What video card do you have in your PC to play DAOC RvR in relatively nice graphics?

echome

Fledgling Freddie
x1950pro gfx, e6600 cpu, 2x1gb dualchannel ddr2 ram and a sata2 hdd.

Running 1680x1050 on my 20" widescreen.
Works fine.

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
8800GTX, X2/4600, 4Gb memory and a 30" widescreen (+ 2x 19" Iiyama for extended desktop). ;)

Works like a charm .. mostly. (But it's just DAOC that's acting up, other games are fine)

If you don't want to cough up the cash for a 8800GTX, get a 8800GTS (640Mb) instead. Those two are currently the best cards available - not counting the 8800 GTX Ultra, which adds 10Mhz to the memory and 300 to the pricetag.

ATi's 2900XT has unfortunately turned out to be a bit of a turkey. Best to skip the 2xxx generation of ATi cards - hopefully the next generation round between nVidia and ATi will be won by ATi. (Though I'm a little worried, since ATi hasn't produced anything spectacular since the 9700Pro).

Lookdaddy

One of Freddy's beloved
BFG 8800 GTS 680mb ram here, runs DAOC perfectly with everything set on full!

Lick

Loyal Freddie
Before you upgrade, have you tried coolbits2 ? its a registry update that allows you to overclock the gpu on your nvidia card. Theres a setting that allows you to automatically detect the optimal overclocking frequencies and then test it. It works fine on my 6800gt - just google coolbits2 and DL the reg file and double click it to install. Then right click a blank area of your desktop and go properties - settings - advanced, then look at your card settings , theres a green tab on the left you might need to open and it should be there as clock frequency settings. I found it really helps for dual logging, dont know about frapsing tho - best to fraps onto a different drive than the drive thats running the game. My problem atm is that i've just gone back to an SLI setup and the computer keeps crashing - even without the coolbits2, and each of the card GPUs run hotter than when in single card mode . Another thing with SLI is that with coolbits2 you dont get the optimal frequencies option, you have to manually set the gpu and memory settings. I think theres a coolbits3 out , but i dont know if thats for later generation cards.

Septina

Part of the furniture
Offtopic I know, but looked at your sig: Is it worth to get Lotro? When I'm bored with daoc and need something else to play..

Even tho LOTRO is pve only (apart from monsterplay) it's still a really fun alternative to DAoC, especially if you play with some friends, the pve is quite similair to the WoW one, you do quests for exp but you can also grind mobs to get deeds and titles, when completing deeds you get something called a Trait which is basically an RA that you can equip to boost your character in different ways. :)
And ofc theres also instances and such things aswell, and the crafting system is quite good, you can pick up a craft and quite easily kit your own character even at the lower lvls. :)

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
Ordering a BFG 8800 GTX, as I type this now. Waited until the ATI 2900 HD came out, but just felt it wasn't just quite where I wanted to be performance wise. I liked it for its Video playback, but gaming performance was primary concern.

I could wait for new driver revisions to see if the card could get be slightly better performance . But waiting for driver improvements would be a worry.

Only problem with buying a new gfx card in the higher end was the need to buy a better power supply (Corsair Hx620W) to make sure pc had plenty of leeway on top end power requirements..

aika

Can't get enough of FH
Even tho LOTRO is pve only (apart from monsterplay) it's still a really fun alternative to DAoC, especially if you play with some friends, the pve is quite similair to the WoW one, you do quests for exp but you can also grind mobs to get deeds and titles, when completing deeds you get something called a Trait which is basically an RA that you can equip to boost your character in different ways. :)
And ofc theres also instances and such things aswell, and the crafting system is quite good, you can pick up a craft and quite easily kit your own character even at the lower lvls. :)

Oh sounds cool, I really enjoyed reading the books and read them several times, so it would be fun for me to venture into Middle-Earth, even though its only Eriador, guess they will add other areas with expansions. Gonna try it I guess :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom