[QUESTION] What to be? Or not to be?

Thimble

Fledgling Freddie
I have been doing as much research on War as I could. Or as much as my wife will let me get away with since she knows a quit WoW so she can't understand why I spend time on the PC. My son told her I'm watching Redtube :twak: the little shit.

Anyway. I haven't decided between Order or Destruction. Like in WoW I enjoyed different aspects from both Horde and Alliance factions and from what I've read both Order and Destruction have some really cool classes.
My favorite two so far is Zealot and Warrior Priest. Both look like they could be a lot of fun. I've always prefered healing or caster classes but never really liked tanking classes.

In DaoC I had my Paladin and played him for a long time before I thought my wrist were gonna give out from twisting chants all the time. In WoW the paladin wasn't just a tank but could also be a healer which I thought was fantastic. Will the Warrior Priest be similar, perhaps in his roll as the WoW paladin? Does he have the capability to be great group healing class?

The Zealot looks like it can be a great healing class. Though scarey at the same time. My only worry is survivability. They wear no armor and from what I understand they can't really take a lot of pounding...or am I wrong?

I know trying out the different classes is what OB is for but I was wondering if any of you folks who tried out these classes in CB might have some insight to offer. At the very least I'd like to try and understand as much as I can about the class before I roll it.

Apollyn

Fledgling Freddie
My son told her I'm watching Redtube :twak: the little shit.

ROFL

I've not played the game yet, but have engaged in countless hours of research :D

WP seems to be a very aggressive healer, relies on dealing damage to build up good healing powers. AFAIK if you felt your pala was a bit too defensive/ lacked dps in WoW then WP is good for you as its an aggressive fighter with good healing capability (not the best - RP is more of a classic healer) that needs to be in the fight to heal well :D

Not sure on the destro side im afraid...

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
I played the DoK a bit in last phase of Beta, which is the mirror class to the warrior priest. My gut feeling was that it felt alot like my DaoC Paladin in that it didn't die easily but also took quite a while to kill things. They're a bit squishier than paladins though and probably couldn't be a 'main tank' against the tougher encounters.

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
I am going to use the beta to test allot of classes

Nymph

Fledgling Freddie
I'm quite sure I want to play a Dark Elf, question of Diciple of Khaine or Sorceress.

Also from WoW btw, hoping this game is gonna be the reason I quit.

stoff75

Fledgling Freddie
In WoW the paladin wasn't just a tank but could also be a healer which I thought was fantastic.

I think you have this backwards, paladin's primary role in WOW was healer, only in end game could you get good enough gear to be a viable tank. (I tanked through BT but it took alot of farming for the gear)

ANYWAY! Is there a reason not to try everything? I'm pretty sure you'll be able to create chars on both sides, right? I enjoy alting and plan to test every class this time around (I missed out on shamans and rogues in WOW).
Personally I'm going for the disciples... being an old warlock I gotsa have my life tap!!

Thimble

Fledgling Freddie
No not backwards. It was a comparison between DaoC paladins and WoW paladins. In DaoC paladins were primarily Tanks. They could go melee offensive and there were a few ppl who doned a 2hander and enjoyed RvR but I don't remember ever having a dps paladin in a Darkspire raid. They were never a healing class. Thier healing chants really only helped to maintain aggro. Cleric iirc was the only true healing class after the smite cleric got nerfed. Though I think Friars could heal pretty well if spec'd for it.

In WoW, yes pre tbc paladins were primarily healers. (mainly because they sucked at tanking and retribution was laughable) Post tbc made paladin tanking viable and indeed some instances enabled pala tanks to excel. Mount Hyjal for example could be considered customized for the Paladin Tank. Retribution was still a bit of laugh due to the lack of dps in pve and most pre-sunwell guilds didn't use Retadins. Pvp is a different matter. A well geared Ret pala can deal out some heafty damage and it looks like in WotlK Paladins are getting a big boost. Until they're nerfed anyway.

However this has gotten off of the original topic. The question was basiclly are Warrior Priest going to have one defined roll as the DaoC Paladin or will it be more diverse like the WoW Paladin. Able to excel well in any spec.

Robot

Fledgling Freddie
Myself and a few guildies played warrior priest in beta and we all kinda came to the conclusion that they are a jack of all trades, master of none type of class. The don't seem to excel in any one thing. They can heal decent enough. Take a fair beating, but not as much as a tank and can do some not bad damage.

Libh

Fledgling Freddie
My 2c

I have'nt played the game yet either, but from doing a little research it seemes to me that the purest support classes are the Zealot and the Runepriest. All of their 3 skillstrees has got a dmg/heal mix.

The Shaman and Archmage are caster/healer hybrids (- hybrids to a greater extent than the RP and Zealot). They can be speced very heavily into healing but they allso have 2 skilltrees that has got nothing to do with healing (leaving only the baseline skills for healing, wich wont be as strong when not speced)

And the Warrior Priest and Disciple of Khaine are the mele/healing hybrids. Like the Shaman/Archmage these guys have 1 tree for healing, but on paper these looks like the weakest healers/support of all 6, but in return these 2 support their group mainly by smacking the enemy and not by directly targeting their group (tho they do this aswell ofc). Meaning if you smack the enemy around your group gets heals/buffs etc.

It allso seemes like Orders 3 healers are a wee bit more support (read heal) oriented, while destruction makes up for this by generaly having more abilities that makes the enemy healers lives harder.

Hope this helped.. and feel free to flame me if I got anothing wrong :)

Popov

Fledgling Freddie
I've played the WP quite a bit through closed beta and have found it to be a good class with a feel of a pre TBC druid/Ret pally. There is no way in hell you could tank anything significant although I did tank the Bastian Stair instance once but it was far from ideal, a tank would have been a far better option.

I find the WP and DoK are best played as a generalist, i.e. focusing your talents too far on healing doesn't seem to dramatically increase your ability to heal and focusing on damage doesn't turn you into a full on DPS melee class. Theres a slight diference in feel between the WP and DoK with the WP biased towards healing and DoK biased towards DPS output, I spec the talents to emphasise this so maybe thats exagerating it for me.

Overall the class definintely has it's place both as a soloer and has nice group skills which can enhance any group both pve and RvR. as long as you choose your targets wisely [stick to squishies] and don't wade into a crowd [zerg] you will find the class both effective and fun.

Here's my planned talent specs so you get an idea of what I mean by "generalist" (you can replace cleansing power with Divine Fury to emphasise dmg a bit more over healing on WP)

WP Warrior Priest Career Builder - Warhammer Online

DoK Disciple of Khaine Career Builder - Warhammer Online

Hope that helped.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
However this has gotten off of the original topic. The question was basiclly are Warrior Priest going to have one defined roll as the DaoC Paladin or will it be more diverse like the WoW Paladin. Able to excel well in any spec.

i think something between a daoc paladin and a friar.

Redflower

Fledgling Freddie
Key classes I played in the closed beta were rune priest, warrior priest, sword master, hammerer (R.I.P.) and sorcerer. I'll probably opt for sorcerer, but if I were to pick from one of those healer classes again, I'd probably go for warrior priest again, far less squishy than the runie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom