Music what media player do you use?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Thats odd, im connecting mine to a samba share on Linux.
My server is running Ubuntu 10.4, connected by wire through a D-link DIR-655 (not that the network really matter).
True, you do loose some versitility compared to a HTPC but for £99...

The only thing im missing on it is the ability to run spotify from it, but i guess you cant have everything :D

I used SeasonPass to jailbreak it as others mentioned that using anything else breaks samba. It connects fine to SMB shares on Windows 7 just not to my Ubuntu server.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
I used SeasonPass to jailbreak it as others mentioned that using anything else breaks samba. It connects fine to SMB shares on Windows 7 just not to my Ubuntu server.

I used Greenpois0n and jailbreaked it to ios 4.2.1

You might want to give that a try if you have 10 minutes to spare :)

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Oh come on. If you want quality you pay for it, be it the equipment or the storage to accomodate it. You cannot have it both ways.

My FLAC library is now nearing 400gig, I keep 3 copies on 3 separate devices. Do I care about the cost? Fuck no, I care about the quality and the amount of effort put in to rip most of my CDs to FLAC.

Likewise, my amp, speakers and cable costs thousands. If I wanted shit quality I would not invest in it. FLAC is the number one container for those that strive to have lossless audio in a container that no **** can come along and slap a patent on.

Seriously?? 3 copies on 3 separate devices? I don't know which type of devices you're talking about, but you think that'd be secure? How and when do you find out if an error occurred? Do you keep checksums of all files and regularly test them?
Read this for funsies:
Data corruption is worse than you know | ZDNet

I've got everything on a Solaris (pick your flavour, OpenSolaris, OpenIndiana or Solaris 11 Express, I'm running the latter for now.) server using a 5-disk (2TB/disk) RAID-Z2 zpool. My intention to place a RAID-Z1 backup system somewhere else for additional redundancy later on, but don't have the funds for that now.

PS: system spec
1 x Asus M4A88TD-M/USB3
1 x AMD Phenom II X4 840 Boxed
1 x Kingston 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC
5 x Hitachi 5K3000 2TB
1 x Codegen 4U-500
1 x Fortron AURUM 500

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
you sound like my colleague Stef :)

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
So can we actually acknowledge that FLAC is and can be a pain in the arse yet? :) The fact that it's caused so much to and froing in terms of how to get it all sorted clearly shows that it IS a pain in the arse for many people. Cost, compatibility, collection, source, audio equipment - it really isn't as simple as was being made out at the beginning.

FLAC gets on my fucking tits, I am actually in the middle of a bulk migration from FLAC to ALAC because ALAC is going to give me so much less of a headache than FLAC or WMA lossless. FLAC doesn't quite like WMP, iTunes doesn't like FLAC, the PS3 doesn't like FLAC. Tbh it can flac off.

ALAC on the other hand (other than being a Steve Jobs injected FLAC) will simply import into iTunes and it's fully compaticle with Sonos hardware.

old.user4556

FLAC is the number one container for those that strive to have lossless audio in a container that no **** can come along and slap a patent on.

However FLAC is open source, so the big players don't really want to support it incase the goal posts move.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
FLAC doesn't quite like WMP, iTunes doesn't like FLAC, the PS3 doesn't like FLAC.

TBH that's more a problem with the proprietary Microsoft & Apple codes than FLAC. All FLAC does is compress slinear audio. It's how you convert your input audio data to that raw format that is the problem.

Oh and Apple are 'see you next tuesday's . "If you don't do it the Apple way you can fuck off"

old.user4556

Indeed, but I find that all the lossless formats are a bit wanky that way.

old.user4556

I'm not following you fully Zarjazz; are you saying that it's the manufacturers (Apple, M$, audio manufacturers etc.) that need to come onboard with FLAC?

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Ideally yes but you have to be realistic. A commercial company doesn't want to force itself to be {insert freeware codec compliant}. ALAC is proprietary, no matter what Apple may say on their marketing webpages.

The code for flac is completely open-source and it works extremely well (where I work does approximately 0.5TB of .flac audio a day! so I feel like I know what I'm talking about) so why would Apple chose another codec unless it was for commerical reasons?

old.user4556

The code for flac is completely open-source and it works extremely well

Which is great, but it falls flat on its face in practice. It's just not that well supported by enough transport mechanisms meaning a lot of dicking around with transcoding just to play some bloody music. Even Linn have instructions on their website on how to transcode FLAC to other formats.

I'm not blaming FLAC per sé, I'm pissed off with the multiple formats and I wish 'they' would do more to agree on a standard for lossless audio.

I expect Sony will announce their own format any day now called SHITFACE (sony high intensity transcoded fantastic audio chocolate ecclair).

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Which is great, but it falls flat on its face in practice. It's just not that well supported by enough transport mechanisms meaning a lot of dicking around with transcoding just to play some bloody music. Even Linn have instructions on their website on how to transcode FLAC to other formats.

I'm not blaming FLAC per sé, I'm pissed off with the multiple formats and I wish 'they' would do more to agree on a standard for lossless audio.

I expect Sony will announce their own format any day now called SHITFACE (sony high intensity transcoded fantastic audio chocolate ecclair).

That is the point Zarjazz is trying to make, most of the companies that have music stores will not encompass a royalty and patent free codec which does what it is designed to do extremely well.

Many hardware manufacturers have embraced FLAC. All my audio equipment at home plays FLAC natively apart from the PS3 (Sony Music studios...) and Apple (Itunes).

old.user4556

Oh and take a look at the following page:

FLAC - comparison

Which has biased mistakes in it :).

Don't get me wrong deebs, I have very much embraced FLAC, fucking godsend. It's just that for my needs I need to convert it to ALAC since Sonos supports FLAC and ALAC, but iTunes only supports ALAC. No brainer.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
FLAC fanboys are even more aggressive than Apple fanboys in defence of their loverly, it seems ;)

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Which has biased mistakes in it :).

Don't get me wrong deebs, I have very much embraced FLAC, fucking godsend. It's just that for my needs I need to convert it to ALAC since Sonos supports FLAC and ALAC, but iTunes only supports ALAC. No brainer.

If you use iTunes then yes, no brainer. Thankfully someone reverse engineered ALAC else you would be stuff if you used iTunes to rip.

FLAC fanboys are even more aggressive than Apple fanboys in defence of their loverly, it seems ;)

Not at all Wazzerphuk, I just hate propriatery things which are just an attempt to lock you into their "way", same as I am very much against any form of DRM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom