What to do in Edinburgh.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I'm taking my lass to Edinburgh for a weekend after the new year, but have absolutely no idea what to do up there beside go to the Zoo/Castle and all that predictable nonsense.

So yeah, what is there to do? Where are good places to eat/drink? etc etc

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Best thing to do? Leave, and go to Glasgow.
Wouldn't go to Glasgow if you paid me. Been to some rough areas round there. Postle is it. Something like that.

Edinburgh nicer to my southern tastes

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Wouldn't go to Glasgow if you paid me. Been to some rough areas round there. Postle is it. Something like that.

Edinburgh nicer to my southern tastes

Possil is your frame of reference for Glasgow? Jesus, not even the most deprived junkies would go near Possil.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Possil is your frame of reference for Glasgow? Jesus, not even the most deprived junkies would go near Possil.
Had to go there on a work venture. The water company had offices there. Got told by the cabbie not to go out of the offices for lunch hehe.

Never been anywhere else in Glasgow no. I guess it's a bit like going to moss side and saying mâché stars shit.. Which it is lol. Apart from all those posh footballer houses ;)

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
taking the mrs along for a dirty weekend of debauchery, rookie mistake ;)

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I'm taking my lass to Edinburgh for a weekend after the new year, but have absolutely no idea what to do up there beside go to the Zoo/Castle and all that predictable nonsense.

So yeah, what is there to do? Where are good places to eat/drink? etc etc

But seriously....

Edinburgh is a great city for "shortbread tin" tourism, especially at Christmas. It's not too big, and it's reasonably easy to get around as everything is close. It really depends on what you're interested in, but assuming you want to do the touristy stuff:

- check the Visit Scotland website for their Christmas events.
- see the Castle, it's a cliché but it gives you good views of the surrounding city as well as soaking up some of the local history.
- whilst you're at the Castle, do the Scotch Whisky Experience - it's very well done, they take you on a wee themed tour that explains the whole process and (depending on which tour you pay for) you get to sample the four main different areas with tasting notes. It's really good :).
- go for a walk up Arthur's seat for 360 degree panoramas. Arthur's seat is the eroded core of a 300 million year old volcano.
- go and see the Palace of Holyrood (a.k.a 'the queen's hoose') for some Scottish royalty.
- whilst you're at Holyrood, go and visit the Scottish Parliament in session as it's directly over the road from the palace.
- see some live music with real ales at Whistle Binkies.
- go to a couple of pubs in the Grassmarket in the Old Town. There's a couple of Irish pubs there and it's always moving with nightlife.
- ride the tram.
- like Indian food? Consider Kebabish Original - very popular with my Indian colleagues as it's probably the most accurate to their own food.
- like pan-asian buffets? Consider Cosmo - something for everyone there, all you can eat for £14.
- like boutique food and excellent dining? Tigerlily on George Street - the food is excellent, it's not cheap but it's mega trendy. Try to avoid a Friday and Saturday night for dinner, as it gets rammed with lawyers and bankers trying to stick their dicks in hot girls.
- Panda & Sons is an excellent little bar hidden away that do a massive variety of cocktails, local ales, craft beers and speciality brews. Highly recommend this place, although it is full of hipster types with trendy beards, rustic boots and braces.
- Bramble Bar is similar to Panda & Sons, but a bit darker and more underground. The cocktail list is exhaustive and the craft beer selection is superb. The service here is excellent.

That should keep you busy for a couple of days.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
lrgscaleUnion%20jack%20suit.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom