What video card do you have in your PC to play DAOC RvR in relatively nice graphics?

illu

Part of the furniture
I only ask as I saw a "relatively" cheap newish graphics card - Gecube X1950XT 256MB GDDR3 AGP Graphics Card - and checked out Toms Hardware and noticed that it is pretty much twice as good as my current main DAOC PC Graphics card (I think its a Nvidia 6800 GT).

I'm hoping that it will help make slightly smoother gameplaying in all games I play, and hopefully will make DAOC a little less choppy when I am recording while playing (but this might rely on a whole load of other factors like Harddrive speeds, RAM etc).

Changing from a Nvidia based card to ATI, is there anything I need to be aware of? I take it I just uninstall the Nvidia Drivers and install the latest ATI drivers from their website?

Anyway - feel free to flex your wallet power and tell me what graphics card you have in your machine!
And then maybe give a little description as to what kind of settings you use, and how smooth the game is to play :>

So for me it would be currently:
6800GT No-thrills setting 1152x864(I think) -> Smooth when not recording, Choppy when recording.

Hoping to become:
Gecube X1950XT 256MB GDDR3 AGP Graphics Card - Some thrills setting 1152x864 -> Smooth when not recording, Smooth as a baby's bottom when recording.

See what happens :>

Oli - Illu

kolomparas

Fledgling Freddie
i am currently using a geforce 8800gts 320mb gddr3...just tested on lotm best visuals at 1280x1024 and u cant even notice a difference while recording...imo dont spend money on a graphics card that does not support directx 10...

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
I got 2x GeForce 8800 GTX in SLI setup for pure bragging rights, although theres very little improvement in DAoC compared to my old card(ATi Radeon X1950 XTX) mainly notice the increase in FPS and the somewhat lesser drop in FPS when theres alot of stuff going on.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
GeForce 6600GT, heh. Only the 128mb version too :( I think my only saving grace at the moment is a good ABIT motherboard which supports it well.

Usually get 30fps in most zones, 25ish in agramon and about 17-18 when running fraps. Could blatently see the difference when I run it though in my vid, when split screen with laruthia came up :(

Dang I need a new one :(

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
using a asus geforce 7950GT with 512M ram on it, works fine for me in RvR and I lag very little in general. Can recommend it or some similar card in that pricerange if you dont want the topnotch stuff that cost alot more.

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
i am currently using a geforce 8800gts 320mb gddr3...just tested on lotm best visuals at 1280x1024 and u cant even notice a difference while recording...imo dont spend money on a graphics card that does not support directx 10...

how much does those type of cards cost now?

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
GeForce 7600 GT here with 256 MB on it. I will not buy a nVidia card again, the last 3 generations had all problems with the two way output (digital & analog DVI), sometimes disabling one of the outputs (driver issue).

censi

Can't get enough of FH
7800 gtx
was gonna get 2 in SLI eventually but just dont see the point... its handles everything fine

Bluesky

Fledgling Freddie
I did a big upgrade on my main gaming pc in january and got a new core2duo cpu, 2gig ram and a shiny 8800gtx which tbh is way overkill for DAoC but makes other games pretty uber :)

Recording fraps in DAoC now shows no lag whatsoever just a bit lower framerate while actually doing the recording (usually down to around 35-40fps in busy environments). Watching a fraps recording made in 1920x1200 resolution but then half sized through fraps on a big monitor really is amazing quality but I just wish I actually had somethign recording that was movie worthy lol

prodical

Fledgling Freddie
its not all about ur gfx card tho. a radeon 9800 can run daoc pretty well unless u meet a zerg. but the overall makeup of the computer helps. fast hard disk , gfx, cpu , ram and good motherboard are all important.

and if u get a gfx card go for duel 512mb ones, then a duel core processor and u will wet urself :D

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
I only ask as I saw a "relatively" cheap newish graphics card - Gecube X1950XT 256MB GDDR3 AGP Graphics Card - and checked out Toms Hardware and noticed that it is pretty much twice as good as my current main DAOC PC Graphics card (I think its a Nvidia 6800 GT).

I'm hoping that it will help make slightly smoother gameplaying in all games I play, and hopefully will make DAOC a little less choppy when I am recording while playing (but this might rely on a whole load of other factors like Harddrive speeds, RAM etc).

Changing from a Nvidia based card to ATI, is there anything I need to be aware of? I take it I just uninstall the Nvidia Drivers and install the latest ATI drivers from their website?

Anyway - feel free to flex your wallet power and tell me what graphics card you have in your machine!
And then maybe give a little description as to what kind of settings you use, and how smooth the game is to play :>

So for me it would be currently:
6800GT No-thrills setting 1152x864(I think) -> Smooth when not recording, Choppy when recording.

Hoping to become:
Gecube X1950XT 256MB GDDR3 AGP Graphics Card - Some thrills setting 1152x864 -> Smooth when not recording, Smooth as a baby's bottom when recording.

See what happens :>

Oli - Illu

Choppy when recording will be nowt to do with gcard. It will be cpu load, ram and harddisk performance. If you aint already, stick in a secondary hdd on a different controller and record to that.

Plus can we move this to techie please lovely mods?

Sigwyen

Fledgling Freddie
7950(256) GTX om main PC and X1600(512) on secondary 2 gigs of ram on main 1.5 on 2nd :)

SoulFly

Can't get enough of FH
I got 2x GeForce 8800 GTX in SLI setup for pure bragging rights, although theres very little improvement in DAoC compared to my old card(ATi Radeon X1950 XTX) mainly notice the increase in FPS and the somewhat lesser drop in FPS when theres alot of stuff going on.

GIEV

Takhasis

Can't get enough of FH
GeForce 7800GS+ 512MB AGP running 1280x1024 with full detail - v nice ;)

liloe

It's my birthday today!
I'm using a GeForce 7800GT

I think recording also depends on the rest of your system spec. Recording has more or less no impact, but I'm using a System with Two Xeon x64 CPU's and 4Gig RAM on a 64bit RAID Card :p

xenia-

Fledgling Freddie
2Ghz Pentium M Laptop with Geforce Go 6800 Ultra w/256 Mb, 1 Gig RAM and raid 0 disks, running 1440x900 - worked fine for DR client but getting some issues in Labyrinth now, so close to limit I suppose.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
I'm using a GeForce 7800GT

I think recording also depends on the rest of your system spec. Recording has more or less no impact, but I'm using a System with Two Xeon x64 CPU's and 4Gig RAM on a 64bit RAID Card :p

Living in a server cabinet? ;)

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Living in a server cabinet? ;)

One day I decided that I need a new computer and that I needed smth really strange, so I bought that system ^^ Well back then I still studied Computer Science, so I thought it would be cool to have such a system for compiling bigger projects while doing other stuff, it prooved wrong, but now I like it a lot =)

EDIT: Also, my parents agreed to pay my car, so I had lots of money leftover :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom