm an alcoholic, because that is what christmas and the holidays are all about eh?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Knock the drinking on the head for xmas then m8...

Or treat it just like any other day, just a weird day where people insist you eat way too much and then reward you with gifts for eating all that :p

Santamas!

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
nothing for x-mas working 24th-26th, but new year some innis gun rum cask...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yeah i will be drinking alcohol by default because I'm an alcoholic, because that is what christmas and the holidays are all about eh?

Pretty much, that and eating some nice food. And rampant consumerism, don't forget that.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Meantime, make some nice beers..

Btw that reminds me, who was it that was all religous about "RealAle" ? :D

I am a bit. chemical lager, fosters, carlsberg and all that shit = pisswater

Getting into some American craft lagers atm though, love real ale but can't drink massive amounts of it as it disagrees with me.

Wine is my main drink atm, I don't spend a massive amount on a bottle as it really isn't necessary to do so, to get a good bottle. Mostly sauvignon blanc but also love a good chablis atm. Can't stand red wine.

I have about £100 in M&S vouchers kicking around somewhere so will probably see what they have available.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Am spending the first part of Xmas back home up in Scotland, so I expect it will feature lots of 80 Shilling, a bit of Tennent's rats piss and a few single malts. Will be in Edinburgh however, so I expect a trip to the Brewdog will be in order.

Then when I get home, I expect the usual mix of Heineken, more Brewdog and some single malt - usually a Macallan, although others are available :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom