What the hell has happened to my insurance premium?!?!?

Killswitch

FH is my second home
My apartment is in a town-centre postcode (despite being in the middle of a sodding park in one of the lowest crime areas of the town) so my premium last year was bad (£775) I think. So another year on, my annual mileage is down, I'm up to 8 years No Claims and my car value has gone down by £1000 or so.

Renewal quote? £1400!!!!!!!!

Shit the bed!!!

Switched provider and got it down to "only" £850 but even so! Do they know something I don't?

Think we'll be moving soon anyway, since my landlord has decided all the apartments in the block need pre-paid meters and the tokens will only be purchasable 9-5 Mon-Fri in the town centre. Idiots!

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I've seen a few posts on Facebook about massive rises in insurance premiums.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Mine went from 650 to 750 even though i now have 4 years no claims and should be getting a 35% discount, i need to change companies

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
My apartment is in a town-centre postcode (despite being in the middle of a sodding park in one of the lowest crime areas of the town) so my premium last year was bad (£775) I think. So another year on, my annual mileage is down, I'm up to 8 years No Claims and my car value has gone down by £1000 or so.

Shit the bed!!!

Switched provider and got it down to "only" £850 but even so! Do they know something I don't?

Think we'll be moving soon anyway, since my landlord has decided all the apartments in the block need pre-paid meters and the tokens will only be purchasable 9-5 Mon-Fri in the town centre. Idiots!

Even £775 seems expensive with 7 years no claims. What you driving?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!

Double check this, but I'm fairly sure that if you pay the bills then you can choose how to pay. The contract with the energy supplier is with you, and you can change your meter for free (only once a year I believe). So your landlord cannot force pre-paid meters on you, unless he pays the bills.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Mine went down with a more powerful car.

Switch insurers if you can.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Check out the Panorama post I made, everything is explained in that program. Everyone's insurance is going to take a massive hit this year and again next year.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
yep, it's the claim and blame culture in which we live at cause, and underhanded law firms out to make a quick quid.

Have a look around though, all our household cars (6 between my dad's and uncle's houses) are with more than. they were the cheapest by far for all the cars.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
If they banned insurance companies passing your details onto claim solicitors everyones premiums would drop hugely.

Fucking cnts in government actually need to do something for us.

eksdee

FH is my second home
Mine went up by £100 this year, but this is crazy. It is going to get to a point where the average Joe won't be able to afford to drive anymore if things carry on in this way to be honest.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Same thing happened for me last year.
I'd been with Direct Line for a couple of years so I was expecting the premium to come down again.
No, it was almost doubled.
I told them they could stick their renewal quote and to send my NCB notice.

Hit the net and just about every other insurer was cheaper than what I was currently paying. In the end I went with Swiftcover for £33/month.
TBQFH, I'll just get shot of the car. I always drive the company car and my own is just sat on the driveway, SORNed.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Even £775 seems expensive with 7 years no claims. What you driving?

Cheap and nasty Saab 9-3. I'm pretty sure it's the postcode that's screwing me...if I get a quote on the roads around my place (which are all HX3) it's about £300 less, but because I'm HX1 then it's "ker-ching!".

Double check this, but I'm fairly sure that if you pay the bills then you can choose how to pay. The contract with the energy supplier is with you, and you can change your meter for free (only once a year I believe). So your landlord cannot force pre-paid meters on you, unless he pays the bills.

It's a weird one here...the landlord (ie the people who manage the apartment complex) pay the electric for the whole block (one big meter). They then have meters for each apartment and the bills come to us directly from the landlord. It's a proper weird setup.

Same thing happened for me last year.
I'd been with Direct Line for a couple of years so I was expecting the premium to come down again.
No, it was almost doubled.
I told them they could stick their renewal quote and to send my NCB notice.

Hit the net and just about every other insurer was cheaper than what I was currently paying. In the end I went with Swiftcover for £33/month.
TBQFH, I'll just get shot of the car. I always drive the company car and my own is just sat on the driveway, SORNed.

Hehe...it was Swiftcover who wanted to double my premium. Jackasses. I ended up going with Tesco, which saved me £700 or so and got me a pile of Clubcard points :/

Jimmy

Resident Freddy
it really depends on what's in the tenancy agreement if for example there is a prepayment already and the agreement states that can not be changed then there is nothing that can be done same with who supplys it . Still sounds dodgy that your bill comes form your land lord. Heard some werid set ups but that's a new one to me

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Renewals are for mugs. You have to shop around every year now.

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned

Shit the bed!!!

Try AdrianFlux, I switch every year, but they held on me for 3 years in a row :p

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I hate car insurance. Why oh why, can't we have basic third-party cover for everyone, paid for out of car and fuel taxation? Then it's up to the individual whether or not they want comprehensive cover.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I lolled hard at the best they could come up with a couple of years ago, was about 2.5k to insure my wife on a 1 litre Micra. She had 6 years no claims and very low mileage, about 10 miles a day.

Corran

Part of the furniture
Aye this blame and claim is rediculous. I was hit a couple years ago. Sure it broke the car axle but it was a soft hit with some stupid bitch reversing into me from close range. Though it was expensive fix as needed a whole axle replacement etc there was no chance of injury, it was merely due to the way she collided with the car and what not.

12months later I get message to claim my £4k injury compensation... ignore it.... every month for the past 12months I can pretty much be sure to get a message from them. It is this shit that makes people go "oh well I may as well claim as they tell me Im due it" and thus prices go up.

If all companies stopped selling the details, then claims will go down, their compensation amounts go down, they dont need to sell to get the money back! But noooooooooo, they just wont agree to that.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
There's a lot of things wrong with the system I think...I still remember my premium trebling after a crash. My car was parked on my parents private drive, 20ft off the road, behind a wall. I was sat in the front room having dinner when an driver in a stolen car came through the gate and wrote my car off. He jumped out and ran away and wasn't found.

So I paid my £500 excess and then watched my premium go from 1200 to 3600 quid. Not sure I could be much less "at fault".

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
Adrian Flux are brokers, they don't underwrite the policy just find you the best policy/price.
At Adrian Flux, our underwriters are experts in matching quality policies to imported and custom cars, no matter how rare or unusual, so why not let them find the best policy for you?

They are brokers / underwriters and not the same as other brokers, they have done a great job every time for me. barring in mind I'm IAM certified, they always give best deal. Each year they put it up a few quid, I always shop around everywhere, then call them back and tell them what I have. beat it or I'm gone and they always do and it's the best underwriting deal I could possibly get.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Ours dropped very slightly, but we really do live in the middle of nowhere. The rumour I heard was that it is in part due to new data available about the number of police callouts per area now being readily available to insurance companies. I have my doubts though, I would have thought that info would have been available to them for years; it is publically available now though.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Yup , mine went from 580 to 1000 on my L200, shopped around got it back to 590, my original insurance company presumably didn't want the business.
The daughters boyfriend pays 2700 for his little seat at eighteen, meanwhile
the my ex brother in law earns 90 grand a year and a Porsche Cayenne company car with profit bonus selling these 'services' to public.
And they wonder why people think they're fair game to be had over.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The problem is they don't get had over, we do. Insurance companies are basically financial institutions that want more money each year. Not only do they raise their premiums to cover dodgy claims, uninsured drivers, shitty drivers, investment losses etc but also to grow their annual profit. That's what they exist for.

It's about time a harder line was taken on uninsured drivers too, a handful of points and a tiny fine just isn't enough. I was half watching some cop show last night before Torchwood and they were just driving about picking up chavs without insurance, licences, cars not fit for the road. It was mostly a slap on the wrist and a giggle. Absolute joke.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
they do take the cars now and crush them sometimes, but they are only worth a few hundred quid ;/

my insurance is 1100 this year, been driving over 10 years, no accidents
its shit :(

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
When I was in the UK I used my mums address in Cornwall, rather than S and NW London for good reason. If I ever had a accident or someone stole my car, I would just say I was visiting family or whatever. That coupled with IAM, NCB and shopping around hard every year saved me a fortune.

It's not "morally spot on" but I still pay and I don't see why a postcode should make me pay £££££ more. Fully comp insurance here is like £200 a year on 30grand cars, and their are way more accidents / deaths ... UK is just a giant rip off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom